Menu

Nerdybird's Epic Listing of Educational YouTube Links

Disclaimer-ish Greeting:

Welcome to the grand pooh-bah of link lists! :thumbup1:

I decided to post a list of educational programs for children that are currently available on YouTube (and a few bonus links to content available on other sites) as of 2/4/2014. Most of these were verified as working between 1/20/2014-2/4/2014. I cannot guarantee that these will always work or remain active. Some may be removed due to copyright violations, or due to the original posters removing the content from their channels.

I tried to select programs that are currently unavailable through other sources such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, or WorldCAT (digital catalogs for inter-library loan). If you have an internet wizard in your life, you may be able to find entire seasons or other related content available for download or streaming online. However, I did not want to post things that may of questionable legal status here. All of my links are to things are legally posted under the educational clauses of the US and British copyright laws (to the best of my knowledge, anyway.)

Some of these programs aired on PBS or other public television venues here in the US during the 1970s-2000s. Others were/are being made especially for YouTube by different groups and institutions or individual educators, hobbyists, collectors, or enthusiasts. Some of the audiobooks and radio shows are posted for archival purposes and are of mediocre quality.

This list is geared towards younger children, pre-k and grammar stage mostly, with some logic stage friendly links mixed in. I may make another list for older children/teens in the future. This list is not perfect nor is it exhaustive. It has many gaps and I left a lot of content off. I wanted this list to be full of general reference points for other media-conscious parents and homeschoolers to consult for educational and entertainment purposes.

Please be aware that some of this content may not be available to users from outside of the United States. There is nothing I can do about that, sorry. :(

Happy viewing and listening! :D

~Nerdy H. Bird

PS - This is an ongoing project for me. I am an extreme link hoarder with multiple computers and YouTube accounts. If you have a request or are looking for a particular resources in the YouTube-a-verse, shoot me a PM and I will try to help you find it somewhere on the interwebs. I will be adding to these lists periodically and doing my best to keep it current for now.

!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!! - Click "show" below to view complete lists of updates and additions.

UPDATE NOTES AS OF 2/10/2014:

• Added "Ballet" to A-R List
  • Added "Christian Music For Children" to A-R List
  • Updated content on "Electric Company" List
  • Added "Math" to A-R List
  • Added "Music" to A-R List
  • Updated content on "Schoolhouse Rock" List
  • Added "Scripture Memory Songs" to S-Z List
  • Removed emoticons, cleaned up some bad links

UPDATE NOTES AS OF 2/24/2014:

• Added Classic Films to list
  • Added Our Gang Films to list
  • Added Shakespeare's Animated Tales to list
  • Added Animated Fairy Tales to list
  • Fixed a few typos

The actual lists will begin in the following posts. ;)

• Like 9

NERDYBIRD'S LIST OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE

A-R

Adventures in the Book of Virtues
*Note: There are more episodes available. I kept this list short.

Compassion
Courage
Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan
Honest Abe
Honesty
Perserverance
Respect
Responsibility
Self-Discipline
The Dancing Horses

Animated Tales of the World and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics

*NOTE: This is a collection of tales that aired on cable in the 1970s-1990s in the US, Canada and Japan. Most are VHS uploads of varying quality. Some of these are uploads from the fantastic series Ă¢â‚¬Å“Grimm's Fairy Tale ClassicsĂ¢â‚¬. GFTC aired in Japan and the US during the 80s. These were dubbed in English for the US audience, but the cartoons maintained their distinct Japanese style and flavor. These cartoons stay pretty true to Grimm's stories. For that reason, I recommend viewing these with older children (7+ in my home) and being prepared to answer questions should they arise. I may add more to this list as I dig deeper into my link archives.

Arabian Nights
Part 1 // Part 2

Old Sultan
Part 1 // Part 2 // Part 3
*NOTE: This episode is based on the tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“Old SultanĂ¢â‚¬. One of my favorite Grimm's, and the only video from this list that I would watch with my littles. Ignore the added text on the opening screen that says something to the effect of Ă¢â‚¬Å“Nickelodeon SucksĂ¢â‚¬.

Rikki Tikki Tavi

Snow White and Rose Red
Part 1 // Part 2
*NOTE: The mother is strangely calm about her daughter thrashing a bear with a switch...and that bear can talk. All in all, a strange yet fun adaptation. My kids love this one.

The Four Skillful Brothers
*NOTE: This is pretty faithful to Grimm's version. It is also related to the Chinese tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Five Chinese BrothersĂ¢â‚¬.

The Magic Heart
*NOTE: This story is loosely (very loosely) based on the tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Donkey and The CabbagesĂ¢â‚¬.

The Naughty Spirit
*NOTE: This episode is based on Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Dragon and his GrandmotherĂ¢â‚¬ (Also referred to as Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Devil and his GrandmotherĂ¢â‚¬.). It features depictions of demons, Beezelbub, and tame depictions of what I assume to be Hell.

The Story of the Summer Garden and Winter Garden
Part 1 // Part 2
*NOTE: This is a nice take on Beauty and the Beast. Has some decidedly Japanese flair and is an excellent example of early anime-style cartoons.

Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story From China
//
//

*NOTE: This story features magical talking fish bones and has very eastern point of view. DD really likes this one, but it is not for everyone.

Animated Tales - Mythic Warriors

*NOTE: This is an animated series that ran on Saturday mornings on CBS during the late 90s in Canada and the US. It consists of re-tellings of Greek myths geared for children.

Androcles and the Lion

Andromeda the Warrior Princess

Atlanta the Wild Girl

Bellerophan and Pegasus

Hercules and Iolas

Icarus and Daedalus

Jason and the Argonauts

King Midas: The Golden Touch

Odysseus and Circe

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse

Persephone and the Winter Seeds

Perseus and the Search for Medusa

Prometheus and Pandora's Box

Pschye and Eros

The Labours of Hercules

Theseus and the Minotaur

Ulysses and the Journey Home

Audiobooks
*Note: Most of these are NOT in the public domain. Some of these are not actual audiobooks. They are fan-made and may feature original artwork, or the abridged versions of the stories. Watch before letting your kids loose with these. I have tried to select the ones that I thought were the highest quality or that my kids watched the most. It's a subjective list. ;)

Playlist of Audio Picture Books
Includes:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?
Caps For Sale
Corduroy
Guess How Much I Love You
Bear Snores On
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
And Many More...

Others:
I Want My Hat Back
Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site

(A parody of Goodnight, Moon. Funny. Does not feature text.)
Giraffes Can't Dance

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go

Audio Chapter Books

Ender's Game (Not recommended for young children. Unabridged. No chapter breaks.)
(11 HOURS of content, with chapter breaks listed in the "About" section.)
My Father's Dragon (This is a Librivox recording read by a young boy. No chapter breaks.)
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Ballet
*NOTE: Should probably be an aside to the music section, but I decided that ballet is worthy enough to stand on its own. My DD loves ballet and her brothers will often watch it as well. Our first ballet film was the excellent documentary called Ă¢â‚¬Å“First PositionĂ¢â‚¬ that we viewed on Netflix for family movie time. Ballet is a great way to show children that there is context for classical music outside of the music itself. It is a great alternative to endless streams of educational videos, animated entertainment and documentary films that make up the majority of what many homeschooling families watch. Ballet performances are also great for naptime/quiet time viewing. ;)

Ballet is not for everyone. It does feature scantily clad persons, members of the opposite sex touching, lifting and embracing one another, and content that some may deem inappropriate for children. (Scenes of death, violence, and other such things are artistically portrayed in ballet performances.) I strongly recommend pre-screening all ballets you plan on sharing with your children prior to their viewing it. Ballet can also be good family entertainment as well, provided that you comfortable with questions and impromptu performance antics. Also, keep your expectations realistic. Most young children will not sit through a ballet in its entirety. Some older children will want to re-watch certain parts over and over again. Other times, you will have to skip certain portions for content or time.

Please enjoy the following links.

