Menu

dry, brittle hair ...I need an inexpensive product

any ideas? I have lots of very fine hair. It's looking awful these days. I don't spend a lot of time styling it. I rarely use the blow dryer/iron on it, but irregardless it seems no matter what I do it looks frazzled. Dh has been out of work for months, so I need a product I can buy at Walgreens or something. Any ideas? I'm tired of looking frumpy. BTW...i am hypothyroid and I know that can contribute to dry, brittle, falling out type of hair. But the year is 2009 and I know there's a product out there that can help me look a little more attractive. I just can't seem to find it. Michelle

:lurk5:

All I can recommend to you to try right now is olive oil or mayonnaise. Put some in your hair, leave on for 10-15 minutes (probably 15 minutes in your case), and wash and rinse. I have a book on natural products in the home which has been really helpful. Avocado oil is supposed to be really good too, but not as readily available in people's homes.

Michelle,

I sympathize. I'm going through the same thing with an added horror - sudden, inexplicable dandruff. I went to the doctor, but the prescription shampoo is only making the dryness worse. To make matters worse, my hair is horribly curly (think Shirley Temple's hair on a 46 year old and you'll get an excellent idea).

I read on the internet that shea butter is an excellent moisturizer for hair and scalp, so I rubbed some into my hair/scalp, let it sit for about 30 minutes, and then shampooed. I've switched over to organic shampoos (w/ tea tree oil) that do not contain sodium laurel sulfate because that can really strip the hair of oils.

I got my natural shampoo and conditioner at the grocery store; they were $5.99 each. I'm not sure where you could find shea butter; I got mine as a gift from Amy (of Foil Hat fame on these boards) to make soap, so I used it. I'll let you know if it seems to be making a difference.

I'm frustrated and worried. I want my old hair back.

Ria

Coconut oil works really nicely on both my super thick medium-coarse hair and my daughters thinner, very fragile, super-fine hair. You can use it like a warm-oil treatment (leave it on for half an hour or so under a shower cap then wash) or just work a tiny bit into your hair after washing but while still wet/damp. It's good for skin too. And for cooking! :D So you really get your money's worth! :lol:

I use Fruit of the Earth no-alcohol aloe gel, in a tube, available from Drugstore.com. You use just a dime-sized amount or so for shoulder length hair after each shower, so it lasts a long time. I do blow dry (on low--high was causing damage). The aloe has helped me with dryness and limpness; it seems to help my hair use whatever moisture is in the air.

This brand is not 100% aloe, but I'm sensitive to LOTS of things and it doesn't smell, itch, or bother me in any way.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I think I'll try the mayo/coconut suggestions first (as those seem to be quick and economical options), and then if they don't work, I'll try the other products mentioned. I'm so tired of wearing my hair in a ponytail or clip, but cutting it short really isn't an option as dh likes it long. Ria, let me know how your experiment goes. I'm definitely interested to see if it works.

Coconut oil works really nicely on both my super thick medium-coarse hair and my daughters thinner, very fragile, super-fine hair. You can use it like a warm-oil treatment (leave it on for half an hour or so under a shower cap then wash) or just work a tiny bit into your hair after washing but while still wet/damp. It's good for skin too. And for cooking! :D So you really get your money's worth! :lol:

:iagree:

We do this, works wonderfully on straight, curly and dry hair in our gang. :001_smile:

I'll have to chuckle because when I saw the topic I was going to say get tested for hypothyroidism. As I have the same thing too.

I'm not sure though it still sounds like you need to get tested again to check your levels. Usually when the thryoid is low the hair gets brittle and dry and falls out( like mine is doing lately again.)

I've been using my children's all in one shampoo that has conditioner in it and it seems to be helping a little. I'll have to try some of these other remedies to to see if it helps.

:iagree:

I second the olive oil or coconut oil. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then shampoo out with a small amount of shampoo.

When mine gets like that, though, what really fixes it is a good haircut. You don't have to get it all cut off to get rid of the bristly ends. Even 1-2" helps me a lot.

Yes! Food grade coconut oil would be my recommendation as well. I have very coarse, dry hair. I stopped shampooing almost entirely about a year ago, and maybe six months ago began using coconut oil as a conditioner. My hair is so happy!

My dd14 has dry hair, and ringlets, and after reading Curly Girl with me she stopped shampooing at all for a while, and now she shampoos it maybe once a week- but she conditions it every single day when she has a shower. It really is amazing for her hair, which looks healthy and shiny, even though it is naturally very dry.

It doesn't work so well on my wavy hair because I have an oily scalp, but dry ends, but I have learned that I can use heaps of conditioner and it helps.

I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner when my hair starts driving me crazy. My hair really thrives when I use some kind of deep conditioner once a week, but I am lazy about it.

Th bicarb soda/lemon juice works well for me too.

Cheap? Suave coconut shampoo and Suave coconut conditioner, mixed with a bit of that frizz-ease stuff (doesn't matter what brand). Total cost for shampoo + conditioner: $2. Frizzy stuff: $3-$7 (and it lasts for months).

Shampoo twice a week, but mix about a nickle to quarter sized glop of conditioner with a few drops of that serum into your hair after each shower. Let your hair sit wrapped in a towel for a few minutes, and then style.

I don't even have to use 'hair products' any longer.

I have severely dry, frizzy hair that is made worse by anti-convulsants. This combo actually gives me my ringlets back.

I didn't come up with this on my own: I read that it is what Beyonce's stylist uses on her hair.

asta