Menu

Considering PS or dual enrollment for 2nd grade

Hi, I'm new to the Afterschooling Board. I started HSing DD last summer with K. We are now half-way through 1st grade. Earlier in the year, I applied to a charter school whose philosophy sounded appealing mainly as a plan B in case there was a reason I couldn't homeschool later on. I would prefer that she had the option to go to this charter school than the PS. Well, she made the lottery and got a spot for 1st grade, following the PS calendar with a birthdate in Oct.

I started considering sending her there to give her more social opportunites for one, as she has no neighborhood friends and also because I feel more confident about the foundation I've laid down for her HSing. Other reasons are a preschooler that is ready to start reading and requiring more attention if I don't want to send him to preschool next year, and a toddler requiring more attention too.

The problem is or problems are, I should say - she got a spot into 1st grade but due to my irregular HSing year, she will theoretically be ready for 2nd grade in the fall. She's not a super achiever or anything, it's just due to our schedule. (1) How to convince them to consider her for the next grade up especially when they are a charter school and all their spots are taken so to speak. I don't know if she can wow them on a placement test well enough to convince them to put her in 2nd grade.

(2) She has attention issues. I think most are due to SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) but I believe she has mild to moderate ADHD. She hasn't been officially diagnosed. She may need to be medicated in order to keep up in a class environment. She may need special accomodations. This may make it harder to convince them to put her in 2nd grade.

(3) I may want to do dual enrollement so I can still cover some subjects at home and ensure she doesn't fall behind. Again -asking for more accomodations.

After all this, I feel like things are getting too complicated. But at the same time, I feel like I need more time for myself and other kids while she would get exposure to things I can't offer like music, dance. They also have Spanish (which I would love for her to do), gardening, and some progressive teaching approaches integrating concepts throughout different subjects, etc.

What to do? Is it worth persuing this complicated set up? Opinions? Feedback?

:grouphug: No advice yet because we'll be there this fall! Dd5 will start kindy at the local CM/uni-model charter school, but she's working in 1st grade material. I figure it will work best to demonstrate how much she knows with her performance in the first part of kindy, and then talk to them about moving her up if needed. The district gifted program doesn't begin until 3rd grade so we'd have to wait for that anyway. I know our school at least attempts to differentiate, like having multiple in-class groups based on reading levels and those who are already reading go to the library & get books to bring home, etc. Have you asked the school any of these questions?

I only recently got the letter that she had been picked for a spot. When I called, I mentioned our situation and they said they'd have an administrator call me back to discuss the possibility of testing her into the next grade. It sounded like they weren't too rigid about it as they would be at the regular PS. But I'm just concerned about trying to impose all my other conditions/issues on them.

Also, I have no clue how well she would do on a test like this. I imagine, she'd have to demonstrate a high degree of competency to be moved up, more so than what would be required, say on testing at the end of 1st grade to make sure the child is ready to begin 2nd grade the next year. Because she has SPD, sometimes she manages to concentrate really well and amazes me, but most of the time, it's a struggle to help her execute what she knows even if she knows it well.

I'd recommend taking one issue at a time. Start with the placement and what they think will be best. Keep in mind that as a charter school, she may fit right in with the other 1st graders and it won't be an issue. Another possibility as a charter school is they may be more willing to bump your daughter for specific subjects where she is advanced but keep her with her age mates the remainder of the day.

When you get the opportunity to meet with the administrators/teachers, I wouldn't mention the attention issues. See what they find and notice. If it's an issue, they will notice and take appropriate actions. If not, you don't want to draw attention to your daughter.

At home, keep doing whatever you want. Read aloud great books. Have her write about her day. Do practical math. Fill in with whatever is important to you and don't worry about it.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!

I only recently got the letter that she had been picked for a spot. When I called, I mentioned our situation and they said they'd have an administrator call me back to discuss the possibility of testing her into the next grade. It sounded like they weren't too rigid about it as they would be at the regular PS. But I'm just concerned about trying to impose all my other conditions/issues on them.