*NOTE: This performance was uploaded from DVD and is in HD. The LCB is composed entirely of children and this ballet features an all-child cast. Very nice.

*NOTE: This was filmed in 1969. Quality is ok. This is slow starter, imo. Best saved for quiet time.

Alice In Wonderland: The Royal Ballet
The Flowers and Alice
The Mad Hatter
*NOTE: These are clips. You can purchase or rent the whole performance from Amazon. You may also try looking for it on DVD at your local library and/or doing a WorldCAT search. It is a very stunning and kid-friendly ballet based on a classic work of literature.

*NOTE: This was filmed in 1984. Quality is ok. There is no real story to this one, as it was written mostly to showcase Chopin's music. It is only about 30 minutes long and makes great background music for silent reading, art and penmanship practice.

*NOTE: This is a short piece filmed for television in 1973. Funny, cute and a gentle introduction to ballet for little ones.

*NOTE: This was filmed in 1987. The quality is good for a VHS upload. This ballet is a slow-starter, imho. Probably best saved for older children and naptime viewing.

Minkus' Don Quixote: Mariinsky Ballet Theatre
*NOTE: This is very good quality for a ballet on YouTube. Definitely worth the investment of time. Also a gentle introduction of a classic work of literature. This is probably the best full ballet to start with if you plan on watching with kids. It is well-written and the dancers do a great job of conveying the messages of the original work. ;)

Minkus' La BayadĂƒÂ¨re (The Temple Dancer): The National Ballet, Paris
*NOTE: This is very good quality for a ballet on YouTube. A plot outline is available here for those who do not know the story (I didn't, had to look it up!)

*NOTE: This was recorded in 1980. Uploaded from VHS. Mediocre quality. Here is a plot outline. However, Krachaturian's music is not to be missed here. Do you recognize
? I've heard it many times in cartoons and like, but I never knew that it came from this ballet until a few months ago. We love this one, despite the poor quality of the video. It's my favorite, shhh don't tell the other videos, they'll be sad! 

Khachaturian's Spartacus: The Bolshoi Ballet
*NOTE: This ballet features a male lead and lots of tight fitting costumes and skin-showing. Still, it appeals to my boys and is a powerful story worthy of viewing.

*NOTE: Quality is mediocre, probably a VHS upload. Not recommended for larger screens, imo. A piece that would make a good introduction to ballet for young children.

*NOTE: This was filmed in 1990. The quality is ok, but definitely not HD. Includes the happy ending, not the tragic one.

Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker: Mariinsky Theatre Ballet Company
*NOTE: Video is of good quality. Not great. Features scenes with child dancers, IIRC.

Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream set to Mendelssohn's Music: La Scala Ballet Company
*NOTE: The quality of this video is very good. Not quite HD, but better than most ballet performance videos on YouTube.

Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet set to music by Prokofiev: The National Ballet, Paris
*NOTE: Quality is ok at best. Not recommended for larger screens.

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring: Joffrey Ballet Company
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1989. It is most likely a VHS upload, judging by quality. Ok, but probably not something you'd want to stream to a large HD screen, imo.

BBC Earth
*Note: Mostly clips. Lots of David Attenborough .

BBC Earth Channel Page

Between the Lions Music Videos (no full episodes on this list)

(cute music video for kids who reverse and mix up these two lowercase letters)

Bob Ross (Joy of Painting)

Channel Page #1
Channel Page #2
Assorted Clips Channel Page

Christian Music For Children
*NOTE: This section DOES NOT include scripture memory songs! Those can be found under Ă¢â‚¬Å“Scripture Memory SongsĂ¢â‚¬ on the S-Z list. The songs found here are kid-friendly worship songs, along with some tracks from the Veggie Tales series that my kids like. :)

Books of the Bible Song -- Old Testament
Books of the Bible Song -- New Testament

Classic Disney Films
*NOTE: This is a list of works from the classic era of Disney (1940s-1960s.) Most of these movies and shows may be available to you through your public library or a WorldCAT request. Most are also sold through Amazon or can be rented via Netflix, YouTube or Amazon services in the US. Please be aware that these are copyrighted and may be pulled at any time. I am linking to these for educational purposes, as I believe that many of the early works of Disney were of superb quality and make great conversation starters and supplements to works of classic literature. Titles are intentionally misspelled as to avoid trackbacks and video flagging. Click "show" below to see the titles.

20000 Leaguez Under the Sea
*NOTE: Based on the story by Jules Verne. A great movie for boys.

Babez in Toy Land

Bigg Red
Part 1 // Part 2 // Part 3 // Part 4 // Part 5 // Part 6
*NOTE: Based on Jim Kjelgaard's book Ă¢â‚¬Å“Big RedĂ¢â‚¬. An excellent read for dog enthusiasts. The dog doesn't die in the end!

Daniel Boone: Chase the Buffalo

Daniel Boone: Promised Land

Daniel Boone: Warriors Path

Daniel Boone: Wilderness Rd.

Darby O-Gill and the Lil' People
*NOTE: Based on Herminie Templeton Kavanagh's Darby O'Gill series.

Davy Crockett & River Pirate
Part 1 // Part 2 // Part 3 //

Donald Duck in Math-magic Land
*NOTE: This is actually a short educational film from the 1950's. It was also featured on Disney's Wide World of Color in the 1960s. A bit of a cult classic to most Classic Disney enthusiasts. Discusses a wide variety of math related topics (geometry, pi, square roots, logic, music, patterns...it's all here.) This has been released on DVD here in the US, but both releases are rare finds. The VHS release is also hard to find.

El Legend de Lobo
*NOTE: This is a Disney nature documentary from the 1950s.

Fun & Fancy Freeeee

Johnny Tre-maine

Jonny Shiloh
*NOTE: This was part of a made-for-television Disney series. It has been released to DVD, but it is a rare and expensive find. Outside of Netflix and the library, you are unlikely to find a copy of this film. It is based on the life story of child Union soldier John Clem. Would make a great inclusion in a Civil War unit.

*NOTE: Based on the novel Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Light in the ForestĂ¢â‚¬ by Conrad Richter.

Moochie of the Little League
*NOTE: This is one the not-so-popular Mickey Mouse Club films of the early 60s. Features a boy that is a mix of Beaver Cleaver and Dennis the Menace. My 5yo liked this movie, but the rest of us didn't care much for it. It does have boy appeal, I suppose.

Ol' Yeller

Rob Roy High-land Rogue

Saludos Amigo

So Dear 2 My Heart
*NOTE: Based on the book Midnight and Jeremiah by Sterling North.

Swyss Family Robin-son

Teh Reluc-tant Dragon
*NOTE: This is based on the book by Kenneth Grahame, the same author who wrote "The Wind in the Willows".

The Story of the Silly Symphony
*NOTE: This is a documentary about the early history of Disney films. Narrated by good ol' Walt himself. Lots of classic Disney shorts (aka Silly Symphonies). A real treat for vintage animation enthusiasts and those looking to introduce their children to classic animation. ;)

The Three Caballeroz

Toby-Tylerr
*NOTE: Based on the book Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus by James Otis Kaler.

Treasure Islandd

Classic Films (Non-Disney)

*NOTE: This film is letterboxed and has Greek subtitles. Originally released in 1938, I'm pretty sure this is remastered version of the original film.

Angel and the Badman
*NOTE: Starring John Wayne! This is one of the best westerns ever made, imho. My dad LOVES this movie and as a result, I am very familiar with it. It is in black and white, but the story is timeless and wonderful. Unlike most westerns, this movie focuses more on faith and morals than violence. A great family film that is in the public domain, shockingly enough.

Hans Brinker: The Silver Skates Playlist
*NOTE: This playlist has the first video repeating. You will have to manually skip the first or second video. This is a rare find. A 1969 made-for-television movie that originally aired on NBC, I believe. Not great quality, but it is a nice film version of a classic book. A bit boring to my kids, but to those who are into historical pieces or have read the book, this may be a hit.

