Menu

Scheduling...

Marsha

English= Narration -daily

Dictation 2x per week ( when we start doing dictation)

Copywork- daily dropping to 2xs per week when start dictation

Spelling daily

Literature- Read aloud daily a lighter selections

Read aloud 1x weekly ( our current selection from LCC)

Bible daily

History 1-2 x per week

Science 1-2 x per week

Art /Art appreciation 1x per week ( free exploration during afternoons)

Music/music appreciation daily- listen to composer of quarter during free time.

Nature Study 1x per week

Foreign language daily when start.

We're scheduling for First Year (age 6-7).

English -- no formal English Grammar studies until Second Year

Spelling -- weekly

Literature-classic and history readings -- daily

Bible -- weekly

Writing -- embedded in other activities, otherwise not until Third Year

History -- 4 times a week

Science -- 4 times a week

Art and Art Appreciation -- 2X weekly (one doing art, the other artist study and picture study)

Music and Music Appreciation 2X weekly (once piano lesson, the other composer study and music appreciation)

Foreign Language -- 2X weekly Spanish (once computer program, the other reading a story in Spanish)

Nature Study -- 1X weekly

Narration/Dictation/Copywork -- Narration across the subjects, at least 4 times a week; Dictation not until Second Year formally; Copywork 3X a week, Penmanship 2X weekly.

Our ideal schedule:

English - daily

Spelling - daily

Literature-classic and history readings - daily

Bible - daily

Writing - daily

History - daily

Science - 1 or 2x week

Art and Art Appreciation - occasionally

Music - daily

Music Appreciation - occasionally

Foreign Language - daily

Nature Study - walk daily, but no formal class

Narration/Dictation/Copywork - part of English for younger kids

What grade level are you wondering about, Marsha?

This is what we do for 4th grade:

English - daily

Spelling -daily

Literature (independent reading and read-alouds) - daily

Bible - we used to do it daily, but haven't done it lately

Writing - part of English, so daily

History - daily

Science - daily

Art and Art Appreciation - a few times a week

Music and Music Appreciation - would like to get back to daily piano with weekly lessons

Foreign Language - daily (Rosetta Stone Spanish) -- adding Latin soon

Nature Study - rarely, but would like to change that now that the weather is warming up

Narration/Dictation/Copywork - Narration every day in conjunction with reading, but no dictation or copywork

It sounds like a lot, but we don't spend a lot of time on each subject, and are usually done by lunchtime.

Also, you didn't mention Math, but we do that every day, too.

Cat

How many times a week do you do:

English

I assume you mean grammar - we do it three or four times a week.

Spelling

Daily, because it's a very weak area for dd. We'll likely only do it three times a week with the other two, assuming it's not such a weak area.

Literature-classic and history readings

Daily

Writing

Daily

History

Once or twice a week, not counting any supplemental reading, which may spread into other days.

Science

Twice a week.

Art and Art Appreciation

Once a week - we outsource this.

Music and Music Appreciation

Once a week - we outsource this.

Foreign Language

We aren't currently doing any, but when we resume, it'll be daily.

Narration/Dictation/Copywork

Hmm. Well, we're doing two narrations a week (one science, one history), copywork through our writing program once a week, and dictation daily through our spelling program.

It sounds like a lot, but we don't spend a lot of time on each subject, and are usually done by lunchtime.

Catwoman, I would love to hear more about how you get this done and how you keep lessons short. Is it the curriculum you are using or what is the secret? Are you an extremely organized mom with a clear schedule for every day? Please impart some wisdom/insight....:)

English - we do grammar four days per week, generally, save for a few weeks when we do five days in order to be able to finish up all the pages of the book for the year. We do about 30 minutes per day.

Spelling - we do spelling five days per week. Fridays is just the test over the lesson. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes except for the later grades, which turn into more of a word study and can take longer - I'd say up to 30 minutes sometimes.

Literature-classic and history readings - I schedule in 30 minutes a day and try to always do at least that much, but we usually have extra time and so fill that in with reading. I'd say that on average, we read about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day.

Bible - about 30 minutes per day.

Writing - about 30 minutes per day; generally 4 days per week.

History - 2 hours per day on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Science - 2 hours per day on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Art and Art Appreciation - we fit it in where we can with outside classes, generally. He's done art class and drama class this year. We often include art appreciation in with our history readings. We see numerous plays during the course of the year, as well.

Music and Music Appreciation - same as for art. He takes piano lessons and practices on his own time for that. We used to go to musical performances, but our university lost their grant for those. Then we still were at least going to yearly symphony performances, but that had to be cancelled this year, too. So this year, we've done various high school and college choir performances, piano recitals, and some of our plays have been musicals - that's about all.

