Menu

Need advice on the best "independent work" for my early elementary school kids . . .

jeri

I have six kids, two of whom are ESL (soon to be 4th and 3rd) and also a rising 2nd. They've been home to us for almost 1.5 years but are still far behind in reading, writing and math. All my other kids need help with school too, since they are all under 12. I can schedule "directed learning" with all of them, but I need independent work/busywork (that is NOT busywork) for them to do in the meantime. What I need are good, valuable ideas for all three of them to do when I work with the olders. So far, what I am using for directed learning is AAS, SM and Rightstart, FLL/WWE, some sort of science (to do with all), and some sort of geography.

For independent work, I have solo reading, copywork, and memorization with Living Memory.

I am not opposed to even "busywork" that teaches such as worksheets on basic grammar, etc. Can you all suggest some good "worksheet" type programs that they can do?

Thanks.

Jeri

Besides independent reading, could they read to each other? Partner reading? They could use a stopwatch and time each other, and then read togther and/ or take turns reading a passage.

Handwriting practice? Growing with Grammar? Math practice worksheets or flashmaster? Draw Write Now? Could they play Right Start math games together? Phonics workbook to practice, like Explode the Code or McRuffy or MCP Plaid Phonics?

What about a computer program, like Headsprout or Time4Learning?

Evan Moore Daily Geography (or any of their Daily workbooks)? Montessori vocabulary cards to learn geometry or land/ water forms, names of flowers, trees, etc? Montessori puzzle maps?

A reading comprehension workbook? Listening to books on tape? (They could listen to Story of the World on cd and do some of the activity guide activities on their own.) Free art practice or crafts? Learn to type program? PE type activities? (like a pe assignment?) Building Thinking Skills workbook?

Do they play instruments? Music practice could be an independent activity.

Edited by Terabith

I have six kids, two of whom are ESL (soon to be 4th and 3rd) and also a rising 2nd. They've been home to us for almost 1.5 years but are still far behind in reading, writing and math. All my other kids need help with school too, since they are all under 12. I can schedule "directed learning" with all of them, but I need independent work/busywork (that is NOT busywork) for them to do in the meantime. What I need are good, valuable ideas for all three of them to do when I work with the olders.
Elizabeth B's Phonics Videos. The children watch them and all you do is make sure that they wrote a word or two on their paper. She has been a Volunteer Phonics Tutor since 1994.

free online phonics lessons

Edited by Lovedtodeath

What about Spelling Workout (best, I think, for natural spellers) or Phonetic Zoo by IEW (for your 4th grader). Phonetic Zoo is a spelling program on CD-- especially good for auditory learners.

This website has some great building challenges. You might need to gather a few materials, but then you could turn the kids loose:

http://kidswhothink.blogspot.com/

I second Flashmaster. It's been wonderful around here for drilling math facts.

How about logic/critical thinking books like Dandylion Logic or Mindbenders?

Aunty Math is a great site to get math challenges: http://www.dupagechildrensmuseum.org/aunty/index.html

We also like the Complete Book of Maps and Geography, usually available at Sam's Club this time of year at a great price.

Could an older one teach a younger one--either occasionally or maybe something on a regular basis (like dictation or math or art or whatever their strength is)? I only have 1 hser, but I know that sometimes the best way to truly understand a topic is to explain it to someone else.

journaling--prompted or free

give the older ones a project (or let them choose it). For example, they'll put on a 2 "man" play: pick a historical story line, they research it (reading), they write the script (writing), they develop an expense budget/ decide ticket costs (math). Then, maybe you could even take it further by having them perform it....marketing (art, etc). It's something they could work on a little each day whenever you needed them to be independent. Any questions for the "boss" would need to be written down and have to wait until after the boss is out of the "meeting."

I went to this website and it looks really good, especially to help my kids with reading! But I am wondering if your 7 yo will sit through a lesson. I loved the info, but the presentation was very dry and a bit long (around 20 min). any input?

Thanks.

jeri

We actually have had a couple of flashmasters before, but I could never get my kids to do anything but make noise with them. Not sure if they're still here . . .

Brooke, loved your idea abouut writing down the request for a later time! I think that's what gets me frustrated--it's having to stop when I'm with one child to answer a question for another!

jeri

I went to this website and it looks really good, especially to help my kids with reading! But I am wondering if your 7 yo will sit through a lesson. I loved the info, but the presentation was very dry and a bit long (around 20 min). any input?

