Menu

Credit for college courses based on ACT score?

Michelle in AL

I think one or two of the colleges I have looked at for one of my kids said something like if you get ___ on the ENglish portion, you move up to higher level of English class and something similar with math, maybe. I think one college I looked at had a certain math class as a requirement unless you got a certain SAT or ACT score. I wasn't impressed by the college since the only required math class was pre-calc and you could get out of it.

Yep, back in the day, I placed out of 4 hours of Biology with a 31 on the ACT at Baylor. I don't know if they do that anymore or not. It was great as I hated science and I only needed those 4 hours for my degree, so I didn't have to take it. I'm still not sure how I got that score when I just took Biology my freshman year and Chemistry my sophomore year. That's it. I came out of that test my senior year without any studying or prep and thought I had completely bombed it. I really took it for English, so I could place out. I only received a 24 on that one. It was my lowest score. I then received a 5 on the AP exam:confused: I never understood my test scores.

Christine

My senior was told by the state university that based on his CR/WR SAT scores that he would be given credit for freshman English. That was the only school that I recall saying anything to that effect.

So I guess it is possible given the university.

Ohio State did this for me, back in the day...I ROCKED that ACT! :lol:

DS (now a college sophomore) was given credit for both semesters of English Comp. due his ACT score on the English portion. At his school, you needed a 31 for the credit and exemption from the class.

At the risk of this seeming like a stupid question since your wording was not unclear, did the college actually grant your ds college credit hours on his transcript for those two english classes, or was it that the requirement for those hours was waived or exempted?

Thanks for clarifying. I ask because it seems that the latter is rare.

At the risk of this seeming like a stupid question since your wording was not unclear, did the college actually grant your ds college credit hours on his transcript for those two english classes, or was it that the requirement for those hours was waived or exempted?

Thanks for clarifying. I ask because it seems that the latter is rare.

He was given college credit hours (3 for each of the English comp. classes), therefore, exempted from taking the classes.

He was given college credit hours (3 for each of the English comp. classes), therefore, exempted from taking the classes.

That's great! Based on what I've heard that's pretty unusual, but any way you slice it, if he doesn't have to actually pay for or waste time in those introductory classes, it's good.

Test scores can be used instead of the standard courses to meet prerequisite requirements for upper level courses. He didn't get credit for any of the intro courses courses he skipped, though. The only benefit was that he didn't have to spend the time or money on those courses.