*NOTE: This is the live action performance filmed in 1942 NOT the animated Disney version from the 1960s! The quality is not great, but I have realistic expectations of things that are in the public domain and captioned by volunteers.

Lightning: The White Stallion Playlist

Liltle Lord Fauntleroy

*NOTE: This is a British film. Mediocre quality. The sound is a bit off, but it is still watchable provided that you don't turn it up too loud. Not recommended for viewing on larger screens. I am currently searching for the far superior Ă¢â‚¬Å“CedieĂ¢â‚¬ released in Japan in the 80s. When and if I locate a source of it in English, it will be replacing this on this list.

*NOTE: This is the black and white 1940 version NOT the modern adaptation from the 1990s!

*NOTE: This is a movie based on the series. Made in 1939. Might appeal to older kids or those who are into the series.

The New Adventures of Tarzan
*NOTE: Made in 1935 and re-released in theaters during the 1960s, this is a favorite of my dad's. This is a classic film that features Olympic swimmer Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan. It is in black and white. I recommend pre-screening. The 1930s had different standards than we do today and there may be things here that you are uncomfortable with your children seeing.

*NOTE: This is a live action musical performance filmed in 1957 that aired on PBS several times during the 1970s-1990s.

Doctor Who Audio Dramas
*Note: Not recommended for young children. Logic stage and up.

Electric Company Clips (Original Version)
*Note: To those who have never heard of The Electric Company, it was Sesame Street's slightly erratic and quirky older brother in the 1970s. It was geared towards school-age children (6-10, probably) and used real actors for the majority of its content. Morgan Freeman (yes, THAT Morgan Freeman, the one who hosts the fantastic Ă¢â‚¬Å“Through the WormholeĂ¢â‚¬ series on the Science Channel) got his start here. It does date itself from time to time, but I find it hilarious and so do my nerdlings.

(All Morgan Freeman, all the time... :p)

Robin Hood's Woods

Playlists

Electric Company Episodes (New Version only)

Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible

Playlist includes:
-Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors
-Joshua
-Samson and Delilah
-David
-Daniel and the Lions Den
-Nativity
-Miracles of Jesus
-Resurrection of Jesus
-Apostles

Hoopla Kidz
*Note: These are videos for young ones. Nursery rhymes, phonics and other such things. They have many others available.

Hoopla Kidz Lab
*Note: These are science experiments for kids. Grammar, maybe Logic stage. Or possibly family experiments.
HoolaKidzLab Channel

Houston Zoo
*Note: Lots of animal related videos shot by zoo staff. Everything from animals playing to animals giving birth and everything in between.
Houston Zoo Channel Page

Koala Brothers
*Note: This is a cute Aussie claymation show about two helpful koala brothers. It aired on the Disney Jr. channel until recently.

The Helping Song

Lamb Chop's Play-Along

Action Stories

Liberty's Kids
(multiple episodes listed on one page)

Math Songs
*NOTE: Just in case Schoolhouse Rock didn't meet your math song needs...These are for all ages, but older kids will probably get more mileage out of these than littles. THERE ARE NO SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK OR ELECTRIC COMPANY VIDEOS HERE. Check the Ă¢â‚¬Å“Electric CompanyĂ¢â‚¬ and Ă¢â‚¬Å“Schoolhouse RockĂ¢â‚¬ sections for those.

*NOTE: The quality of this video is terrible, but the audio is ok.

Music

For Parents

WikiHow: Reading Music
*NOTE: This is a non-YouTube link. May be helpful for those who prefer to read these sorts of things instead of watching or listening.

*NOTE: Great talk given by musician Victor Wooten that presents a different view of how to learn, teach and love music.

For Students

Mr. Greg's Musical Madness
*NOTE: These are clips from a public access television program that aired in Atlanta, GA.

Music K8
*NOTE: These are animated clips that teach children the basic concepts of reading and playing music. I used them to supplement/reinforce what my kids were learning at childrens' choir and piano lessons. Neither Music K8's videos nor Mr. Greg's videos can replace a solid music curriculum and/or formal music lessons of some sort.

*NOTE: This is a mnemonic used to teach the lines of the treble clef.

*NOTE: This is a mnemonic used to teach/remember the names of the spaces in between the clef. Something like that anyway...

Expert Village

*NOTE: These will require some help and/or guidance from an adult for younger kids. Older kids may be able to do these on their own. These are strictly for fun, for arts and crafts classes, co-op activities or playdate idea for older kids.

Awesome videos that demonstrate the power and joy of classical music in modern times. :D

*NOTE: This is an impromptu live orchestral performance in the streets of Vienna, I believe. Very fun and features lots of footage of people dancing and kids laughing as they play.

*NOTE: This is not classical music, but it is awesome. 

*NOTE: This video features children singing modern pop lyrics over classical music. Screen for content.

Classical Pieces that Appear in the Ă¢â‚¬Å“How to Get Kids into Classical MusicĂ¢â‚¬ Video
*NOTE: Pieces are in the order in which they appear in the video above.

*NOTE: Screen for content. Video features a live stage performance of a can-can dancing routine. Fitting for the tune.

Beethoven's Fur Elise Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 Versions

*NOTE: If you don't know what beat boxing is, it is someone playing their voice like an instrument basically. Based on hip hop noises and vocals, it is probably not for everyone. My kiddos LOVE this one though.

*NOTE: DS1 LOVES this. About 1,000 of the plays are probably his.

*NOTE: Video features a ballet performance. Beautiful.

Amazing Kid Musicians
*NOTE: I am posting this section because my kids like to watch videos of other kids playing music, especially DS1. These videos are meant to encourage kids, not to make adults feel like doofuses because we can't even dream of having such talents.

Pianists

*NOTE: Emily Bear is now 13(?).
to an interview she gave on a Chicago television station at 11.
. Cool, huh?

6 Year Old Tsung Tsung

Violinists

8 Year Old Alma Deutscher

4 Year Old Akim Camara
*NOTE: Akim is now 13 and plays with orchestras in Europe.
of a performance from 2011.

Drummers

Guitarists

Acoustic Guitarist Sungha Jung
*NOTE: Link will take you to his channel page.

Ozzy Osbourne Covered by 10 Year Old Yuto Miyazawa
*NOTE: Does not speak English but the guitar is spot on.

*NOTE: Dragonforce is crazy, crazy hard. DS1 loves this video and wants to learn
. For now, he must practice and we must listen to the eternal sounds of feedback and squawk as he hammers out a few standards over and over again.

Old Time Radio Theater, Archival Audiobooks and Bonus Radio Show Links
*Note: These are adaptations of novels and plays for radio. These vary in quality. Great background sounds for quiet time or table time for all ages. Please be sure to pre-screen the content listed here to make sure it is acceptable for your child/family.

*Note: Aired in 1974. Would go on to become a cult classic in the United States.

A Cricket in Times Square
*Note: Recorded in 1975. Not great quality, but good enough for headphones maybe.

*Note: This was made for YouTube by a fan. Very good quality. Abridged.

Justin Morgan Had a Horse
*Note: Recorded in 1976. Based on the novel. Archival copy.

Pete's Dragon
*Note: Recorded in 1977. Disney Storybook Record.

*Note: Perhaps not for very young children. Others are available, but this one (as far as I know) is still public domain in the UK, whereas others may be copyrighted.

*Note: Logic stage on up only. This is only recommended for jr. sci fi geeks.

The Hobbit
*Note: This is the version that aired on the BBC. This is only part of the adaptation. You can buy the complete adaptation on Amazon. (PS -- You should TOTALLY buy this from Amazon or check this version out of the library if it is available to you. It is awesome.)

The Hobbit
*Note: Entire drama!...This is the version that aired in the US. This is essentially the same as above, but not as good quality. Archival copy.

The Little Mermaid
*Note: Recorded in 1967, decent quality. This is read from the original tale and is not a Disney adaptation. Archival copy.

