Menu

Ha Ha - a FB Friend Shared a Meme She Made about ....

And just for the fun of it...this is what I answered to a person who asked the dreaded, "What about socialization??" question;

Indulge me: 

The actual word most of us MEAN is social-IZING....to take part in social activities. When someone says, "What about socialization", they are meaning, "What about friends? What about Prom? What about having play dates and going to the park....??"

The meaning of socialization is completely different and infers what a lot of people think about the "mindset" of public schooling that they want to avoid:

Socialization: the process by which individuals acquire the knowledge, language, social skills, and value to conform to the norms and roles required for integration into a group or community. It is a combination of both self-imposed (because the individual wants to conform) and externally-imposed rules, and the expectations of the others.

Sociology was part of my major in college and this issue and misunderstanding of it bugs me more than many of the issues around home schooling misconceptions. LOL

And just for the fun of it...this is what I answered to a person who asked the dreaded, "What about socialization??" question;

Indulge me: 

The actual word most of us MEAN is social-IZING....to take part in social activities. When someone says, "What about socialization", they are meaning, "What about friends? What about Prom? What about having play dates and going to the park....??"

The meaning of socialization is completely different and infers what a lot of people think about the "mindset" of public schooling that they want to avoid:

Socialization: the process by which individuals acquire the knowledge, language, social skills, and value to conform to the norms and roles required for integration into a group or community. It is a combination of both self-imposed (because the individual wants to conform) and externally-imposed rules, and the expectations of the others.

Sociology was part of my major in college and this issue and misunderstanding of it bugs me more than many of the issues around home schooling misconceptions. LOL

I hope you don't mind, but I'd really like to quote this on my blog. Would you like your name to be credited or remain anonymous? I'm planning on including the meme and a link to this thread.