Thanks.

jeri

They are specifically designed to be dry and boring! They are meant for older remedial students who need to learn a lot quickly and without distractions. Also, by making them basibally slides with audio, I can compress them smaller than an mp3, so I can afford the bandwidth to make them available free.

My 7 year old will sit through one, but she thinks it is cool that Mommy's voice is in a movie. You could have them pause the movies about halfway through for a short break if your 7 year old cannot make it through.

Edited by ElizabethB
Typing on tiny phone

What about something on the computer like time4learning, reading eggs, mathletics, skwirk, explode the code online, i am sure there are plenty more. I have my older 2 do something on the computer sometimes when i am working with the other one. This is one thing that they never get bored of or walk away from.

Someone already mentioned this...The Complete Book of....series...

For example: The Complete Book of Geography...it is a workbook...fun and easy (and they are learning)!

Here is a link (it says 3rd-6th grader....but many home educators use it starting in 2nd grade):

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Maps-Geography/dp/1561895032/ref=sr_1_1/192-1125201-9765300?ie=UTF8&qid=1248692943&sr=8-1

We're using almost all the same stuff! I'm using AAS, FLL/WWE, Rightstart, R.E.A.L. science by pandia press(earth science), and Galloping the Globe for geography.

I have a 2nd gr. and a Ker, so for my second grader the things I have planned for independent work include:

A workbook on reading maps for 2nd grade. He can do this on his own, even read the very simple instructions. (this will last 6-9wks)

Rod and Staff health grade 2 (start this when map book is done)

His phonics workbook. We have abeka, but I also have ETC if I need to drag it out.

For extra work with AAS, I'm planning on having him copy his spelling words once each, daily (if I need more time w/ his brother). We didn't do this last year, but I'm trying to think of "busywork with a purpose" if you know what I mean. ;)

For FLL/WWE I'm going to let him decorate copywork/dictation pages, draw pictures to include in any letters he has to write to someone etc.

Another option is to set up an "art corner" away from their work area (so they can leave it and finish it later without putting everything away or having a messy desk). Then art would get done as well.

I obviously don't plan to do all this daily. :lol: But these are some ideas I've come up with to fill time.

Evan-Moor has a lot of nice stuff and you can buy the e-book option and print off as many worksheets as you need. I too need more independent work for my kids to work on while I'm working with their sibling. It's been too distracting this year to have them playing while waiting their turn, then it's hard to get they to pay attention to school work when it's their turn with mom. Anyway, here are some fun options I've been considering from Evan-Moor:

Critical and Creative Thinking Activities

Draw...Then Write

Giant Write Every Day (I would only use this for kids who like creative writing, it has writing prompts, they could keep a journal).

Creative Writing Ideas (This one is a little more structured, with riddles they can make, story sequencing, and other ideas, but once again, it will be frustrating for kids who don't like creative writing).

Art for all Seasons (I was thinking I could put out the materials and instructions for an art project for them to work on, but this will only work for kids who are reading well).

Any of the "Take it to Your Seat" Centers

There are also grammar and other kinds of skills worksheets on that site- Daily Language Review, Language Fundamentals, Building Spelling Skills, etc.

There are previews of the books on their website and at Google Books.

Other ideas I've been considering:

Putting out an Ed Emberly book or Draw Write Now Book with writing and drawing paper and pencils and markers.

Having a listening corner set up with a cd player and headphones and various things to listen to- Jim Weiss cds, a picture book or longer book with a cd they could listen to while following along, Classical Kids cds, and other music cds.

There is always assigned silent reading time.

Evan-Moor Never Bored Kid Book and Kumon Paper Crafts books contain little projects and activities they can do on their own, if they can read to follow the directions.

Edited by Annie Laurie

My children have a list from which to choose(chore list, instrument practice, daily grammar/math/penmanship workbooks, flash cards, homework from science or spanish class, free reading or writing) while I work with the other one, but I only have two children.

I think if I had more children I would set up stations. You would need five stations and every child would visit each one. Perhaps....

-audio book

-household chore (make bed, unload dishwasher, fold towels, feed the pets, etc) then Lego time when the chore is completed

-instrument practice (in a different part of the house :)

-math facts

-grammar practice

I would even consider posting a chart to stamp after a station is completed.

Good luck!