Menu

Do any of you have experience with family-integrated churches?

try hofcc.org That is my church. It is family integrated and a model for many. Also try googling uniting church and family. I think that was the title of a book I read and they I think link to all family integrated churches in the US at least. (Someone does, I think it is this organization but I am not 100% sure) HTH.

http://www.gracefamilybaptist.net/GFBC_/FAQ.html

Voddie Baucham's church website answers many questions as does his book, Family Driven Faith.

Mr. Baucham's church also has an Alliance that helps people seeking to start their own FIC churches.

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Ship-Dustin-Guidry/dp/1607912635

Turning the Ship is a new book written by a pastor who has turned his church into a FIC. I haven't read it, but it's on my wish list.

We house church because we could not find a local FIC. Many pastors in our area have been approached by families seeking a FIC, but have reacted very negatively to the idea. The fellowship we are part of has been together four years, and yes, is family integrated~which means we do not segregate by age for any part of church.

It has been wonderful for our family, and contrary to what many people told us (who dislike FIC'S) our dc do NOT hate it or complain they need a youth group to learn how to worship :D

In fact, they look forward to church more than I do :blush:

Uniting Church and Home is a book and website that is really helpful.

Our church is mostly family integrated. We have three classes: Family Sunday School (designed for K4-8th grade, with parents), youth class (taught by associate pastor--theology, not entertainment-driven), and the older adult class. However, the atmosphere is non-judgmental, and our family would be welcome in any of the three classes. They also have an optional nursery for birth to age three, but above age three they expect children to be in the service. No one looks at you funny if you use the nursery, and no one looks at you funny if you don't use the nursery.

I love the healthy atmosphere. This church seems a lot more healthy than other churches that proclaimed themselves 100% family integrated. Older ladies reach for and fight over babies. Some of my children's favorite people are the elders. Elder men are teaching children. It's fabulous.

If I was looking for a FIC, I would probably visit this church:

http://www.holytrinityopc.org/home

Unless I totally have you confused with another poster, I don't think there are any FIC churches in your area. But the one above might come close. I know one of the founding families and they have always had their children with them for worship and classes.

Pros and Cons of the Family Integrated Church Model - Written by a woman who has been part of two FICs. In short, she likes the concept, but has serious issues with some of the ways it is commonly implemented.

This is important to read, to understand some of the culture surrounding this idea. I'm sympathetic to the idea, but not to much of that culture.

This is important to read, to understand some of the culture surrounding this idea. I'm sympathetic to the idea, but not to much of that culture.

That was a looong read last night, and I can really empathize with what the author experienced. When done "right" (or "right" according to what I'd like to see from the FIC model), the FIC church can be a very freeing experience. It sounds like the authors went to at least one church that seemed (through her written experience) to be what I've wanted sooo badly. But, unfortunately, most of the "cons" are what I have experienced, and at least 3 of the churches my brother's family have been members of, fit the "con" model...

My biggest gripe about most of the "traditional" churches isn't usually doctrine, or even age-segregation for the younger kiddos -- it's more the age segregation of the ADULTS. I just want the church structure to be a bit more flexible.... but I digress.

Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, etc. all tend to expect that children will worship with adults all in the same service. I would not have it any other way!

But even the Lutherans, if they are in big congregations, tend to have affinity groups separate from worship that tend to segregate the adults into little groups. That can be good and bad. For me, it was one of the factors that drove me to look for and find a medium sized church when I was pregnant with my DD. I wanted her to grow up in a church where she would know and naturally interact with adults of different ages as well as children, and also where, as an older first time mother, and also to avoid feeling like I didn't fit into any of the set groups like young mothers or empty nesters. I was almost old enough to be an empty nester myself, but not in that phase of life. Medium sized churches don't have enough people to make those category groups stick and so everyone becomes friends.

Tiny churches tend to be on the edge all the time, and it can be very difficult to do 'enough' volunteer work to keep things going without completely burning out. I like medium ones.