Menu

Trying to catergorize the different history "program" out there... can you help?

Hello - I am trying to decide what to use for history next year (and in future years) and the more I research the more programs I realize are out there. The way I see it so far is:

Category 1 - guides with additional reading suggestions

Biblioplan

Truthquest

Beautiful Feet

Veritas Press History cards

Category 2 - Spines with summaries and additional reading suggestions

Story of the World

Myster of History

Christine Miller: Guerber Series

Category 3 - Programs that intertwine history with other subjects

Winter's Promise

Tapestry of Grace

Sonlight

My Father's World

Heart of Dakota

Ambleside Online

So here are my specific questions:

1) Did I categorize these correctly? And what programs did I miss?

2) Recommendations on programs based on a ds5th, dd3rd, ds1st

(We would be studying Explorers through American 1800's next year in the 4 year cycle but I am also looking for something long term)

Thank you in advance for your help!!!:001_smile:

Edit: Please see my post on the second page as to what we did this year and what I am hoping to find for next.

Edited by Teachnmama

Hi Teachnmama, welcome to the boards! You're certainly a big picture learner! :) I guess everybody has how they would categorize things. Have you had a chance to read WTM yet? In my journey, I've realized curricula can give me number of different things, and no one curriculum has it all. For instance:

-content coverage--Does it cover the topic with only american/western history, or does it also include broader world history? That's not even a statement of which is better, just something to look at for the given core or spine.

-output expectations--Does it include writing assignments? And for 5th grade up, does it include a spine the dc can outline easily? (per WTM)

-fun components--If it has fun components, are they the type my dc needs? Will my dc need more?

-structure--Does it provide a structure I can live with?

You can combine things to get to where you need to be. For instance, and I speak about things I happen to own (haha, small-time junkie here), TQ has next to no structure but great book lists. So you can use the cards from VP to create a structure to put TQ into. You can use activity books to supplement if your preferred curriculum for structure and usability doesn't happen to have enough crafts. It's all a trade-off of what you get vs. what you need. If you need more output and the program doesn't require it, then you have to recognize and plan that in yourself, adding that to the routine.

I will say you've probably underestimated the VP history, which is a lot more than cards and readings when you use the tm. But that's just an aside.

So try thinking in those terms, that's my suggestion. Think about what components you need to meet the needs of each of your students. Think of that WITHOUT the history curriculum. (5th grader needs to outline; 3rd grader needs to listen to you read, write a narration, do a hands-on; 1st grader just needs a read aloud; that sort of thing) Then you can look at the options to meet those needs. At that point you consider which thing is easiest for you to use. Unfortunately, some of those give you more tools upfront than others. VP is great, but a lot of the magic is from you as far as pulling it together. TOG is the opposite end, a full-course buffet all laid out. But if you know you want to head to Omnibus and don't mind the planning effort, VP might be worth it.

And that brings you to the final thing. Don't just chose what is expedient. Chose your history course with an end, a goal in mind. You're approaching junior high, so you've probably got some things in mind. If you know you want to hit them, work toward them.

Isn't chosing history curriculum fun. I have a little history buff dd, and I personally hate history, get flustered by history, and just bemuddle myself. Just the great irony, eh?

I would add TRISMS (middle school), the Mosaic Curriculum (free online), History Odyssey and Winter Promise.

Just an FYI...Mosaic so far only covers Ancient and Middle Ages and there is actually a thread happening right now on their yahoogroup that the creator of Mosaic is not planning to prepare the Early Modern set in the foreseeable future (health reasons). THere is discussion among the current users to brainstorm together to get reading lists and such together, but as of now there won't be a complete unit for Early Modern (or Modern) in the next year or two. OP said they were going to be doing what amounts to Early Modern.

Given the young ages of your children, my personal preference would be to use something in the Category 2. We did SOTW when my kids were that age and it was plenty of coverage for that age.....for older kids I think delving deeper (i.e. something in your Category 3) would be good. But at this young age you want to give them enough to make it rigorous and not fluff, but not so much that you drain the fun out of it at such a young age. Give them enough to stay excited about it and then the second go-round make it a bit more deep. Just my penny worth (recession value of course).

I like your categories, Teachnmama. You could add a category for traditional texts. They're spines without the resource lists so kind of a subset of category 2. Your lists will continue to grow longer and longer I'm sure because there's always a new curriculum to add!

I personally chose Tapestry of Grace this year for my 5th, 3rd, and 1st graders. Unfortunately, the year plans don't exactly mesh with WTM divisions so you'd be needing to start in Year 2 Unit 3. If you chose to go with TOG you could start out slowly and do 2 units of TOG and start year 3 next year. Or you could do 3 units this year and 3 units next year.

I just finished a review of TOG on my blog. I actually have some specifics on what is covered in Year 3 Unit 1 in the review.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/kristenph/681780/

Tapestry of Grace is not for everyone and there are many opinions if you search these message boards as well.

Hello - I am trying to decide what to use for history next year (and in future years) and the more I research the more programs I realize are out there. The way I see it so far is:

Biblioplan

Truthquest

Beautiful Feet

Veritas Press History card

History Odyssey

Story of the World

Myster of History

Winter's Promise

Tapestry of Grace

Sonlight

My Father's World

Heart of Dakota

TRISMS

Living Books

Category 4 - Unit Studies (I'm sure there are others, but off the top of my head)

FIAR

Christian Cottage Schools

Konos

Weaver

Learning Adventures

Prairie Primer

Category 5 - Textbooks

any and all textbooks including BJUP, ABeka, AO, CLE, etc.

