Menu

Can I wear pants to a wedding?

I haven't been to a wedding since I was 15 (yup not even my own.... got hitched at the courthouse)

My best friend from childhood is getting married in a couple of weeks and I sooo don't want to wear a dress.... can I wear nice pants and blouse? (dressy ones).... I'll even put on jewelry! :eek:

So what's the vote? Any tips or advice?

Thanks,

Kate

I wore pants to three of my cousins' weddings, though I *was* pg for the first two (they were a week apart), and nursing for the last one (I was going to wear a skirt, but I forgot to bring my shoe bag :glare:, so I had to borrow my sister's dress boots, which weren't high enough).

Anyway, neither I nor my mom thought anything of it, but it *was* family, and neither of our families are particularly picky about formal dress.

ETA: My advice is to ask your friend.

What part of the country is it in?

Honestly, for a 5:00pm wedding, I would wear a dress or at least a skirt and blouse. If it's really going to make you uncomfortable/stress you out, wear slacks, but my guess would be that you're not going to be seeing other women in pants. However, each area/family/social group is different, so I could be completely off.

Well, my mother wore pants *in* our wedding [she gave me away], as did one of my bridesmaids....so I'm certainly not the sort of object to a guest wearing pants. :laugh:

Besides... if this is a true friend [and as you say "best friend", then I assume she is] she should be happy that you're there to share in her wonderful day.. not concerned with your clothes. :)

My initial reaction was "Yes, you can." Just out of curiosity, I googled this and came across an official response on a "Wedding Etiquette" website:

Can women guests wear pants to a wedding?

This would depend very much on the style and formality of the wedding, but yes, under many circumstances, dressy pants are perfectly appropriate. Many women are wearing nice pant suits to weddings, when the style and formality of wedding allows. Obviously, this is not an option for a black tie event or for a wedding which is highly formal, but the truth is that many weddings today are of a level of formality in which pants would be absolutely acceptable on women guests.

So...there you have it! :)

My son was married early March. I was surprised, even shocked at how many women wore pants to the wedding. Both Grandmothers on the other side, wore those "car wash" pants with very attractive jackets. They looked wonderful and were very comfortable. It was a 4pm wedding, followed by dinner reception.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to find a dress that I feel comfortable in if not than I am going for some classy slacks.... My mother once told me that I shouldn't wear a dress and it has bothered me since (weird I know- and I do have nice legs- that's about it though :D) but I will take the hubby shopping and see what we can find!

I searched and the forum and also found that people are wearing black.... wow never thought that would be okay..... it is a night wedding and that does open the options up a bit....

Thanks so much!

Kate

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to find a dress that I feel comfortable in if not than I am going for some classy slacks.... My mother once told me that I shouldn't wear a dress and it has bothered me since (weird I know- and I do have nice legs- that's about it though :D) but I will take the hubby shopping and see what we can find!

I searched and the forum and also found that people are wearing black.... wow never thought that would be okay..... it is a night wedding and that does open the options up a bit....

Thanks so much!

Kate

What??? My goodness! If mothers only knew that their words about their daughters bodies would echo for years and years inside our brains. My mother has said MANY things about my body that has taken me YEARS to unlearn. Hmpf. :001_unsure: In my opinion, ANY woman can wear a dress!! It's whether you want to that's important. ;) If you've got great legs-- show them! :w00t:

What part of the country is it in?

Honestly, for a 5:00pm wedding, I would wear a dress or at least a skirt and blouse. If it's really going to make you uncomfortable/stress you out, wear slacks, but my guess would be that you're not going to be seeing other women in pants. However, each area/family/social group is different, so I could be completely off.

:iagree: Late afternoon and evening weddings tend to be semi-formal to formal. Even though I'm a pretty casual dresser, I would wear a dressy skirt or dress.