Menu

High School Spanish - HELP!

Hello, I have just spent the last ~too-many-hours~ researching these boards for advice on what to do for high school Spanish.

We currently have Rosetta Stone 1-5, purchased for a steal on Craigslist several years back (my husband wanted to learn Spanish, but hasn't found the time, tee hee). I love the idea that I already have the discs - cost is free! However, I am very concerned about the lack of grammar instruction if we use RS.

Is there something we can use to supplement the RS? Is that what you would do if you already had the discs sitting on your shelf?

Another option is TPS, but I am concerned about workload for my ninth grader. She will be taking a couple other courses for the first time through TPS, and I don't want to completely overwhelm her right off the bat. Advice???

FYI, my sister is fluent in Spanish (that is all she speaks at home to her kids; her husband is native to Mexico) and lives down the street from us. Pretty much every-other-person that we know also speaks Spanish, so my dd would have plenty of opportunity to practice her skills in conversations.

Please help me!!!

... advice on what to do for high school Spanish.

One book to consider would be

Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish: A Creative and Proven Approach by Margarita Madrigal

Here are a few older threads that discuss it.

Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish: A Creative and Proven Approach

Rosetta Stone not working out?

In which Dee decides to learn Spanish

Regards,

Kareni

Depending on what you are learning the language for, and how your student responds RSO might be fine. Especially if you know a native speaker your child can talk to and ask questions. My son bombed out on it, however he wants to be a linguist. It was important he could not only read/write/speak the language, but also explain why it behaved certain ways. Rosetta does not explain, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it with you kid if conversational language and box checking as the goals.

We're going with Paso A Paso 1 for Spanish 1 with Madrigal's Magic Key on the shelf for an extra resource. I've read through some of the book, but we don't have any actual experience with it yet. Madrigal looks like a gem.

We play around with Duolingo already and really enjoy it, but it does not actually teach the grammar.

Thank you to everyone for the advice (and the laughs, flyingiguana)!

It looks like I have some more research to complete. I have ordered Madrigal's Magic Key, so hopefully that combined with the links and information you have provided will point me in the right direction.

Thank you!