Menu

Would I be crazy?? Swine flu question.

We are in North Texas (DFW area) and I have considered pulling my children out of public school. There's only about a month left so they really wouldn't miss too much that I couldn't teach at home. Dh had me put them on the waiting list for Texas Virtual Academy for next school year in case it does turn into a pandemic because he said that the CDC stated that this could continue through the fall.

I don't want to be an overly paranoid parent but I want to keep my children safe & healthy. I've been wanting to go back to homeschooling too so this seems like the perfect time, right?! LOL!

What would you do if your children were in public school considering the recent swine flu information?

No answers for you, I am feeling the same way.

Just had a HS close in our area, and feel like pulling my two kids that are in public out, but then I feel like I'm being crazy.

I guess, in the long run, it would be better for them to catch in now, then in the fall. Just a waiting game at this point...

Unless you are going to keep them at home completely and never be around other people at all, it may not prevent their catching it. They might catch it at the park, in WalMart, at church, playing with a neighbor...

Now bringing them home because you want to homeschool again is a whole other issue. I always support homeschooling :)

I'd yank them out so fast their heads would spin. Do it yesterday.

That's what I was going to say, but...I deleted my post. What do I know?

Remudamom, otoh--I'd totally trust what she says. My favorite thing about her is she makes me feel less paranoid.

Really, though, my only reason for *not* pulling a kid out right now would be looking stupid. That's a terrible reason for not acting. Ya know?

Unless you are going to keep them at home completely and never be around other people at all, it may not prevent their catching it. They might catch it at the park, in WalMart, at church, playing with a neighbor...

Now bringing them home because you want to homeschool again is a whole other issue. I always support homeschooling :)

But don't you think the confined quarters & intense KID populations in a typical school would make it...more likely to spread? When I was in school, we shared bathrooms, food, passed notes, etc. We don't do that w/ people at WM.

You are lucky in that choosing to homeschool is a VERY easy option in TX. DO IT TODAY. You can learn a LOT here and in Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind. School is almost out for the year anyway, and you can research and start fresh in the fall. It's a great idea even without the flu issue. Wise move on planning ahead!! :thumbup:

I guess, in the long run, it would be better for them to catch in now, then in the fall. Just a waiting game at this point...

Why do you feel that way?

At this point, we don't *know* how bad it's going to get, and given time, there will be a vaccine for this strain (and even if individuals choose not to get the vaccine, if a large portion of the population gets it, the spread will be slowed down).

Now, there could also be a time (conceivably) when antivirals are tough to come by, when panic itself makes the situation worse... But that's just one potential -- not assured by any means.

I think I'd rather keep my family healthy for as long as possible, and fight the flu if we must...

(That said, I don't know that I'd pull my kids out of school over this *now* either. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Though I'd be encouraging them to wash their hands a lot more regularly *At* school, and any time they step into the house.)

But don't you think the confined quarters & intense KID populations in a typical school would make it...more likely to spread? When I was in school, we shared bathrooms, food, passed notes, etc. We don't do that w/ people at WM.

It actually depends on the school and the teacher. I know many teachers that spray everything with lysol at the end of the day to prevent germs from living until tomorrow - much in an effort to keep themselves well. I know I did that. Some schools I taight in required for young children the classroom toys and equipment be sprayed after every use. But I don't know any teachers in her area so I can't say for certain.

You may not share food and such at Walmart, but you do share carts, hangars, and touch many other objects that have just been touched by a potentially sick person. Next time you visit Walmart watch how many items are touched and put back. Or any gricery store for that matter. I once babysat a child with cystic fibrosis and was warned to avoid any shopping place due to germs. When my dd was born prematurely I was told by a different set of doctors that stores and restaurants were some of the worst places to take her germ and illness wise. My son contracted salmonella from a cart at WalMart as a toddler. How about a restaurant - someone could be carrying the virus, not know it or think they are better, and be the one to roll your fork in the napkin. You have just been exposed and don't even know it. If the children in the neighborhood or church still attend public school, unless you completely isolate your child, they could be exposed again without knowing it. Churches are often filled with people sitting close in contactefd quarters like schools. If the parent feels better, fine, but removing a child from school won't guarantee the child won't contract the flu or any other illness.

Why do you feel that way?

At this point, we don't *know* how bad it's going to get, and given time, there will be a vaccine for this strain (and even if individuals choose not to get the vaccine, if a large portion of the population gets it, the spread will be slowed down).

Now, there could also be a time (conceivably) when antivirals are tough to come by, when panic itself makes the situation worse... But that's just one potential -- not assured by any means.

I think I'd rather keep my family healthy for as long as possible, and fight the flu if we must...

(That said, I don't know that I'd pull my kids out of school over this *now* either. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. Though I'd be encouraging them to wash their hands a lot more regularly *At* school, and any time they step into the house.)

I didn't mean to imply I want my kids to get sick now. I am not sending them to school in hopes of them getting it, but if they happen to get it now, and recover as most are so far, then they will have built up immunities to it in case it does get worse come flu season.

It's just a big WHAT IF game right now, this thing could go any direction.

Having said that, I did talk to my kids about not sharing anything, washing their hands frequently, and not touching their faces. I have them put their school clothes into the washing machine when they get home and scrub their hands.

I plan to watch what happens over the next couple of days and may change my mind about keeping them in school, and the decision may be made for me since one school in our county has already shut down.