Foreign Language - Latin and Spanish alternate, so he gets five lessons of each every two weeks. These are about 30 minutes each, or less. He also has a once per week outside Spanish class that's an hour in length (with a native speaker).

Nature Study - that's part of life for us, so happens with regularity outside school. We've been doing biology studies (including botany, too) this year, so some of it has been incorporated into our science studies this year, but that's not always the case.

Narration/Dictation/Copywork - He's doing written reports this year rather than narrations (fifth grade). I've also not been doing copywork or dictation this year. He's doing a large variety of writing projects for me instead (outlining, reports, book reports, working with literary elements, etc.).

In 07-08, I scheduled every two weeks in advance. Last Summer, I bit the bullet and scheduled our entire year out, and yes, we have stuck to it! I am in the process of working on next year's. This one is downloadable, and I will post next year's in an editable format (word vs. pdf) if anyone would like to use it and tweak it to their own style.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4250976/0809-Master-Grade-6-Schedule-PDF

English-Daily

Spelling-Daily

Literature-classic and history readings-Daily

Bible-Daily

Writing-Daily

History-Daily

Science-Daily

Art and Art Appreciation-As it comes up in TOG

Music and Music Appreciation-As it comes up in TOG

Foreign Language-Daily for my oldest, non for the rest.

Nature Study-encouraged not scheduled

Narration In 2nd grade and up daily

Dictation K and up daily

Copywork When they aren't doing handwriting books, daily as handwriting (and yes my oldest STILL needs to practice).

Heather

We have Grades three and five, here (sort of).

English--grammar 4x/wk

composition--4x week

Spelling --2-3x week

Literature-classic and history readings--1x week + assigned reading done on own time (1/2h per day for Grade three, 3/4h per day for Grade 5er)

Bible-- daily

History--currently switching to 1x/week

Science-- 1x/wk

Art and Art Appreciation -1x/week

Music and Music Appreciation 1x/week

Foreign Language 4x/wk

Nature Study - never

Narration--2x/wk (Composition and History, usually)should be 2x to 3x for 5th Grader

Dictation--1x/wk (should be 2x/week for 5th grader)

Copywork--2x/wk currently upping it to 4x (used excluively for memory work).

hth--I post a weekly review fairly consistently on my blog. Scheduling has really been the thing I've struggled with the most since starting to homeschool.

Edited by Alana in Canada

English

Spelling

Writing

This is all one subject for us. All of the children do it five times a week.

Bible

History

I'm not sure what you mean by classic and history readings. I teach religion, history and literature each once a week.

Art and Art Appreciation

daily drawing practice

random art appreciation

daily instrument and theory practice & instruction, but we never do appreciation

Foreign Language

daily

Nature Study

randomly, but we do science once a week

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

English

Spelling

Bible

Writing

History

Science

Art and Art Appreciation

Foreign Language

Nature Study

For my elementary schoolers (currently 1st and 3rd)

English:

• Grammar: T-F (4x)
  • Reading: M-F (5x)
  • Dictation (for spelling, handwriting, and writing skills): M-F (5x)
  • Written narrations: right now, sporadically. When we start new grades in late July, I plan to include this daily, requiring longer written narrations from my 4th grader than my 2nd.
  • Oral narrations: every day, from everything they read and from everything I read to them
  • Until they read easily from books like My Father's Dragon, Boxcar Children, etc, they have daily phonics lessons as well. My youngest has just moved out of phonics lessons. (He has read two of the books from the My Father's Dragon series, The Littles, and Space Brat, and is now reading Dangerous Journey.)
  • Spelling: My children seem to learn spelling better from phonics lessons followed by daily dictation, so I don't use a spelling text.
  • Literature (Read aloud to them): I schedule this 5x a week, but it is one of the things that gets dropped if someone doesn't feel well or if we are running late, etc.
  • Copywork: I use this until their phonics and handwriting skills are up to dictation. Then I drop copywork. I add copywork back in when it is time to transition to cursive. At that point, in addition to daily dictation, I assign a few words and letters every day in cursive. As their skills improve, I move them up to writing short sentences in cursive. When they are ready, they start doing dictation in cursive. (I usually assign shorter dictations for a while, until cursive is more natural to them.)

Spanish:

(My husband is Guatemalan and we want them to become fluent in Spanish because it is part of their heritage, so this is a priority for us.)

