Menu

Tightwad Gazette - this is even more daunting than WTM....

On the old boards (sniff, sniff!), someone recommended The Complete Tightwad Gazette to someone else, and I've picked it up from the library. But - my - word --- it's so long!!! It seems so very disorganized, and I only have snippets of time to read it.

I was hoping to find a "Do these things first" list, but haven't seen one yet. Does anyone have any insight on how to make the most of this book?

Or maybe your own list of money-saving ideas?

Thanks!

Rhonda

Therefore it's not re-written as a book. Really, it's best for browsing, so snippets of time are perfect. Just dive in and make a note of ideas you want to consider -- maybe paperclip a piece of paper to the front with your notes.

I used Amy's ideas to:

- cloth diaper my baby, and how to launder the diapers

- label my children's hand-me-down clothes to see who will inherit what next

- make a price book

- I make her Create-A-Muffin recipe at least once a week

- freeze vegetable scraps for broth

- make pizza

- disguise vegetables

- focus on the low-cost option for everything from breakfasts to new tires

- talk to the children about money

And lots more. Does that help at all?

I agree with Sharon H in IL.......just read in snippets.

I use the create a muffin recipe once a week at least. We loved this one.

I also really loved the Lentils & Brown rice recipe and I have seen it elsewhere. We use black beans instead but it is still a great and satisfying meal.

That's all I can remember actually still using, but I do refer back to the books often for inspiration.

I find her articles to be most helpful. Flip through and look for Amy's well-thought-out articles - lots of gems in there to get you thinking about how you live.

That said, here are some of the most helpful to me (I can't remember the exact names, but you can look up keywords in the index in the back):

- buying in bulk

- pantry principle

- pantry principle part 2

- budgeting philosophy

- her "universal" recipes for muffins, casseroles, soups, how to deal with leftovers, etc.

and many, many more

Just flip through, and read any article that catches your eye. You can also look in the back index, and see if anything there interests you.

I *love* that book. There are some classic articles that I still remember. Our library used to have them but now they don't. The dumpster diving was funny, and also doing kids costumes on a budget is good for keeping you creative. I think the best part is the money she saved by doing these things. In a culture where we are soo pushed to buy, it's wonderful to have a resource to encourage frugality.

Oh, I also keep in mind her tips about buying second hand clothes. Have fun, and savour the book, The best changes are ones that are made over a period of time. It's also easier for the family too!:)

I have picked it up and just opened it in the middle and started reading. I've read it several times but it really lends itself to being read in pieces.

There is so much to gain from this book. Of course, the books are getting old, so some of it is really not going to be accurate, but there is a LOT of good stuff to read.

You have given me places to start, and that's a big help! Some of the stuff at the beginning of the book just wasn't pertinent, but now I'm ready to start using the index (didn't even think of that!).

Yes, you can tell it's getting a big dated, but I really need something to cheer me on in this endeavor.

Thanks a bunch!

Some of the articles/tips may be dated, BUT, glean what you can of PRINCIPLES Amy talks about in the book. Many of the principles are timeless. And you can take a dated tip and update it by applying the principle of the thing. Example: Amy mentions not buying chicken(?) if it's over a certain price. But prices have changed since she wrote that. The idea is, find the cheapest price of chicken in YOUR area, and don't buy it for over that price. Of course, as we all know, prices fluctuate greatly these days, but it pays to keep a price book and keep track as best you can of the lowest prices on what you buy.

Like others mentioned, I always read them (did you know there were 3 volumes?) in a browsing kind of way. There are lots of nuggets in there that are great -- some... hmm... not so great.

One thing that helps me when I'm reading books like that is to use a big post it (the 4x6 ones). Stick it inside the front of the book. Use it to jot down things you want to do. Soon, you'll have your own custom list of valuable tips.

Like everyone else has said, read the books in bits. The thing about the books that helped me MOST (nearly 15 years ago) was the attitude that we HAD everything we needed. We didn't have a lot of money, but it was in our control to change that without a lot of drama. The best things (off the top of my head) that I learned from the books:

How to make yogurt

Thrift shops! - who knew?

Furniture - how to pick and refinish the good stuff

Price Book - I still use this

Cooking from scratch - still use her pizza dough recipe

Setting goals and not feeling sorry for myself

I like that book!

I don't keep a price book currently, but only because I became VERY familiar w/ the prices when i originally set one up a decade ago --my brain remembers stuff once i write it down, lol. i strongly suggest doing the price book!

*I* already knew about thrift stores lol-- that's where I found the book!

A few kitchen tips even I as a non-cook still use:

buying in bulk

using soy flour in place of eggs [sometimes]

using baking soda to reduce the sugar content in desserts.

re-using ziploc bags :)

now that you've found the index, put little marks by things you look up regularly in the index, and on the page where they are found --you'll get faster at looking them up :-)

i tried making her dog treats one time. [did i mention i am a horrible cook?]. They sure seemed easy enough and came out purty. i gave one to our mutt and she took off w/ it and came back for more. yay for me! a success! she came back a third and fourth time....and then i noticed the DIRT on her nose, so i followed her out....to the backyard....under a bush...where she was BURYING them :eek: Even the dog doesn't like my cooking!! So much for THAT idea, lol.

have fun!