Are there other reasons you would like them out? This would definitely be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. What are their ages? Are you willing to homeschool? I would think that is a great reason to pull out. What if the school gets shut down anyway? This way you have an education plan in place so your children will not be behind. Sure they can get the flu in other locations such as the grocery store. But that is not as likely in a building tightly packed with kids.

I do not think pulling children out of public school and/or avoiding public places is necessary. You are right to be concerned, and right to educate yourself about the Swine Flu, just as you educate yourself about any other potential health risk (i.e., seasonal flu).

Do you know the symptoms of Swine Flu? If not, you may be interested to know the initial symptoms are the same of any other upper respiratory illness – coughing, fever, sore throat, body aches.

Swine Flu is transmitted the same way “regular†flu is transmitted: Primarily through droplets, expelled through sneezing or coughing. Touching a surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth or nose can also transmit the virus. Handwashing is the number one way to prevent disease transmission. Also, advise children to keep hands away from nose, eyes and mouth (I know, I know, easier said than done).

Treatment is mainly supportive (rest, fluids, fever reducers like Tylenol). Tamiflu and Relenza (two anti-viral meds) are effective against Swine Flu, and can be prescribed by your physician and the onset of flu-like symptoms. Swine Flu can only be diagnosed by a nasal swab. Just FYI, “regular†flu can only be diagnosed via nasal swab as well, but many doctors treat flu without a definitive diagnosis.

The only death so far in the United States so far has been a toddler with an underlying medical condition. The people most at risk of perishing from Swine Flu are those at risk of perishing from other health threats, the elderly, very young and those with underlying health conditions and/or compromised immune systems.

For more information: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

It actually depends on the school and the teacher. I know many teachers that spray everything with lysol at the end of the day to prevent germs from living until tomorrow - much in an effort to keep themselves well. I know I did that. Some schools I taight in required for young children the classroom toys and equipment be sprayed after every use. But I don't know any teachers in her area so I can't say for certain.

You may not share food and such at Walmart, but you do share carts, hangars, and touch many other objects that have just been touched by a potentially sick person. Next time you visit Walmart watch how many items are touched and put back. Or any gricery store for that matter. I once babysat a child with cystic fibrosis and was warned to avoid any shopping place due to germs. When my dd was born prematurely I was told by a different set of doctors that stores and restaurants were some of the worst places to take her germ and illness wise. My son contracted salmonella from a cart at WalMart as a toddler. How about a restaurant - someone could be carrying the virus, not know it or think they are better, and be the one to roll your fork in the napkin. You have just been exposed and don't even know it. If the children in the neighborhood or church still attend public school, unless you completely isolate your child, they could be exposed again without knowing it. Churches are often filled with people sitting close in contactefd quarters like schools. If the parent feels better, fine, but removing a child from school won't guarantee the child won't contract the flu or any other illness.

Ok, but we touch *more* of the same things in a school. There are forks & food there, too. To me, it's easier to be vigilant at WM & avoid restaurants. It's not about *guaranteeing* that 100% of the risk is averted, it's about minimizing it.

Honestly, I don't know anything. But I do see kids at church picking their noses, wiping it on stuff, etc. Keeping kids home, being w/ them at WM, etc., at least lowers the adult-child ratio, so there are better odds of saying, "Wash your hands, don't touch taht, don't eat that," etc.

But this is coming from a hs'er. I've never had my dc in ps. I taught highschool for a yr, & that was pretty gross, too, but...I could be way off. Plus I'm paranoid. And easily grossed out. And don't have an incredible immune system. But DO have a vivid imagination. So, you know, grain of salt & all. :001_smile:

Plus I'm paranoid. And easily grossed out. And don't have an incredible immune system. But DO have a vivid imagination. So, you know, grain of salt & all. :001_smile:

LOL, I am the same way. That's why I am having such a hard time with this, finding the line between common sense and crazy mom.

I've got kids in school, and I've been thinking about the same thing. So far no cases in my state. I'm watching and waiting at this point. It's state testing at school this week and next (which has got to be repeating at other schools around the country), and I'm reluctant to pull them out without firm cause. So far the virus seems to be about as virulent as the regular flu, so I think I'll just continue with our current plans unless that changes.

I'm finding it difficult to not be overly concerned yet on the other hand make wise decisions.

My dd just came home from high school. Two of her teachers are home sick with flu-like symptoms One of her teachers sent a letter to the students asking them to pray for her (this is a christian school). It really worries me that it could just be starting at this school but at this point I can't pull dd out. She has 3 weeks left and then finals. She would miss too much school and most likely this is just the regular flu or some other virus.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about this. There are a few isolated cases of this in the US, and the symptoms don't seem to be any worse than the flu strains that have already run their course this year. It's not anything to panic over. The regular flu kills thousands of people in the US alone every year. This flu hasn't killed anyone who caught it in the US (I'm not counting the child who died in TX...evidently he was already ill and visiting from Mexico). Who knows what the situation is in Mexico...overcrowding, unsanitary conditions, poor access to routine health care come to mind.

Ria

Well, I'll go against the grain. I wouldn't even consider it at this point. And if I were that paranoid, my kids also wouldn't be going to the grocery store, restaurants, congregation activities, playground, etc.

But there is NO evidence at this time that ANY of us should be changing our lifestyle except holding off on certain trips (like to Mexico).

People panicking here is the worst part of this. Did y'all pull your kids out when the flu was going around? The chicken pox? People die from those things.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I think that behaving in a paranoid manner is way more problematic than the swine flu, at least at this time.

Edited by 2J5M9K