Menu

Alternatives to Rosetta Stone?

We use Rosetta Stone online (meaning that we will have to pay again every year.) Although my daughter enjoys the program and has learned quite a bit, she did not get as far as I would have thought.  It's VERY expensive (250 per year per person) and we haven't had success using it with more than one kid (totally totally messed up her progress over and over)  

So, in one level there are, I think, 12 levels that each have ten levels each.  She is only on level 3.  So she has completed 30 out of the 120 lessons.  I thought she was doing great, until I sat down and realized how NOT far we had gotten through.  

So...are there any other alternatives...I know and like Duolingo but I'm not sure it's really complete enough. 

My son uses GSWS and I have been VERY impressed with his progress, but of course the big white elephant there is what to use AFTER GSWS.  But...it definitely is awesome.  ANd cheap.

Any other ideas?  I'm thinking like 40.00 would be more reasonable for the amount of time we can spend on it.

We like Visual Link Spanish here.  DS started it after GSWS and he likes that it is independent, online and self-paced.  You can sign up for a free trial.  It isn't crazy expensive anyway but the various levels go on sale quite frequently if you can wait a bit.  You'll get email sale notices if you sign up for a trial.  There's a link to it in my sig.

ETA - We have pretty good high speed DSL internet and still had issues with the VLS website (some parts slow to load, jumpy) using the online version.  We switched to the download version and have had no problems since.  HTH.