Menu

USA Swimming

We went today to get the kids evaluated for the local swim team. The coach said that he thought they had a lot of potential, but on this team they can only swim if their enrolled in public school once they're middle school age. So, everyone can swim until they reach middle school, then they can't swim unless they're enrolled in the middle school. In Georgia the homeschoolers could swim through high school, they just couldn't swim for a school team. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light/hope on the subject for me. We really would like to keep swimming competitively through high school if possible, but I'm not willing to enroll them in ps to do that!

It would help if you said were you were, maybe I missed it but it sounds like you are not in GA anymore??

I have NEVER heard of private, US Swim team that discriminated against homeschoolers like that. There are people who hs just to swim and teams that offer hs practices earlier in the day just to get more people in the pool.

And what if they are not in a PS but are in a private school?

Edited to add... Oh I just thought of something! I have ~heard~ that some teams have their Seniors (older swimmers) swim only with their respective high school teams during the high school season. (Around here this would indicate a less competitive team.)

Maybe that is the case here? I would ask, asap. And if this was the case then I would just look for another team. One reason we chose swimming was to have a sport that did not require going to a school to do it!

Weird!

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
addded stuff

Talk to a local attorney. We have some community ball leagues beginning to restrict access to anyone unless they are in the local public school. This gets sticky if you live in that town/city and they reject you. These are not public school events, facilities or activities.

Sometimes local leaders opinions surface in policy & it is not really legal. It would not hurt to ask someone who is familiar with the laws and requirements for community access. Lawyers love discrimination suits, but you hope that isn't the result.

Could he be talking about the fact that they can't swim for the swim team AND their high school team simultaneously??

Did he say it was a rule from USA Swimming? You might want to call them. (Phone: 719.866.4578 Fax: 719.866.4669)

Our club has homeschooled and privately schooled middle and high schoolers. Ds is a homeschooled middle schooler. Olympic swimmer Katie Hoff was homeschooled. (At least partially)

This may be a club rule, not a US Swimming rule, though I've never heard of a club that dictates the children must attend PUBLIC school. :confused: I'd ask for clarification.

Here's a link to the USA Swimming club portals, where you can try to search for another area club near you.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=503&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en

We're in Indiana now. My oldest is in 5th grade, so we have at least a year until we need to worry about it. Maybe we'll find another team by then. The coach spoke to my husband instead of me, so I need to talk with him myself about it before I stress out too much. I just thought I'd check in with the pros here before going to him with any information.

It would help if you said were you were, maybe I missed it but it sounds like you are not in GA anymore??

I have NEVER heard of private, US Swim team that discriminated against homeschoolers like that. There are people who hs just to swim and teams that offer hs practices earlier in the day just to get more people in the pool.

And what if they are not in a PS but are in a private school?

Edited to add... Oh I just thought of something! I have ~heard~ that some teams have their Seniors (older swimmers) swim only with their respective high school teams during the high school season. (Around here this would indicate a less competitive team.)

Maybe that is the case here? I would ask, asap. And if this was the case then I would just look for another team. One reason we chose swimming was to have a sport that did not require going to a school to do it!

Weird!

Georgia

and once the swimmers on our team get to a certain competitive level, the coaches strongly encourage homeschooling! it makes it much easier for the swimmers to devote the hours necessary to advance to the upper ranks. it can't be a usa swimming rule or it would be standard across the US... must just be that club. none of the clubs around here have a rule like that

We have a few homeschooling on our team. Middle school and high school. In fact I don't think I have every heard of them asking where kids attend school.

I wonder if the team gets funding from the middle school? In our area, you can join any public school activity in your district or boundary exception in if you need to. You may be able to join the team, under the public school umbrella.

Definitely NOT a USA Swimming rule.

I've never heard of a USA Swimming team being subsidized by the local schools, but there is a private school in NE that fields a USA Swimming team, so I suppose it's possible.

If it were subsidized by the local schools, wouldn't the rule be effective for all grades?

USA Swimming teams can have other requirements. There are YMCA teams in USA Swimming that require the swimmers to belong to the Y, and Boys and Girls Club teams that require swimmers to belong to the BGC.

I've never heard of a rule like that.

I think if my son is still swimming in high school, that will increase the likelihood that I will be homeschooling. Swimming is a very demanding sport in terms of time and energy, and I can't really see having a kid in school all day and then at the pool for hours.

We went today to get the kids evaluated for the local swim team. The coach said that he thought they had a lot of potential, but on this team they can only swim if their enrolled in public school once they're middle school age. So, everyone can swim until they reach middle school, then they can't swim unless they're enrolled in the middle school. In Georgia the homeschoolers could swim through high school, they just couldn't swim for a school team. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light/hope on the subject for me. We really would like to keep swimming competitively through high school if possible, but I'm not willing to enroll them in ps to do that!

In our community, there is a very active USA Swimming club. Anyone can swim with the club, regardless of how they're educated. However, the Middle school and High School coaches use the club as a "feeder" for their school teams. If you want to swim for the school team during their season, then you must either 1) enroll in at least 1 class at the public school (because that's the school you'd be swimming for), or 2) join their athletic association which includes a small fee and extra paperwork. It's not a big deal.

In our community, you can just continue to swim for the club, and never swim for the school teams, or you can do both.

For us, it was no big deal because I had already enrolled dd for 2 classes at the local Jr. High. It is an arrangement that works for us on many levels. But I realize it's not for everyone.

Each school district is different. And I think that what you're dealing with is a requirement of the school district. My experience is that many school employees aren't used to working with homeschoolers. They're used to people just turning over their children to them and following their rules. People always tell me that nobody asks the questions I ask. Questions like "what are you using for curriculum?', or "Now, what exactly is the regulation, and whose regulation is that?"

If you ask very pointed questions, I think you'll at least be comfortable with what you're facing.

Good luck. I think that swimming is a great sport that is also a lifetime sport. It doesn't hurt a transcript, either. ;)