Menu

Kinda personal health thing, but I need some input. (no men please!!)

Okay, I am embarrassed to post this, but here goes...

How would I know if I had a yeast infection or a bladder infection? I have never had either, but there is something going on in the nether regions and I just don't know what it is!

I'm not having the urge to go to the potty all the time, and it doesn't hurt when I go, but it's like there is just something THERE - stinging/burning - all the time. It hurts a bit to actually wipe after I go.

I was having lower back pain that I was concerned was my kidneys, but that seems to have disappeared. I am running no fever. I have no major itching either.

I tried to call the dr today (my gyn because I will NOT go to the gp for this), but they were out. I hate to have to go in because we live an hour away from there and I was in town today. Of course I will if I have to.

Are there any ideas you guys can give me that might help whatever this might possibly be?? Thanks!

Ugh Stacey ... I think you're going to have to suck it up and go to the doctors.

My experience with bladder infections is that you feel the need to go all the time and it's painful when you do go. My experience with yeast infections is that the itching is so awful you might consider using a bottlle brush to relieve it. You seem stuck somewhere in the middle.

I hope you can see someone soon - anything like this is so miserable and uncomfortable.

It sounds to me like you have a UTI coming on; it's just not full-blown yet. Until you can get to the doctor, you should drink lots of water, go pee as often as possible, drink lots of cranberry juice too. If you have Vitamin C around, take a large dose. If you happen to be able to get to a drugstore, cranberry pills will help too. Anything that will make your urine acidic is good! (Even aspirin will do a bit.)

All that will help control it until you can get treatment. You'll know it's a UTI if you get a lot of pain right at the end of urination--something like being stabbed. Good luck!

BTW the doc won't need to do an exam or anything; a UTI is diagnosed with a urine test. So you can go to your gp if that's the problem.

--Dangermom, who is drinking a lot of water tonight too :/

It sounds to me like you have a UTI coming on; it's just not full-blown yet. Until you can get to the doctor, you should drink lots of water, go pee as often as possible, drink lots of cranberry juice too. If you have Vitamin C around, take a large dose. If you happen to be able to get to a drugstore, cranberry pills will help too. Anything that will make your urine acidic is good! (Even aspirin will do a bit.)

I agree with Dandgermom's post. And get thee to a doctor soon!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I would go to dr. but you say that is a distance and you can't today;so if it were me. It sounds to me like you have the beginnings of a yeast infection, that is how it started for me, and I have had only one. Have you been taking any antibiotics at all or started eatting lots of yogurt? I would get something for yeast infection at store; but then I havne't had insurance for a few years and put of going to dr at all cost lol. It should only take 24hrs and you will know because you will feel "normal" If it persist obvisouly you will have to cowboy up and go to dr. good luck.

Agree with danger mom and others...I have always had a predisposition to both UTI's and yeast infections and in the very first stages I can never tell which it is. Frequent urination, some itching...pressure a bit...but that's the same for both. If you are in excruciating pain and its NOT itching then I would say UTI. And while I have been able to reverse it on my own VERY early on, it's difficult to do w/out antibiotics. Often the pain starts so intensely and fast it can be pretty awful if you have to wait for a doctors visit.

Meanwhile, ditto on the yogurt. In fact, I would take some acidophilus from a local health store..ask they what they'd recommend. Because very very often until I started taking those fine little pills, I would end up with yeast after the antibiotic course. Then I'd have to work on getting rid of the yeast. A cycle, my friends, that was not pretty. In any way. And I was WIPED out by all the infection going on in my body. Again, I'd really recommend the acidophilus over yogurt. OF course, it depends on your body too...yogurt alone works for some..but why take chances?

I had to laugh at the bottle brush ananlogy! OH, yeah. I had a friend who once said you know its a yeast infection when all you want to do is put an ice pack between your legs...:)

Wish you the best!!

In between now and the doctor visit, take some ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) and drink lots of water. If you mix a tablespoon of baking soda in with a glass of water (nasty, I know, but effective), it will help neutralize the acid in your urine. Eat bland foods and stay away from coffee, tea, soda, berries and citrus fruits. My urologist told me NOT to drink cranberry juice during an infection, only as a preventive measure, because it also is acidic.

Even if you don't have a UTI, this stuff won't hurt. If you do, it will keep the pain and duration down. Feel better soon!

I didn't really link it all at first, but it started the other day when I ate raw garlic every hour to help my sinus/flu I had going on. In addition, I was taking a couple thousand mg of Vit C. Well, later that evening I noticed that I felt what I thought was my kidneys hurting. Then, the next day, I started with this pain or raw feeling in my private area. ;-p

Well, she seems to think that I might have really overdone the garlic and that all of the acid coming out in my urine from that and the Vit C WITHOUT drinking enough additional water, has just irritated everything.

It makes sense. I don't drink much water at home because it's pretty yucky. I was juicing (which probably made it all worse - carrot and orange) and drank no water.

SO, I am loading up with water today. The kidneys are feeling better and the other symptom HAS eased up. If I am not significantly improved by tomorrow, I'll have a urine culture.

Here's hopin...

In fact, I would take some acidophilus from a local health store..ask they what they'd recommend. Because very very often until I started taking those fine little pills, I would end up with yeast after the antibiotic course. Then I'd have to work on getting rid of the yeast. A cycle, my friends, that was not pretty. In any way.
Oh, tell me about it! I have done that cycle and it was horrible. I fought with it through our first year of marriage...:eek: Cranberry pills saved me! Thank you wonderful nurse!