Category 6 - Other

Ambleside Online (free CM curriculum covering everything except math)

Core Knowledge (curriculum that covers all subjects- this may also be a guide, but they are developing so much of their own material now that I put it here)

So here are my specific questions:

1) Did I categorize these correctly? And what programs did I miss?

2) Recommendations on programs based on a ds5th, dd3rd, ds1st

(We would be studying Explorers through American 1800's next year in the 4 year cycle but I am also looking for something long term)

Thank you in advance for your help!!!:001_smile:

Tanglewood and History Mosaic are currently defunct, but what is there is good.:)

I also agree with OhElizabeth. You need to think about your homeschooling philosophy, what your goals are, and how your children learn. There are so many wonderful choices, but knowing these things will help you to shorten the list significantly!

HTH-

Mandy

Tanglewood and History Mosaic are currently defunct, but what is there is good.:)

I can't believe I didn't include Tanglewood! I'm using SOTW 1 with the recommended books from Tanglewood. I think it's such a nice program that seems to fit this teacher and my student so well.

You have given me some things to think about and look into. My purpose in catergorizing the choices was two-fold - I wanted to see what curriculums are out there that I am not aware of and secondly, to research into the different curriculums to see what would be the best fit for our family.

We used the Christine Miller Middle Ages and Renaissance books this year as a spine and used a ton of supplemental books when we wanted to park it on a person or topic - and for activities I used a combination of the Hands and Hearts History kits and maps and activities from the Story of the World Activity guides. It was just a lot of work putting all of this together and we will have a new baby to add to the mix.

I guess for next year, I would ideally love to find a program that gives a spine so we have something to follow especially for those times when you only want to briefly cover a topic and gives you activities and book recommendation without being overwhelming. I would also love to use something that has a Biblical basis or foundation. My kids like activities such as simple map work or a simple craft that makes things fun but aren't too overwhelming (and I won't have a lot of time to prep).

Hopefully, this makes some sense and I appreciate any suggestions or things to think about. I am a research junkie so if you can just get me on a couple paths I am more than willing to do the work to see what would be best for my family.

Thank you again! :lol:

Edited by Teachnmama

Thank you for the suggestion - I have never heard of this program. I will look through it this weekend. Have you used this and if so, what did you like/dislike about it?

Thanks!!

I have not used it, but some friends on another board have been raving about it. They like the flexibility. From what I understand you have a chapter to read, and a workbook to write about it in. Then the teacher's book gives lots of suggestions for additional reading, coordinating literature, and hands-on activities.

It's my #2 choice for next year, only because it will (most likely) be my first year with two students. My students are more than 5 years apart in age and have completely different learning styles. I'm thinking I need it all laid out, scheduled, and packaged in a box, so I'm using SL with one and Oak Meadow with the other. Assuming we can afford it. If not, I'll have a major panic attack, and THEN I'll go buy this book. :)

A new one I saw today at a curriculum fair is Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration.

It looked really nice & covers mutiple topics for multiple ages (approx. grades 1 or 2 through 5 or 6). Each lesson has activities for:

Copywork/Dictation

Reader

Read-Aloud

Word Study

Geography, History, and Science

Writing, Drawing, & Doing

Independent Reading

Student Notebooks

A new one I saw today at a curriculum fair is Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Exploration.

It looked really nice & covers mutiple topics for multiple ages (approx. grades 1 or 2 through 5 or 6). Each lesson has activities for:

Copywork/Dictation

Reader

Read-Aloud

Word Study

Independent Reading

Student Notebooks

Whoa! This looks really good. It looks like the kind of stuff I put together. Thanks for sharing!

Biblioplan

Truthquest

Beautiful Feet

Good categories. :-)

I'll have to quibble about Beautiful Feet Books, though. The study guides don't have "additional reading suggestions." Beautiful Feet Books study guides give specific reading assignments for each trade book (a trade book is one that you'd find in the library, as opposed to a textbook) and then then the dc record things in their notebooks. Beautiful Feet Books is based on the Principle Approach. IOW, the reading is not "suggested" or "additonal."

Thanks Stacia - I have never heard of this program - another one to look into! :)

Copywork/Dictation

Reader

Read-Aloud

Word Study

Independent Reading

Student Notebooks

Biblioplan

Truthquest

Beautiful Feet

Story of the World

Myster of History

Winter's Promise

Tapestry of Grace

Sonlight

My Father's World

Heart of Dakota

Ambleside Online

Just for fun, I tried to scan my brain for other history programs we've used or ever heard about. Here's what I came up with --

- Diana Waring's history

- Greenleaf Press (not sure how recent it goes)

- Lessons From History (Gail Schultz)

- Konos (their high school is a History of the World but not sure if it's finished; for youngers, they have some history units, especially US explorers, settlers, revolutionary war)

- Heart of Wisdom has a 4-year history plan, tho not sure how far the actual teaching materials go yet

- Learning Adventures is history, but not sure if it's finished

Edited by Julie in MN