Menu

any suggestions for reading instruction?

We haven't had DD6 tested yet but I suspect she has Aspergers or some other form of high-functioning autism. We have arranged to get her tested this spring. I have been struggling with teaching her to read and think that perhaps it is the program I am using (?), which is 100 EZ Lessons (my oldest dd flew through it and hasn't looked back since!) She seems to be a kinestetic learner but perhaps she is visual - I really don't know though. She gets very frustrated with the phonics instruction and has to repeat the sounding out of simple words, even when they are repeated in the same sentence. For longer or multi-syllable words, she usually forgets what she has sounded out at the beginning of the word by the time she gets to the end of the word! She knows her alphabet and pretty much knows the sounds that each letter makes but making it click with reading actual words isn't happening. Can someone suggest a program that has worked for them? Thanks so much!!

I would suggest working with two sound combinations, first. I tried several programs with my dd6 with little success until I took the instruction incrementally. You can use a wipe board or make up pages something like this:

a n an an an

s e se se se

when she seems comfortable with this, move on to pages with just two sound combinations:

an se mi na ec

ti es ga po

When these go well, then try three sound words:

a n t an t ant

m e ss me ss mess

These pages will train her left right tracking so when you go on she will be set with the basics. I don't know of any program moves this slowly (Phonics Pathways introduces two sound combinations, but doesn't give much practice), but for some kids its essential. If you'd like, I can send you an alphabetic word list. Once she is comfortable reading 3-sound words with the alphabet, you can try a couple of different programs, such as Phonics Pathways, Abecedarian, or I See Sam books.

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(10) dd(6) ds(5) ds(1)

For some of my remedial students, markings are helpful, for others, they are distracting and unhelpful.

I'd try a program with no markings.

You might want to try Webster's Speller, it starts with 2 letter blends (syllables!) that directly transfer to later multi-syllable words.

I would also try working on words in isolation and overlearning before moving on to sentences. You could also try adding in some spelling of the same words that she's learning to sound out--that really helped cement the sounds in my daughter's brain.

Here's a game you could try to help the over-learning: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

You are going to need something visual. I think Alphaphonics is confusing with its markings. While most children can learn these and move on, the super visual Aspie gets hung up on the markings and forgets the letters he is sounding out.

We use phonics pathways and I combine it with phonics cards from Dianne Craft.org. to make it more visual for him. He combines the cards to make the word. We also use a whiteboard. I additionally use magnetic letters.

Anything to make it visually remberable and tactile helps. I suspect that SSWR does the same thing. You may still need to add some visual aspects. Aspie children are very visual and learn through pictures.

You may want to go to Diannecraft.org and read up about Phonics instruction on her site. She is very informative about special needs. I may have spelled her name wrong. I'm not sure if there is one "n" or two.

Good luck.

I have an Aspie who will be six years old next month. She is also struggling to learn to read fluently. Her older sisters were reading chapter books by this age. I have chosen All About Spelling for her. We just started yesterday so I can't tell you if we like it or not, but I think it's going to work well for her. It's very incremental, starting with letter sounds. The idea is that she will learn to read as she is learning to spell. The first level is very gentle. The program uses magnetic letter tiles, so it's got the "hands-on" appeal, which is what my daughter needs to help keep her engaged.

http://www.all-about-spelling.com/

Good luck!

I will try some of these suggestions and see how it goes. She is a very tactile learner and, since I "labeled" her as such, didn't consider that she is probably a visual learner too and that the weird text in 100 Easy Lessons could be distracting. Thanks again!

We haven't had DD6 tested yet but I suspect she has Aspergers or some other form of high-functioning autism. We have arranged to get her tested this spring. I have been struggling with teaching her to read and think that perhaps it is the program I am using (?), which is 100 EZ Lessons (my oldest dd flew through it and hasn't looked back since!) She seems to be a kinestetic learner but perhaps she is visual - I really don't know though. She gets very frustrated with the phonics instruction and has to repeat the sounding out of simple words, even when they are repeated in the same sentence.

Is there any history of reading struggles on either side of your family? If so, consider a vision evaluation by a developmental optometrist. Ironically, many of those kids who are considered "visual learners" (because they don't respond well to phonics instruction) are actually so confused visually that they can't understand the phonics instruction. Well, actually they understand it, but they can't make visual sense of it. This is why they're always decoding the same word over and over again even though they just "saw" it 3 or 4 times on the same page. The point is that they didn't really "see" it because their visual systems are functioning poorly. I see these kids a lot and most of them will fail a developmental vision exam administered at a vision therapy center. You need to see a developmental optometrist to ensure that the proper testing is done. Your family optometrist is unlikely to pick up on it unless the problem is very obvious.

There's a lot more on this on my website including links to find any developmental optometrists in your area and suggestions on questions to ask when you locate one. If there is a vision problem present and you are able to address it, probably with vision therapy, you will then likely find that most phonics curricula will make sense to your daughter.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading-The Vision Piece of the Dyslexia Puzzle

I've use funnix (http://www.funnix.com) to teach both of my kids to read. My son has lds and my daughter does not and it worked really well for both. This program was originally recommended to me because of my son's issues. The program is on a cd-rom and you sit with your child and do each lesson. There is also a workbook page to do. It is a very thorough program.

Lisa

I have been out of town so coming in late but this is what I use:

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html Check out the link to the UK site for even more great ideas.

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm Here are free downloads of the first 52 books.

http://www.sitespace.org.uk/ this site is under construction but has great information about the I See Sam books.

These are the ONLY books that got my girls with special needs reading. I have posted a great deal about them.

It's interesting that you write about this (vision problems) because I just found out she has terrible vision! I am hoping that is a BIG piece but she still has some other behaviors that make me suspect there is more going on. This is going to be my first step, though. Thanks for the post!

Right now I can't say enough good about vision therapy. In only 3 weeks we have seen a HUGE difference in our son. While not an aspie, we can immediately see improvements in his behavior, his reading, his handwriting, and more. For more information about vision therapy and how to locate a developmental optometrist go to www.covd.org .