Also, I have no clue how well she would do on a test like this. I imagine, she'd have to demonstrate a high degree of competency to be moved up, more so than what would be required, say on testing at the end of 1st grade to make sure the child is ready to begin 2nd grade the next year. Because she has SPD, sometimes she manages to concentrate really well and amazes me, but most of the time, it's a struggle to help her execute what she knows even if she knows it well.

My other dd has SPD & is like that. I haven't figured out a solution yet :tongue_smilie:. I'd ask what kind of test they'd give her so you can prep her on the style (like if it's multiple choice & she's never taken that sort of test).

In addition to her academic ability, schools usually access the maturity level before making decisions to move anybody up the grade (at least PS does). Frankly, if they can accommodate her during the class time with more advanced work, you may want to keep her in the classroom with kids her age. My son’s PS teacher said moving a young kid with older kids can make them feel left out and potentially made fun of. Our PS just gives my kid 1st grade math word and 3rd grade language arts and things are working out. He is in K and fits right in there based on maturity level. So, in short, even if they don’t move her up the grade due to age, you can get them to work with her at her level. I wouldn’t worry too much.

I wouldn't personally push for her to be in second grade. My 5-year-old is reading well and ahead in math and other areas, but I don't see the benefit for our family in trying to have her skip a grade. She's already the youngest kid in her class and very small for her age, and I think factors other than just academics need to be considered too.

Edited by WordGirl

Hi - I can't speak to the dual enrollment or advanced placement.

However, I do have a child who has been diagnosed with SPD and we do have modifications in place for her. During circle time, she is allowed a fidget (something small she holds in her hands to keep them occupied), is allowed to stand during table time, is allowed to go to her cubby and brush herself and she has a weighted pad if needed to help her sit still. She keeps her fidgets, brush and weights in her cubby and is responsible for them.

Now this all sounds like a lot to ask, however, this was all accomplished by brief after school conversations with her Kindergarten teacher at pickup. Her kindergarten teacher is wonderful and very open! The teacher and principal had no issues with the modifications being requested and she is excelling at school. She does not take any medication.

This is very long but basically I would not be afraid to ask for modifications in the classroom. You don't have to be demanding, but it will help your child.

Hope that helps!

It's been my experience that in a lot of private/charter schools, the children tend to be more accelerated than students their own chronological age anyway. I think the fact that parents have to apply/pay for these tends to show that education is a priority and most have been exposed and are b capable and doing higher grade level work. With that said, I would still let the school know your concerns, especially about medication, etc.

Hopefully the teachers do a great job at delving deeper into concepts. Good luck!

Thank you for all the feedback. In the past couple of days, I have been starting to realize that first grade could be a better fit for her after all. I will probably still ask to have the testing, but I guess I don't need to feel like she's loosing a year as long as they can place her at her level in individual subjects which it appears that they can do. Also, it might not go so well, demonstrating that she's mature enough being that SPD issues may make her seem even more immature than she is for her age.

Thank you for the advise to tackle one issue at a time. Testing first and then SPD/ADHD issues. I also need to figure out what the min. required in school time is for dual enrollment so I can still do some homeschooling with her. I've gotten some mixed responses from the school.

I plan to have her evaluated for ADHD in the next couple of weeks so we'll be better prepared for next year, both for school and homeschool as the work becomes a little more demanding.

We visited the school a couple of days ago when I went to turn in the registration papers. After a while, DD was not feeling too great about it. I could tell things like the crowds of kids and noise in the gym were bothering her. On the one hand, I feel like I'd be doing her a disservice by sheltering her from this type of environment as it will never give her the opportunity to aclimate to it or similar situations. On the other hand, it may be too much for her deal with and hinder her learning. It's such a fine line to achieve a good balance -challenging her but not having school be too hard for her, giving her exposure to things that may be hard to deal with but not make it overwhelming, giving her the opportunity to socialize with peers but not having her be socialized by them.

• 3 months later...

Now that school has started, here is the continuation to this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303494

As for the SPD, she is seeing an OT but I don't think it's benefitting her at all.

She has also been diagnosed with ADHD and we are in the process of experimenting with different meds. I haven't asked for any accomodations from the school yet and I'm hoping it won't be necessary.