The Rescuers
*Note: Based on the book, Disney adaptation. Recorded in 1977. Archival copy.

*Note: This was for DH, but Mommy and DS1 liked it as well. Probably not for kids, though.

*Note: Original broadcast from 1938. Definitely not for young children!

Bonus Radio Show Links
*Note: These are links to explicitly Christian material. I posted these at DH's nostalgia-induced urging because they are hard to find and purchasing the catalogs of AIO and other radio shows can be expensive for those on tight budgets. AIO is also a DVD series, but I did not post any links to videos that may be found on YouTube due to copyright issues. All of these links are to non-YouTube sites.

HISKIDS
*Note: Kid-friendly Christian radio programs on demand, including The Pond, Down Gilead Lane and Ranger Bill.

FAIO Database of Adventures in Odyssey Shows
*Note: Includes audio and video links. Listen and watch in your browser. DO NOT download content from this site. Read disclaimers and legal notices on the page.

Adventures in Odyssey Shows Available for MP3 Download
*Note: These were made available by Focus on the Family. They hold the rights to these programs in the US. I have not downloaded any content from this site personally.

Our Gang (AKA The Little Rascals)

*NOTE: This a collection of shorts that originally aired in theaters during the 30s and early 40s. Some are in black and white. Others are in Technicolor (also referred to as Ă¢â‚¬Å“tack-nicolorĂ¢â‚¬ due to the tacky surreal effect it has.) Fun slices of life centered around adventurous boys and sometimes (rarely) girls. These kids are definitely free-range and the stories are of their times. That is, they don't shy away from the realities of their day (the economic realities of the depression, life before the social system/foster care, the prominence of the Christian faith in their lives, traditional gender roles, mild racism and other such things). View with caution, but do enjoy. :)

Fishy Tales

Glove Taps

Dogs Is Dogs

The Pooch

Bedtime Worries

Little Daddy

Pigskin Palooka

Rushin' Ballet

Spooky Hooky

Mail and Female

Hearts Are Thump

Hide and Shriek

Roamin' Holiday

Night N Gales

Reunion in Rhythm

Came the Brawn

Free Wheeling

Bored of Education

Framing Youth

Divot Diggers

School's Out

Peter Rabbit and Friends

Read-Aloud and Read-Along Resources for Kids

British Council - Learn English Kids

Green Eggs and Ham

Disney Read-Alongs
*Note: Fan-made. Full-screen these to make them readable by young eyes and old homeschool mommy eyes. :p

Redwall Animated Series
*Note: Based on the books, aired on PBS in the late 1990s. Episodes are in multiple parts. Includes Watership Down and Martin the Warrior.

#1 Redwall Channel Page

• Like 7

S-Z

Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat

*Note: This show aired on PBS during the 90s-early 00s. It is very cute and cat-centric. ;)

Schoolhouse Rock

*Note: There are many others available on YouTube, such as "Just a Bill", "Tea Party" and "Earth".

Math

Multiplication Rock

Counting by Fives

Grammar

(This is not a Schoolhouse Rock video. It is from the 1970s version of the Electric Company.)

(From the 1970s version of the Electric Company. One of my favorites. :D)

(This is not a Schoolhouse Rock video. It is from the 1970s version of the Electric Company.)

(This is not a Schoolhouse Rock video. It does fit with the grammar theme and is very cool. :p)

(This is from The Electric Company.)

(This is not a Schoolhouse Rock video.)

Science-themed Channels

*Note: These are mixed bag of links. Some are not kid-friendly, others are. As always, use discretion and pre-screen things before allowing your children to view them. In some cases, I have included links to sample videos from each channel. I believe that these channels/authors regularly produce content that is educational, informative and entertaining. YMMV. :)

AsapScience

*Note: These are whiteboard animation/lectures based around big life questions. More for parental entertainment than anything else. I've included a few samples from this channel below to give you an idea of what they cover. Some content is decidedly un-kid-friendly. View with caution.

• (very interesting approach to how we think and learn based on context)

Bite Sci-zed

*Note: Recommended for logic stage on up. Answers general questions and daily life type things.

Minute Physics

*Note: More whiteboard animation/lectures. Probably best for logic stage on up, but younger kids might like them as well. NOT Creationist-friendly!

Sick Science

*Note: Something for everyone!

• (great for auditory children)

*Note: This is a playlist. Full lessons made available by TED ED. Links below. Fast-paced. NOT Creationist-friendly. Recommended for logic stage and up. Great for comic fans. ;)

WhizKid8881's Science Experiments Channel

*Note: Narrated by a kid, geared for a younger audience.

Scripture Memory Songs

General Scripture Memory Songs

*Note: I don't know who originally does these and I think that most of these were probably made for use in children's ministry programs. Still useful though.

The Rizers

*Note: This is not a show. The Rizers are a Christian group that make great videos to help kids (and adults!) memorize scripture. Please consider supporting them by purchasing their music from Amazon or iTunes. ;)

Seeds Family Worship

*Note: There are other Seeds Family Worship songs available on YouTube, but I chose to only list the typography videos and not live performances or illegal album rips. Support the band, buy their stuff from Amazon or iTunes if you like it. :)

Sesame Street Songs

Sesame Street Official Channel

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales

*NOTE: This series aired on the BBC in the UK and HBO in the US during the 1990s, as well on Discovery Kids in Latin America during the 1990's and early 2000's. It was and still is a very sophisticated and artistic take on the works of Shakespeare. You can purchase it on DVD through Amazon, but it is quite pricey! If you want to watch on DVD, I would recommend checking with your local library and/or doing a WorldCAT search for it.

All that being said, I would recommend viewing this with your children and setting a cut-off age depending on your child's maturity level. There are some heavy topics and racy scenes in the adaptations listed here. I personally have only seen Ă¢â‚¬Å“Romeo and JulietĂ¢â‚¬ (NOT recommended for children under 10-12!) , Ă¢â‚¬Å“Taming of the ShrewĂ¢â‚¬ and Ă¢â‚¬Å“As You Like ItĂ¢â‚¬ from this series. I do plan on watching the rest when I get time...whenever that is. :P

A Midsummer Night's Dream

As You Like It

Hamlet

Julius Caesar

King Richard III

MacBeth

Othello

Romeo and Juliet

The Taming of the Shrew

The Tempest

The Winter's Tale

Twelfth Night

Sherlock Hound

*NOTE: Sherlock Holmes meets steampunk meets anime...and it's for kids?!?! Definitely more Japanese than not. It features unique storylines that are drawn from but not directly related to the Sherlock Holmes series. Holmes and Watson = Corgi and Terrier. Too cutely awesome to miss! Great quality.

Sing-Alongs

*Note: There are lots of these on Youtube. Some are official or ripped from old VHS tapes. Others are fan-made. Some of the fan-made ones use funky fonts that are hard to read.

[barney]

[barney]

[barney]

[barney]

[barney]

[barney]

[barney]

[Disney]

[Disney]

*Note: My kids love this one. Starts slow and is very catchy!

[Disney]

[Disney]

*Note: Not for little ones.

[Disney] Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

*Note: Recommended for very fast readers! Includes a bonus vocab lesson at the beginning. :D

[Disney]

[Disney]

[Disney]

Songs for Preschoolers

*NOTE: I didn't know where else to put these...This is a list of songs that my littles like that didn't really fit on any of the other lists.

Gummy Bear Song

Slippery Fish Song

Wishbone

*Note: There are several episodes of the show on YouTube, but many are split into multiple parts.

Yo Gabba Gabba (no full episodes)

*Note: For those who don't know what Yo Gabba Gabba is, it is a show for toddlers and preschoolers that teaches life skills and pre-k stuff. It's a hipster version of Sesame Street, with lots of rock, r&b and indie artists as guest stars. It airs on Nick Jr and the videos I linked to here are posted on the official YGG YouTube Channel.