• Spanish Read Aloud, with oral narration in Spanish after: T-F 4x week (usually, sometimes this gets dropped)
  • Spanish reading: M-F, 5x week. My 1st grader is using the workbooks that go along with the Rod and Staff readers. He will use these for the rest book B and for book C. Then he will do what his sister is doing. For my 3rd grader: I go over the vocabulary words and phrases in the reader with her. Then, she reads the story to me. Next, she gives me an oral narration of the story in Spanish. Last, she writes a short sentence from dictation and draws a picture of the story to go with it.
  • Spanish church and Sunday school (every Sunday morning, many Sunday nights)

Bible: 5x week. (Bible reading, narration, memory work)

History: 4x week (read, oral and/or written narration. Some days we do map work and/or coloring pages in addition to or instead of the reading.) This can get skipped if we are busy or not feeling well.

Science: 4x week (read and/or activity. oral and/or written narration)

Art/Art Appreciation/Music/Music Appreciation:

• Picture study: I print out 6 works each by 3 artists at the beginning of the school year. I put our current work on the wall in a page protector, and change it every 2 weeks. Every day, I schedule a time to look at the painting. On the 2nd Friday, I have them sketch the picture from memory (sometimes I do this, too). We compare our sketches to the original, noticing what we remembered and what we left out. Then, they file the sketch in their notebooks.
  • Art: I have lots of "How to Draw" type books available. They also draw pictures to go with their written narrations and in their free time. I have charcoal pencils and various types of paint available to use with permission. We also have lots of plain and colored paper and cardstock, as well as scissors, tape, glue, staples, and crayons. I let them make projects in their free time.
  • Music Appreciation: They listen to the "Hymn of the Month" and "Folk Song of the Month" every day. When I remember, we have a "Composer of the Month" as well. In addition, their father and older brother play guitar almost daily. Their is usually some music playing, ranging from extra hymns and folk songs to classical to Beatles to Guns N Roses to Marcos Witt (Spanish Contemporary Christian).

Nature Study: At the beginning of the year, this was scheduled twice a week (once to talk about a topic from The Handbook of Nature Study and make a notebook page about it, and once to go in the yard and see what they could find). At the moment, I just occasionally ask them to go in the yard and find something to draw for their nature notebook (they also put leaf and bark samples in, sometimes, covered with clear packing tape to preserve them). They also spontaneously find things to put in occasionally. I would like to be more consistent with this, but it hasn't been possible lately.

Not sure what ages you're talking about, but this is the plan for a rising 1st grader -

English - alternate with spelling

Spelling - alternate with grammar

Literature-classic and history readings -daily

Bible - daily

Writing - daily

History - alternate with science

Science - alternate with history

Art and Art Appreciation - once a week for each

Music and Music Appreciation - once a week for each

Foreign Language - daily speaking practice, book work two times a week

Nature Study - once or twice a week

Narration/Dictation/Copywork - included in daily writing, history or science

Here are my ideal answers, though in reality, we fall short.

DAILY

English*

Spelling

Narration/Dictation/Copywork*

Writing*

Foreign Language (Latin)

And I am adding to your categories: Math

* These three overlap a great deal, I wouldn't say we do them separately every day. They're all parts of one subject, in my mind.

WEEKLY

History

Science

Art and Art Appreciation

Nature Study

We haven't studied this at all yet, but I sincerely do hope to some day.

Bible

We don't do formal Bible study, though we are establishing prayer/meditation as a daily habit.

Edited by GretaLynne

Note: We usually do desk work only four days a week, except for math, which gets done on five days. On Wednesdays, my son gets a light day if he's on track with his assignments. He does a math lesson and then usually does a science or history project and/or watches an educational DVD. Sometimes, we use that day for field trips, too.

English - Daily, although the specifics vary. This year, my son does activities from his textbook (English Prep 2) two or three days a week, vocabulary lessons (Word Roots) two days a week, and composition (Classical Writing light) two or three.

Spelling - None, except for the brief exercises included in the text. We work on spelling in context when he's writing.

Literature-classic and history readings - Daily.

Bible - Not included in our curriculum except as literature.

Writing - See "English" above.

History - Daily. He reads history every day, does a lesson on the Child's History of the World CD-ROM once or twice a week and completes some kind of worksheet on Friday.

Science - Pretty much daily. He reads science most school days, usually does one project or experiment a week and frequently watches a science-realted DVD.

Art and Art Appreciation - Not doing this formally this year.

Music and Music Appreciation - Again, not formally at home this year. However, he sings with a choir that meets once a week (and an average of two other days each month) and takes organ lessons. He practices organ for at least a few minutes once or twice a day. And we attend concerts and musical events several times a year.

Foreign Language - Daily.

Nature Study - Not this year.

Narration/Dictation/Copywork - Not this year.

Edited by Jenny in Florida