Menu

I haven't been around much because my new job has been a challenge in every way.....

Let me start with the end; I have no right leaving a job right now with an underemployed DH and overdue bills. So I am making the best of this job with an MP3 (the birthday gift I didn't want), devotional time in the am using Garden Tryst materials, a study on peserence.

But!!!! This job is not the job I pursued and agreed to. No mention was made that the building included 2 salons - one nail and one hair. I was under the impression it was all office/profressional space. I agreed to 2-3 hours M-TH and sometime over the weekend. The salons have clients Saturday and need service Friday. I would not have agreed to the job if I knew as I already work Friday 6pm until 1am. That means either nyself or my DH is at the building 6 days a week.

Additionally, there is no way to get everthing "they" (my boss, the landlord and the landlors's clients) done in 2 to 3 hours. My boss insists this is a function of experience and efficiency. I assure you it's not. I am efficient and know how to save steps. We don't click - at all! The other day she TRAINED me on how to get a mop bucket over a threshold. She'd rather talk then work. I'm Presbyterian; we'd rather build you a house than talk.

It's a contract paid to her by job; not hour. She expects me to stay and work no matter what it takes. Um? For $600 a month? I'll work hard and give it my best but not endlessly for a rapidly diminishing hourly rate.

It's humbling. Awfully, devastatingly and tear producing humbling. I could do any of the non specialized admin jobs on the desks I clean.

This is a very selfish wish. But I hope someday my children are able to evaluate this season of their childhood accurately. DH and I have beeb working "beneath" is jobs for 1.5 years. Their Dad remains unemployed, pursuing a hostile and costly legal battle and pays $400 child support.

I'm sorry Joanne. I would think you could give her lessons on efficiency. LOL I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that her expectations are unreasonable and that your capabilities reach much farther than what you're doing.

If I were you, I'd advertise my services in the same capability until something better comes. Some people cannot be reasoned with.

I'm sorry, Joanne. I know this is frustrating. We had our years with those kinds of jobs as well.

Keep in mind that all work is honorable. This is an important lesson to teach your children. What an opportunity you have to help them to learn it *now*, when they're young, and their views of the world are still being shaped.

"I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker."

~Helen Keller