Zoobilee Zoo

*Note: Just in case you don't remember/know this hidden gem of sorts...check out the theme song first. ZZ was a live action educational series that aired on PBS in the 1980s and 90s. These are ALL fan uploads from VHS tapes, as there were never (to my knowledge) any official releases of the show on DVD or digital media.

Full Episodes

Backwardville

Zoom!

Season 2 Channel Page

*Note: Page lists all of the episodes from season 2. Several are split into parts. These are uploads from VHS tapes and vary in quality. The content (for the most part) is still pretty darn good for a kids' show, imho. This season aired around 2000 on PBS and re-ran on the PBS Kids cable channel until recently.

ZoomDo and ZoomSci

*Note: Science experiments and art projects from the show Zoom! Done by preteens and presented in a straightforward manner. These are informal presentations, not step-by-steps. These are intended for older kids to do on their own for fun.

• Like 8

Both lists have been updated. Lots of goodies....whoo hoo! :laugh:

Also, I found out that the WTM boards have a limit for emoticons per post. Interesting.

And to think, I still have more to go! This crazy project of mine...

Anyway, if you want to know what all I updated today, please check at the bottom of post #1 where it says "!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!". Click "show" and you should see a complete list of updates that I made this morning.

Happy Monday to all! :)

• Like 1

cool list!

How about old disney educational videos?

Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land

If you search (on Youtube) old disney educational films someone has a bunch of videos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live-action_shorts

There's stuff on manners, geography, government, etc. lots of fun stuff!

Shakespeare Animated Tales

It looks like there's multiple videos for Salzburg Marionette Theater

The Way Thing Work

Old Edison film footage

Are you going to do a list for older kids??  :D

Oops! Should of PMed you.

cool list!

How about old disney educational videos?

Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land

If you search (on Youtube) old disney educational films someone has a bunch of videos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live-action_shorts

There's stuff on manners, geography, government, etc. lots of fun stuff!

Shakespeare Animated Tales

It looks like there's multiple videos for Salzburg Marionette Theater

The Way Thing Work

Old Edison film footage

Are you going to do a list for older kids??  :D

Oops! Should of PMed you.

I am currently going through more links.

Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land is on the next round of updates (happening later this week, still finalizing and formatting), along with Shakespeare's Animated Tales. I have seen some of the educational videos released by Disney. They vary quite a bit in quality, with some being decent copies from VHS or well-cared for film reels and others being not-so-great, being culled from archives where they weren't shown much love. Also, some (but not all) of them are a bit outdated. A lot has changed in some areas, such as geography and history, in the past 50 or so years.

The Way Things Work is being saved for my future list for older kids. Some of the content here may moved to that list as well, but I haven't started a formal link-sorting process for the logic/rhetoric list yet. That might be in in the distant future.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finally gotten around to adding more updates.

I've been so busy lately. And my laptop is on the fritz, needs a new battery.

Thank you all for your encouragement. :)

Can this list be pinned? I don't want to lose it. Would love to have it up there on the top.

I don't know if there is a formal process to make this happen or not. I'm probably not going to be around enough to make this happen myself, but I encourage all of you who find this list useful to suggest it to the moderators. Maybe it will get a permanent spot someday.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I just wanted to say thank you for this post!!

A-R

Adventures in the Book of Virtues
*Note: There are more episodes available. I kept this list short.

Compassion
Courage
Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan
Honest Abe
Honesty
Perserverance
Respect
Responsibility
Self-Discipline
The Dancing Horses

Animated Tales of the World and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics

*NOTE: This is a collection of tales that aired on cable in the 1970s-1990s in the US, Canada and Japan. Most are VHS uploads of varying quality. Some of these are uploads from the fantastic series Ă¢â‚¬Å“Grimm's Fairy Tale ClassicsĂ¢â‚¬. GFTC aired in Japan and the US during the 80s. These were dubbed in English for the US audience, but the cartoons maintained their distinct Japanese style and flavor. These cartoons stay pretty true to Grimm's stories. For that reason, I recommend viewing these with older children (7+ in my home) and being prepared to answer questions should they arise. I may add more to this list as I dig deeper into my link archives.

Arabian Nights
Part 1 // Part 2

Beauty and the Beast

Old Sultan
*NOTE: This episode is based on the tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“Old SultanĂ¢â‚¬. One of my favorite Grimm's, and the only video from this list that I would watch with my littles. Ignore the added text on the opening screen that says something to the effect of Ă¢â‚¬Å“Nickelodeon SucksĂ¢â‚¬.

Persephone: A Story From Greece

Rikki Tikki Tavi

Snow White and Rose Red
Part 1 // Part 2
*NOTE: The mother is strangely calm about her daughter thrashing a bear with a switch...and that bear can talk. All in all, a strange yet fun adaptation. My kids love this one.

The Four Skillful Brothers
*NOTE: This is pretty faithful to Grimm's version. It is also related to the Chinese tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Five Chinese BrothersĂ¢â‚¬.

The Magic Heart
*NOTE: This story is loosely (very loosely) based on the tale Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Donkey and The CabbagesĂ¢â‚¬.

The Naughty Spirit
*NOTE: This episode is based on Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Dragon and his GrandmotherĂ¢â‚¬ (Also referred to as Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Devil and his GrandmotherĂ¢â‚¬.). It features depictions of demons, Beezelbub, and tame depictions of what I assume to be Hell.

The Story of the Summer Garden and Winter Garden
Part 1 // Part 2
*NOTE: This is a nice take on Beauty and the Beast. Has some decidedly Japanese flair and is an excellent example of early anime-style cartoons.

Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story From China
*NOTE: This story features magical talking fish bones and has very eastern point of view. DD really likes this one, but it is not for everyone.

Animated Tales - Mythic Warriors

*NOTE: This is an animated series that ran on Saturday mornings on CBS during the late 90s in Canada and the US. It consists of re-tellings of Greek myths geared for children.

Androcles and the Lion

Andromeda the Warrior Princess

Atlanta the Wild Girl

Bellerophan and Pegasus

Hercules and Iolas

Icarus and Daedalus

Jason and the Argonauts

King Midas: The Golden Touch

Odysseus and Circe

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse

Persephone and the Winter Seeds

Perseus and the Search for Medusa

Prometheus and Pandora's Box

Pschye and Eros

The Labours of Hercules

Theseus and the Minotaur

Ulysses and the Journey Home

Audiobooks
*Note: Most of these are NOT in the public domain. Some of these are not actual audiobooks. They are fan-made and may feature original artwork, or the abridged versions of the stories. Watch before letting your kids loose with these. I have tried to select the ones that I thought were the highest quality or that my kids watched the most. It's a subjective list. ;)

Playlist of Audio Picture Books
Includes:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?
Caps For Sale
Corduroy
Guess How Much I Love You
Bear Snores On
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
And Many More...

Others:
I Want My Hat Back
Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site
Goodnight, iPad (A parody of Goodnight, Moon. Funny. Does not feature text.)
Giraffes Can't Dance
Llama Llama Red Pajama
Llama Llama Mad at Mama
Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go

Audio Chapter Books

Ender's Game (Not recommended for young children. Unabridged. No chapter breaks.)
Grimm's Fairytales (11 HOURS of content, with chapter breaks listed in the "About" section.)
My Father's Dragon (This is a Librivox recording read by a young boy. No chapter breaks.)
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Ballet
*NOTE: Should probably be an aside to the music section, but I decided that ballet is worthy enough to stand on its own. My DD loves ballet and her brothers will often watch it as well. Our first ballet film was the excellent documentary called Ă¢â‚¬Å“First PositionĂ¢â‚¬ that we viewed on Netflix for family movie time. Ballet is a great way to show children that there is context for classical music outside of the music itself. It is a great alternative to endless streams of educational videos, animated entertainment and documentary films that make up the majority of what many homeschooling families watch. Ballet performances are also great for naptime/quiet time viewing. ;)

Ballet is not for everyone. It does feature scantily clad persons, members of the opposite sex touching, lifting and embracing one another, and content that some may deem inappropriate for children. (Scenes of death, violence, and other such things are artistically portrayed in ballet performances.) I strongly recommend pre-screening all ballets you plan on sharing with your children prior to their viewing it. Ballet can also be good family entertainment as well, provided that you comfortable with questions and impromptu performance antics. Also, keep your expectations realistic. Most young children will not sit through a ballet in its entirety. Some older children will want to re-watch certain parts over and over again. Other times, you will have to skip certain portions for content or time.

