Menu

How do you get rid of kitchen moths?

We had some enter the house via a bag of bird seed, and now they seem to be permanent houseguests!:glare: We've tried all we know to do....moth traps, scrubbing and repainting the pantry (where they have decided to moved in), and natural bug sprays and we still have to swat them everywhere! My husband wants to bug-bomb the whole house, but I am very reluctant because we have a 5 month old.

Any ideas? I am plumb out!

Take everything out of your cupboard. Scrub cupboard. Examine everything and dispose of all opened packages, etc. Store things in the freezer to kill them. Reduce the amount of stuff in your cupboard that they can get into (cans obviously are not a problem, but keep as much as you can of everything else in the frig or freezer, if possible) and try to starve them out. These things are a pain; I feel for you. I have some random LARGE ants prowling around my kitchen -- no idea where they're even coming from.

I wish bay leaves worked for us. I had a large bag of bay leaves in my cupboard and I still had an infestation.

We had the same result using cedar shavings...but the cabinets smelled really nice.

Pantry moth traps, cleaning hard and often, and freezing the little buggers out are the effective means for us.

Take everything out of your cupboard. Scrub cupboard. Examine everything and dispose of all opened packages, etc. Store things in the freezer to kill them. Reduce the amount of stuff in your cupboard that they can get into (cans obviously are not a problem, but keep as much as you can of everything else in the frig or freezer, if possible) and try to starve them out. These things are a pain; I feel for you. I have some random LARGE ants prowling around my kitchen -- no idea where they're even coming from.

This is the only thing that worked here. They seemed to be mostly confined to one cupboard, so I got rid of everything in the cupboard except the cans. Then we scrubbed it (repeatedly) and left it empty. We kepta all the bread in the freezer. It took months, but we finally got rid of them.

We vacuum everything and hang mothballs (use stick pin and wrap ball in kleenex) on the sides of the cabinet doors. They hate the smell or something.

Also, I make my own spray cleaners using 9l% alcohol and distilled water. I actually 'shoot' them out of the air when I see them flying around. Kills them dead. Just don't do that near food or an open flame. :)

Kathy

When you are cleaning the pantry/cupboard be sure to clean EVERYTHING. I was amazed to find the nasty bugs up under the cans and on one can they were inside the wrapper. I froze everything that I could, washed all the cans & containers with bleach & water. These nasty bugs came in in a bag of rice! I now freeze the rice as soon as we bring it home.