Menu

Help me think this through...graduation reunion

Dh and I attended the same high school and would have graduated the same year, except that he dropped out in his sophomore year.

He grew up in the the same town and was one of those people who knew everyone and was loved by everyone. I lived in the town when I was little, then moved away, coming back my sophomore year of high school. Dh and I didn't meet until after high school, but knew some of the same people. Since I didn't grow up in the town, I don't know a lot of kids and the ones I did hang out with were 2 years older, so they won't be at the reunion.

We went to our 10 year reunion, and I was bored to tears. There were very few people who I knew and they weren't anyone I hung out with, so while we recognized each other, we didn't have any of those "remember whens" to entertain ourselves with. Dh knows everyone, and had a good time, I sat at a table and talked to someone I didn't, and don't care for, and have nothing in common with, aside from being assigned the same dinner table.

Dh has found Facebook, reconnected with old friends and really wants to go the reunion. I don't. It will be an expensive weekend as we don't live in the town and it will require hotels and all the charges for the events. I figure it will be a $500+ weekend, plus making arrangements to be away from the kids for 3 days (we won't have a sitter there, so they will stay home). I know dh will want to go all 3 days, so just going a day or so isn't likely and honestly will be almost as expensive so it doesn't matter much anyways.

I told dh he can go without me (we do things separate sometimes so it isn't a big deal) but since it is technically my reunion...he can't go with out me. :0(

WWYD? I don't want to go and don't want to spend that much money on a weekend I am dreading. But, I don't want to make dh miss something that he would really enjoy.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would probably go if it means that much to him. Dh and I both have reunions this year - we live in the same town again as our high schools, but went to different schools. He's very interested in going to his, and some of the extra activities like touring the high school. . .I will be going to the dinner with him, because it does mean a lot to him. But I'm not at all anxious to go to another reunion 2 weeks later (mine) and spend the money again, so we may very well skip mine.

Welll.....how would you handle it if you had each gone to different high schools?

I go to support my husband. He wants me there so he can 'show' me off. ;) I don't know anyone and he doesn't know but a handful at my reunions. I can't imagine not going.

I will say that every passing year makes the reunions more interesting. Fewer 'remember whens' and more people making an effort to get to know each other as adults.

My hubby and I graduated from the same high school and still hang out with the same friends , well, when we are back in that town anyway.

So we have plenty of people to chat with as we bring out own crowd!

However, I will say the tone of the reunion changes as you get older. Folks get more real, more caring, less showing off..more mature and we just had a ton more fun at our 2nd reunion whichever one that was.

I say go and enjoy the alone time with your hubby.

Not everyone went to the same HS or college as their partners! lol You go and chat, or you do other things while the partner hangs with friends. Either way, we're talking hotel sex and no kids. What's the problem?

Good Grief! Some people sneak teA talk into every thread!:blush:

I told dh he can go without me (we do things separate sometimes so it isn't a big deal) but since it is technically my reunion...he can't go with out me. :0(

Sign both of you up. You stay home. He has to stay in a cheapy- flophouse. At the reunion he tells everyone you are just distraught about missing it, but you have infectious enteritis and you couldn't burden anyone else with it. He should tell them he is there to represent you and be you "in spirit". Have him wipe a tear from his eye. They won't turn him away.