Please enjoy the following links.

A Little Princess: London Children's Ballet
*NOTE: This performance was uploaded from DVD and is in HD. The LCB is composed entirely of children and this ballet features an all-child cast. Very nice.

Adam's Giselle: American Ballet Theatre
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1969. Quality is ok. This is slow starter, imo. Best saved for quiet time.

Alice In Wonderland: The Royal Ballet
The Flowers and Alice
The Mad Hatter
*NOTE: These are clips. You can purchase or rent the whole performance from Amazon. You may also try looking for it on DVD at your local library and/or doing a WorldCAT search. It is a very stunning and kid-friendly ballet based on a classic work of literature.

Chopin's Les Sylphides: American Ballet Theatre
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1984. Quality is ok. There is no real story to this one, as it was written mostly to showcase Chopin's music. It is only about 30 minutes long and makes great background music for silent reading, art and penmanship practice.

Copeland's Rodeo: American Ballet Theatre
*NOTE: This is a short piece filmed for television in 1973. Funny, cute and a gentle introduction to ballet for little ones.

Fitinhof-Schell's Cinderella: The National Ballet, Paris
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1987. The quality is good for a VHS upload. This ballet is a slow-starter, imho. Probably best saved for older children and naptime viewing.

Minkus' Don Quixote: Mariinsky Ballet Theatre
*NOTE: This is very good quality for a ballet on YouTube. Definitely worth the investment of time. Also a gentle introduction of a classic work of literature. This is probably the best full ballet to start with if you plan on watching with kids. It is well-written and the dancers do a great job of conveying the messages of the original work. ;)

Minkus' La BayadĂƒÂ¨re (The Temple Dancer): The National Ballet, Paris
*NOTE: This is very good quality for a ballet on YouTube. A plot outline is available here for those who do not know the story (I didn't, had to look it up!)

Krachaturian's Gayane: The Bolshoi Ballet
*NOTE: This was recorded in 1980. Uploaded from VHS. Mediocre quality. Here is a plot outline. However, Krachaturian's music is not to be missed here. Do you recognize this piece of music? I've heard it many times in cartoons and like, but I never knew that it came from this ballet until a few months ago. We love this one, despite the poor quality of the video. It's my favorite, shhh don't tell the other videos, they'll be sad! 

Khachaturian's Spartacus: The Bolshoi Ballet
*NOTE: This ballet features a male lead and lots of tight fitting costumes and skin-showing. Still, it appeals to my boys and is a powerful story worthy of viewing.

Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf
*NOTE: Quality is mediocre, probably a VHS upload. Not recommended for larger screens, imo. A piece that would make a good introduction to ballet for young children.

Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake: The Kirov Ballet
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1990. The quality is ok, but definitely not HD. Includes the happy ending, not the tragic one.

Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker: Mariinsky Theatre Ballet Company
*NOTE: Video is of good quality. Not great. Features scenes with child dancers, IIRC.

Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream set to Mendelssohn's Music: La Scala Ballet Company
*NOTE: The quality of this video is very good. Not quite HD, but better than most ballet performance videos on YouTube.

Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet set to music by Prokofiev: The National Ballet, Paris
*NOTE: Quality is ok at best. Not recommended for larger screens.

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring: Joffrey Ballet Company
*NOTE: This was filmed in 1989. It is most likely a VHS upload, judging by quality. Ok, but probably not something you'd want to stream to a large HD screen, imo.

BBC Earth
*Note: Mostly clips. Lots of David Attenborough .

BBC Earth Channel Page

Between the Lions Music Videos (no full episodes on this list)

3 Little Pigs Meet Wolfinator
b and d Confusion (cute music video for kids who reverse and mix up these two lowercase letters)
Cliff Hanger and the Bed
Cliff Hanger and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear
Cliff Hanger and the Rain
Cliff Hanger and the Wish Upon a Star
Dance In Smarty Pants
Gawain's Word - "dance"
Gawain's Word - "scratch"
Gawain's Word - "shark"
Gawain's Word - "weep"
Gawain's Word - "wet"
If You Can Read "at"
Q Without U
Stolen Smells
Upper and Lower Case
Vowel Boot Camp
What's Cooking?: Beef in a Sheet
What's Cooking?: Hop Chop Drop Soup
What's Cooking?: Slammed and Rammed
What's Cooking?: Squished Fish on a Dish
What's Cooking?: Tackled and Paddled Hamburger
When Two Vowels Go Walking

Bob Ross (Joy of Painting)

Channel Page #1
Channel Page #2
Assorted Clips Channel Page

Christian Music For Children
*NOTE: This section DOES NOT include scripture memory songs! Those can be found under Ă¢â‚¬Å“Scripture Memory SongsĂ¢â‚¬ on the S-Z list. The songs found here are kid-friendly worship songs, along with some tracks from the Veggie Tales series that my kids like. :)

Arky Arky Noah Song
Books of the Bible Song -- Old Testament
Books of the Bible Song -- New Testament
Hillsong Kids - Every Move I Make
Hillsong Kids - Jesus, You're My Superhero
Hillsong Kids Jr. - The Greatest Commandment
Hillsong Kids Jr. - Free As A Bee
I'll Take That Sippy Cup (From Veggie Tales)
In The Belly of the Whale - Newsboys (From Veggie Tales movie "Jonah")
The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (From Veggie Tales)
Pizza Angel (From Veggie Tales)

Classic Disney Films
*NOTE: This is a list of works from the classic era of Disney (1940s-1960s.) Most of these movies and shows may be available to you through your public library or a WorldCAT request. Most are also sold through Amazon or can be rented via Netflix, YouTube or Amazon services in the US. Please be aware that these are copyrighted and may be pulled at any time. I am linking to these for educational purposes, as I believe that many of the early works of Disney were of superb quality and make great conversation starters and supplements to works of classic literature. Titles are intentionally misspelled as to avoid trackbacks and video flagging. Click "show" below to see the titles.

20000 Leaguez Under the Sea
*NOTE: Based on the story by Jules Verne. A great movie for boys.

Babez in Toy Land

Bigg Red
Part 1 // Part 2 // Part 3 // Part 4 // Part 5 // Part 6
*NOTE: Based on Jim Kjelgaard's book Ă¢â‚¬Å“Big RedĂ¢â‚¬. An excellent read for dog enthusiasts. The dog doesn't die in the end!

Daniel Boone: Chase the Buffalo

Daniel Boone: Promised Land

Daniel Boone: Warriors Path

Daniel Boone: Wilderness Rd.

Darby O-Gill and the Lil' People
*NOTE: Based on Herminie Templeton Kavanagh's Darby O'Gill series.

Davy Crockett & River Pirate
Part 1 // Part 2 // Part 3 // Part 4

Donald Duck in Math-magic Land
*NOTE: This is actually a short educational film from the 1950's. It was also featured on Disney's Wide World of Color in the 1960s. A bit of a cult classic to most Classic Disney enthusiasts. Discusses a wide variety of math related topics (geometry, pi, square roots, logic, music, patterns...it's all here.) This has been released on DVD here in the US, but both releases are rare finds. The VHS release is also hard to find.

El Legend de Lobo
*NOTE: This is a Disney nature documentary from the 1950s.

Fun & Fancy Freeeee

Johnny Tre-maine

Jonny Shiloh
*NOTE: This was part of a made-for-television Disney series. It has been released to DVD, but it is a rare and expensive find. Outside of Netflix and the library, you are unlikely to find a copy of this film. It is based on the life story of child Union soldier John Clem. Would make a great inclusion in a Civil War unit.

