Menu

magic school bus kits any good?

Penelope

We just finished using the World of Germs Kit. I really liked the concept and the use of "official" science equipment like test tubes and Petri dishes. Several of the experiments worked quite well, and I believe my younger son learned from them.

On the other hand, the yeast in the kit must have been very old because those experiments yielded NO results. Be prepared to substitute fresh yeast if you try the World of Germs kit. Also the directions for making agar were a little vague, and I diluted the stuff too much as a result. But it still congealed, and we still have some bacteria growing in our Petri dishes. I just think the results would have been more dramatic if I had understood the directions better.

Overall, my son enjoyed doing the experiments; they were easy to complete; and the guidebook was colorful and fun. As long as you go into the process with more of an eye on "fun" than deep learning, I think you will enjoy them, too. I will probably try another kit at some point.

HTH!

Jetta

I had to use my own yeast and our petri dishes didn't work out. They have this warning that says make sure you boil it long enough. It didn't give any time estimate for boiling it, so I apparently didn't boil it long enough and it didn't gel like it was supposed to.

We did an agar/yeast experiment set with another brand kit and had all sorts of trouble. It never did set, I finally chilled it in the fridge like jello. LOL.

I did google some information on agar for future reference, and the warnings about disposing of those lovely home-grown bacteria were enough to scare me off of trying it in the future! But if we do, I'm going to order pre-agar'd petri dishes from some place.

And yeah, fresh yeast helps. :)

Nice to know it wasn't only this other company's product that had problems, because I had other issues with them too and was about to give up. But sounds like this may not have been their fault.

Anyway, google for info before doing the experiment with the agar, and it'll help pin down the specifics for you.

I have used the germs one and our agar dishes worked very well, though I used my own yeast for that part of the experiment. I have the solar system one and rainbows sitting on my shelf to use next and I am looking forward to them.

The human body one was kind of disappointing to me. I paid half price for it and I'm glad I didn't pay more. The iodine was old, so our experiment with that didn't work. :glare:

I was wondering if we'd have the same problem with the germs one - I bought that at even less than half price and I like the test tubes and test tube racks. I'll have to dig up more detailed agar instructions though.

I actually really liked this most of the supplies were in the box. We used it as a weekly science topic did the experiment and read some additional books about each topic. I used it primarily with my 6-7 yo however the 4 year old often tagged along or got a repeat explanation/demonstration of the experiment from his older brother.

PS the iodine worked, its just there was soo little of it in the swaps you really have to squeeze it out.