Menu

Can you post YOUR progression for teaching logic?

I will start by saying we are not very deep into logic yet. Here is what we have done so far:

1. For years we have worked through puzzle books. When I say 'years' I mean even at Preschool age we used them. There are tons out there. As the kids got a bit older we used Mindbenders, Logic Liftoff etc.

2. Also, since the boys were little we played games. Many games do require logical thinking and they are able to play more complex games as they get older.

3. This is the first year that we are working on Logic in a more formal way. The boys are now in 7th and 8th grade. We are currently using Critical Thinking Book 1 and Critical Thinking in Us History Book 1. It is working extremely well. Just yesterday ds13 used the 'Proof' by failure to provide a counter-example in our dinner conversation.

I started working on these books this year (and not earlier) simply based on my observations on what the boys are ready for. This year seemed the perfect year for it. It looks like I was correct.

Imho, a lot of doing well with Logic, Strategy, Critical Thinking depends on how much attention one pays to details. This is why we always played Puzzle Games and the like. For us everything else was just a natural progression.

I hope some of this makes sense.

This is what we've done:

5th & 6th: Orbiting with Logic series

7th: Art of Argument (informal logic)

8th: Discovery of Deduction (formal logic)

In 7th and 8th we used portions of Philosophy for Kids.

We've broken off and are delving into the philosophy more for high school. I'd also like him to do a traditional rhetoric course, but that will be later.

Math, physics, programming.

Plenty of logic there - we don't do a formal logic program.

:iagree:

Here's what we've done for 3rd through 8th, and what I expect to do in high school:

3rd-8th:

Chess, Mastermind, and other logic/strategy games

Math & programming

Latin & Greek

9th/10th:

logic incorporated into writing/rhetoric (using books like Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men, and Sacred Cows;

Rulebook for Arguments; Rhetoric, Logic, and Argumentation: A Guide for Student Writers; etc.)

plus continued math, Greek, Latin, programming, chess, etc.

11th/12th:

formal logic course either at home or at CC, using an intro college text

plus continued math, Greek, Latin, programming, chess, etc.

Jackie

This is what we've done:

5th & 6th: Orbiting with Logic series

Thanks. We are doing the above with chess, and also Analogy Challenges

and Building Thinking Skill by Parks and Black. We started with Book 2. The series Reading Comprehension and More Reading Comprehension has a section for each reading on ordering, and one tougher question on an inferred conclusion.

From the time they were very little lots of mathematical and language based logic games and puzzles. The favorite product was anything by Thinkfun. They also enjoy chess.

Dd 14 has continued with the MP logic series and really likes it. We will most likely continue with that for her because it seems to be a good fit for her.

Ds12 has completed MP Traditional Logic. It was painful for both of us. Not again.

All three of us just did the Fallacy Detective and loved it. We finished it on Friday. DS was shocked to discover it was fun. We plan to do the next book soon. We may wait until after xmas. After that I need to find something.