Light In Teh Forest
*NOTE: Based on the novel Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Light in the ForestĂ¢â‚¬ by Conrad Richter.

Moochie of the Little League
*NOTE: This is one the not-so-popular Mickey Mouse Club films of the early 60s. Features a boy that is a mix of Beaver Cleaver and Dennis the Menace. My 5yo liked this movie, but the rest of us didn't care much for it. It does have boy appeal, I suppose.

Ol' Yeller

Rob Roy High-land Rogue

Saludos Amigo

So Dear 2 My Heart
*NOTE: Based on the book Midnight and Jeremiah by Sterling North.

Swyss Family Robin-son

Teh Reluc-tant Dragon
*NOTE: This is based on the book by Kenneth Grahame, the same author who wrote "The Wind in the Willows".

The Story of the Silly Symphony
*NOTE: This is a documentary about the early history of Disney films. Narrated by good ol' Walt himself. Lots of classic Disney shorts (aka Silly Symphonies). A real treat for vintage animation enthusiasts and those looking to introduce their children to classic animation. ;)

The Three Caballeroz

Toby-Tylerr
*NOTE: Based on the book Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus by James Otis Kaler.

Treasure Islandd

Classic Films (Non-Disney)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
*NOTE: This film is letterboxed and has Greek subtitles. Originally released in 1938, I'm pretty sure this is remastered version of the original film.

Angel and the Badman
*NOTE: Starring John Wayne! This is one of the best westerns ever made, imho. My dad LOVES this movie and as a result, I am very familiar with it. It is in black and white, but the story is timeless and wonderful. Unlike most westerns, this movie focuses more on faith and morals than violence. A great family film that is in the public domain, shockingly enough.

Hans Brinker: The Silver Skates Playlist
*NOTE: This playlist has the first video repeating. You will have to manually skip the first or second video. This is a rare find. A 1969 made-for-television movie that originally aired on NBC, I believe. Not great quality, but it is a nice film version of a classic book. A bit boring to my kids, but to those who are into historical pieces or have read the book, this may be a hit.

The Jungle Book
*NOTE: This is the live action performance filmed in 1942 NOT the animated Disney version from the 1960s! The quality is not great, but I have realistic expectations of things that are in the public domain and captioned by volunteers.

Lassie's Great Adventure

Lassie: The Painted Hills

Lightning: The White Stallion Playlist

Liltle Lord Fauntleroy

*NOTE: This is a British film. Mediocre quality. The sound is a bit off, but it is still watchable provided that you don't turn it up too loud. Not recommended for viewing on larger screens. I am currently searching for the far superior Ă¢â‚¬Å“CedieĂ¢â‚¬ released in Japan in the 80s. When and if I locate a source of it in English, it will be replacing this on this list.

Little Men
*NOTE: This is the black and white 1940 version NOT the modern adaptation from the 1990s!

Misty of Chincoteague Playlist

Nancy Drew: Reporter
*NOTE: This is a movie based on the series. Made in 1939. Might appeal to older kids or those who are into the series.

The New Adventures of Tarzan
*NOTE: Made in 1935 and re-released in theaters during the 1960s, this is a favorite of my dad's. This is a classic film that features Olympic swimmer Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan. It is in black and white. I recommend pre-screening. The 1930s had different standards than we do today and there may be things here that you are uncomfortable with your children seeing.

The Pied Piper of Hamelin
*NOTE: This is a live action musical performance filmed in 1957 that aired on PBS several times during the 1970s-1990s.

Doctor Who Audio Dramas
*Note: Not recommended for young children. Logic stage and up.

Dark Eyes
Masters of Odin
Empire of the Sun
The Four Doctors
The Wooden Planet

Electric Company Clips (Original Version)
*Note: To those who have never heard of The Electric Company, it was Sesame Street's slightly erratic and quirky older brother in the 1970s. It was geared towards school-age children (6-10, probably) and used real actors for the majority of its content. Morgan Freeman (yes, THAT Morgan Freeman, the one who hosts the fantastic Ă¢â‚¬Å“Through the WormholeĂ¢â‚¬ series on the Science Channel) got his start here. It does date itself from time to time, but I find it hilarious and so do my nerdlings.

(All Morgan Freeman, all the time... :p)

Creepy Creature
Dracula's Drink
Easy Reader Song
Morgan Freeman As Dracula (Take a Bath in a Casket)
Morgan Freeman, Disco DJ (Same As Your Name)
Robin Hood's Woods
Shoo Shoo Sunshine
Soft C, Hard C
Tea With Scream
Thanks to TH
Vincent the Vegetable Vampire
Whistle When You're Scared

Playlists
Spidey Meets Series (features vintage Spider-man!)
Long List of Vintage Electric Company Clips

Electric Company Episodes (New Version only)

Off Target
Spooky Summer
The Wordball Games
Tip It or Dip It
Wiki Wiki Water

Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible

GHLTB Playlist
Playlist includes:
-Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors
-Joshua
-Samson and Delilah
-David
-Daniel and the Lions Den
-Nativity
-Miracles of Jesus
-Resurrection of Jesus
-Apostles

Hoopla Kidz
*Note: These are videos for young ones. Nursery rhymes, phonics and other such things. They have many others available.

10 Little Indians
Five Little Monkeys
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Learn About Wild Animals
Phonics Song
Phonics Song #2
Rainbow Colors Song
Ten in the Bed Rhyme

Hoopla Kidz Lab
*Note: These are science experiments for kids. Grammar, maybe Logic stage. Or possibly family experiments.
HoolaKidzLab Channel

Houston Zoo
*Note: Lots of animal related videos shot by zoo staff. Everything from animals playing to animals giving birth and everything in between.
Houston Zoo Channel Page

Koala Brothers
*Note: This is a cute Aussie claymation show about two helpful koala brothers. It aired on the Disney Jr. channel until recently.

Ned Catches a Cold
Penny Comes to Stay
The Helping Song
Sammy and the Bee

Lamb Chop's Play-Along

Action Songs
Action Stories
Betchas, Tricks and Stunts
Do As I Do
Jokes, Riddles, Knocks Knocks, and Funny Poems
Jump Into the Story
Let's Make Music
Let's Play Games
On Our Way to School

Liberty's Kids
Season 1 Playlist (multiple episodes listed on one page)

Math Songs
*NOTE: Just in case Schoolhouse Rock didn't meet your math song needs...These are for all ages, but older kids will probably get more mileage out of these than littles. THERE ARE NO SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK OR ELECTRIC COMPANY VIDEOS HERE. Check the Ă¢â‚¬Å“Electric CompanyĂ¢â‚¬ and Ă¢â‚¬Å“Schoolhouse RockĂ¢â‚¬ sections for those.

Addition and Subtraction Rap
Coin Value Song: Pennies, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters!
Counting By Eights Song
Counting By Fours Song
Counting By Nines Song
Counting By Sevens Song
Counting By Sixes Song
Counting By Threes Song
Counting By Twelves Song
Counting By Twos Song
Place Value Rap
Steps To Long Division Song
The Measurement Song (Metric and Standard)
Decimals Rap (Addition and Subtraction)
*NOTE: The quality of this video is terrible, but the audio is ok.

Music

For Parents

TED-ED: How to Read Music

WikiHow: Reading Music
*NOTE: This is a non-YouTube link. May be helpful for those who prefer to read these sorts of things instead of watching or listening.

TEDxTalks: Music as a Language
*NOTE: Great talk given by musician Victor Wooten that presents a different view of how to learn, teach and love music.

For Students

Mr. Greg's Musical Madness
*NOTE: These are clips from a public access television program that aired in Atlanta, GA.

