Menu

Is there such a thing as a tasty, homemade, good-for-you, low-fat salad dressing?

I'm trying to do Eat to Live. My salads are so boring.

I just made honey dijon dressing for lunch today. I threw it all in so I don't know the amounts. Sorry.

I used a couple Tablespoons of honey and dijon, some lemon juice, a little mayo (you could probably omit), and a teaspoon of skim milk. I whisked it with a fork and voila!

Jo

If you like mustard, try this one. Sorry, no measurements.

A bit of Dijon mustard, probably 1/2 tsp.

Salt, freshly ground pepper, a good squeeze of lemon juice.

Mix it together with a whisk or fork. Add a bit of olive oil while whisking.

That's it! :)

You can add a bit of red wine vinegar too if you like.

My favorite salad dressing is plain old lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

It is good with

-tomato, cucumber, and celery salad

-Apple and fennel salad

-taboleh

-I even use it in place of mayonaise in tuna salad

Although, if you don't like sour things I am at a loss to help you there.

I'm not following it to the "T", but it inspired me to eat better.

Right now I most often use Paul Newman's Asian Sesame salad spray. It's one of the best low-cal ones I can find.

I have made one once (but can't remember the exact ingredients! came from a library book....) that was good. Did it in the Vitamix with lemon juice, chopped sundried tomatoes, garlic, water, and something else - can't remember! Maybe it was some fresh tomato? or capers? Hmm...Yes that might have been it!

Salad always needs something a little acidic (lemon or balsamic, etc.). I have blended several things in the Vitamix recently and thought "hmm, this would make a decent dressing!" - any blended veggie might make a nice sauce!

When doing EtL really well, my favorite was fresh salsa and homemade guacamole (just mash up fresh avocado). It made a big salad with greens and black beans seem like a great meal! And yes, it's not technically "low fat", but half an avocado fits in with EtL just fine. :)

There is a great one in Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook called Creamy Vinagrette. I don't know if copyright would allow me to post the amounts, but the ingredients are plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar, olive oil (small amt.) , Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt or soy sauce, and dill weed. It is SO good.

If you use rice vinegar you can use a higher ratio of vinegar to olive oil due to the low acidity of the rice vinegar, and therefore reduce the olive oil*.

And if you throw in a little light colored miso, and maybe a couple dashes of toasted sesame oil, you'll have a wonderful Japanese style dressing.

Bill

I do 1 part good balsamic to 2 parts olive oil, then add a couple of teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper, a 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake and about a tablespoon of fresh minced garlic. Or you could do a honey lime dressing which is super good. 1 part fresh lime juice, 1 part honey, 2 parts veg. oil. and a pinch of salt. We enjoy both of these.:)