Menu

Phonics for toddler

Guest Lizcarr2010

Guest Lizcarr2010

I am starting to teach letters and phonics to my 2 year old son. I was hoping to get opinions on Leapfrog Fridge Phonics. We don't spend much time on this but our standard fridge letters tend up end up on the floor. My thoughts were that the sounds would increase his interests.

Thanks for your input :)

My kids loved the Fridge Phonics letters, but they still ended up all over the floor. Such is the life of a toddler. :D

At 2, I wouldn't worry about it. Your kid has plenty of time to learn letters. Spend a lot of time reading to your child, and he'll probably start to get interested in the letters. There are good alphabet books as well, such as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

My kids loved the Fridge Phonics letters, but they still ended up all over the floor. Such is the life of a toddler. :D

At 2, I wouldn't worry about it. Your kid has plenty of time to learn letters. Spend a lot of time reading to your child, and he'll probably start to get interested in the letters. There are good alphabet books as well, such as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

This.  Read the Well-Trained Mind if you haven't already.  It will help keep you on track academically.

My 3 year old loved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  Honestly, at that age, kids just need to be read to...A LOT.  Read a lot of high quality picture books with beautiful artwork.  Snuggle on the couch. Avoid the television and give him toys that are open ended and that require imagination.  Play outside a lot.  Just enjoy this time.  There is plenty of time for curricula later.  

My 4 yr old picked up all the sounds of the alphabet using the Letterland book. Then we went onto Bob Books.

We had those fridge phonic letters, and I found that only a few letters would get used continually. They can't hurt to have, but not essential.

In my humble opinion 2 yrs is just too early to worry about them learning phonics. Like the lady above said- enjoy cuddles on the couch while reading to him. :)

At 2 with both my children I just point out letters everywhere - sign boards and product labels are usually written in capitals however so I also wrote out a lot of words and specifically looked for signs that used small letters to point out to my children when shopping or driving. Naturally their names were one of the best places to start and my now 3 year old still associates each letter with the name of someone who matters to her (so "M" in her mind belongs to "Mummy" and "D" belongs to "Daddy" - both the capital and small letter, however she is aware that those letters belong to many words in many different places in the words too)

If you want to teach phonics to a 2 year old though besides teaching letter sounds I would start blending for the child - only through hearing it - you do not have to even point out letters to do this, you can just speak it "Look, there is a c-a-t, cat..." and so on. The more they hear it done for them at this age the easier it will be when they try sounding out words for themselves.

My DDs did both basic phonics and sight words (without formal lessons) at age 2.