Lesson 1: Tempo
Lesson 2: Dynamics
Lesson 3: Quarter Note
Lesson 4: Half Note

Music K8
*NOTE: These are animated clips that teach children the basic concepts of reading and playing music. I used them to supplement/reinforce what my kids were learning at childrens' choir and piano lessons. Neither Music K8's videos nor Mr. Greg's videos can replace a solid music curriculum and/or formal music lessons of some sort.

Every Good Boy Does Fine
*NOTE: This is a mnemonic used to teach the lines of the treble clef.

FACE
*NOTE: This is a mnemonic used to teach/remember the names of the spaces in between the clef. Something like that anyway...

Give It A Rest

Major Minor

Whacky Do Re Mi

Expert Village
Making Your Own Musical Instruments From Household Items Playlist
*NOTE: These will require some help and/or guidance from an adult for younger kids. Older kids may be able to do these on their own. These are strictly for fun, for arts and crafts classes, co-op activities or playdate idea for older kids.

Awesome videos that demonstrate the power and joy of classical music in modern times. :D

Flash Mob Beethoven's Ode to Joy
*NOTE: This is an impromptu live orchestral performance in the streets of Vienna, I believe. Very fun and features lots of footage of people dancing and kids laughing as they play.

Victor Wooten Plays Amazing Grace on Bass
*NOTE: This is not classical music, but it is awesome. 

How to Get Kids into Classical Music
*NOTE: This video features children singing modern pop lyrics over classical music. Screen for content.

Classical Pieces that Appear in the Ă¢â‚¬Å“How to Get Kids into Classical MusicĂ¢â‚¬ Video
*NOTE: Pieces are in the order in which they appear in the video above.

Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Offenbach's Can Can
*NOTE: Screen for content. Video features a live stage performance of a can-can dancing routine. Fitting for the tune.

Beethoven's Fur Elise Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3 Versions

Piano Version

Beat Box Version
*NOTE: If you don't know what beat boxing is, it is someone playing their voice like an instrument basically. Based on hip hop noises and vocals, it is probably not for everyone. My kiddos LOVE this one though.

Guitar Version
*NOTE: DS1 LOVES this. About 1,000 of the plays are probably his.

Grieg's Peer Gynt Overture

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony

Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
*NOTE: Video features a ballet performance. Beautiful.

Haydn's Surprise Symphony

John Williams' Jurassic Park Theme

Amazing Kid Musicians
*NOTE: I am posting this section because my kids like to watch videos of other kids playing music, especially DS1. These videos are meant to encourage kids, not to make adults feel like doofuses because we can't even dream of having such talents.

Pianists

6 Year Old Emily Bear
*NOTE: Emily Bear is now 13(?). Here is a link to an interview she gave on a Chicago television station at 11. Here is another link of her playing 2 pianos at once. Cool, huh?

6 Year Old Tsung Tsung

Violinists

8 Year Old Alma Deutscher

4 Year Old Akim Camara
*NOTE: Akim is now 13 and plays with orchestras in Europe. Here is a video of a performance from 2011.

Drummers

YYZ by Rush Covered By 8 Year Old Alexey Poblete

Paradise City by Guns N Roses Covered By 6 Year Old Avery Molek

Guitarists

Acoustic Guitarist Sungha Jung
*NOTE: Link will take you to his channel page.

Magic Guitar by 12 Year Old Rony Janecek

Ozzy Osbourne Covered by 10 Year Old Yuto Miyazawa
*NOTE: Does not speak English but the guitar is spot on.

Stratosphere by Stratovarius Covered by 8 Year Old Zoe Thomson

Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce Covered by 15 Year Old Cole Rolland
*NOTE: Dragonforce is crazy, crazy hard. DS1 loves this video and wants to learn this song. For now, he must practice and we must listen to the eternal sounds of feedback and squawk as he hammers out a few standards over and over again.

Old Time Radio Theater, Archival Audiobooks and Bonus Radio Show Links
*Note: These are adaptations of novels and plays for radio. These vary in quality. Great background sounds for quiet time or table time for all ages. Please be sure to pre-screen the content listed here to make sure it is acceptable for your child/family.

A Christmas Story
*Note: Aired in 1974. Would go on to become a cult classic in the United States.

A Cricket in Times Square
*Note: Recorded in 1975. Not great quality, but good enough for headphones maybe.

Horton Hears a Who
*Note: This was made for YouTube by a fan. Very good quality. Abridged.

Justin Morgan Had a Horse
*Note: Recorded in 1976. Based on the novel. Archival copy.

Pete's Dragon
*Note: Recorded in 1977. Disney Storybook Record.

Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream
*Note: Perhaps not for very young children. Others are available, but this one (as far as I know) is still public domain in the UK, whereas others may be copyrighted.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
*Note: Logic stage on up only. This is only recommended for jr. sci fi geeks.

The Hobbit
*Note: This is the version that aired on the BBC. This is only part of the adaptation. You can buy the complete adaptation on Amazon. (PS -- You should TOTALLY buy this from Amazon or check this version out of the library if it is available to you. It is awesome.)

The Hobbit
*Note: Entire drama!...This is the version that aired in the US. This is essentially the same as above, but not as good quality. Archival copy.

The Little Mermaid
*Note: Recorded in 1967, decent quality. This is read from the original tale and is not a Disney adaptation. Archival copy.

The Rescuers
*Note: Based on the book, Disney adaptation. Recorded in 1977. Archival copy.

The Maltese Falcon
*Note: This was for DH, but Mommy and DS1 liked it as well. Probably not for kids, though.

The War of the Worlds
*Note: Original broadcast from 1938. Definitely not for young children!

Bonus Radio Show Links
*Note: These are links to explicitly Christian material. I posted these at DH's nostalgia-induced urging because they are hard to find and purchasing the catalogs of AIO and other radio shows can be expensive for those on tight budgets. AIO is also a DVD series, but I did not post any links to videos that may be found on YouTube due to copyright issues. All of these links are to non-YouTube sites.

HISKIDS
*Note: Kid-friendly Christian radio programs on demand, including The Pond, Down Gilead Lane and Ranger Bill.

FAIO Database of Adventures in Odyssey Shows
*Note: Includes audio and video links. Listen and watch in your browser. DO NOT download content from this site. Read disclaimers and legal notices on the page.

Adventures in Odyssey Shows Available for MP3 Download
*Note: These were made available by Focus on the Family. They hold the rights to these programs in the US. I have not downloaded any content from this site personally.

Our Gang (AKA The Little Rascals)

*NOTE: This a collection of shorts that originally aired in theaters during the 30s and early 40s. Some are in black and white. Others are in Technicolor (also referred to as Ă¢â‚¬Å“tack-nicolorĂ¢â‚¬ due to the tacky surreal effect it has.) Fun slices of life centered around adventurous boys and sometimes (rarely) girls. These kids are definitely free-range and the stories are of their times. That is, they don't shy away from the realities of their day (the economic realities of the depression, life before the social system/foster care, the prominence of the Christian faith in their lives, traditional gender roles, mild racism and other such things). View with caution, but do enjoy. :)

Fishy Tales

Glove Taps

Dogs Is Dogs

The Pooch

Bedtime Worries

Little Daddy

Pigskin Palooka

Rushin' Ballet

Spooky Hooky

Mail and Female

Hearts Are Thump

Hide and Shriek

Roamin' Holiday

Night N Gales

Reunion in Rhythm

Came the Brawn

Free Wheeling

Bored of Education

Framing Youth

Divot Diggers

Little Sinner

School's Out

Peter Rabbit and Friends
All Episodes Playlist

Read-Aloud and Read-Along Resources for Kids

BookBoxInc Story Playlist
British Council - Learn English Kids
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Green Eggs and Ham

Disney Read-Alongs
*Note: Fan-made. Full-screen these to make them readable by young eyes and old homeschool mommy eyes. :p

Beauty and the Beast
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid

Redwall Animated Series
*Note: Based on the books, aired on PBS in the late 1990s. Episodes are in multiple parts. Includes Watership Down and Martin the Warrior.

#1 Redwall Channel Page