Menu

Fashion on Friday night

This post is part moral dilemma, part fashion dilemma. Do any of you spend kind of a lot of money on clothes?

Since I have been a SAHM (6 years now) I basically go to Kohl's or Target once or twice a year and get a few shorts or yoga pants to wear all the time. Then when I need to go to something nice a few times a year I buy something a little nicer on sale at Macy's or TJ Maxx. We have a little tiny bit more money now, and I am tired of looking sloppy, but I think it is SO HARD to find comfy classy nice stuff.

All this to say, I went to J Crew the other day and I could have bought the WHOLE store. The pants were not too low wasted, the colors were classy, not too old, not too young. BUT...you knew this was coming. An outfit is $150-$200 dollars and I could use 3 or 4 of them.

Do any of you buy several of those a year? How much money would you have to have as a household income to justify it? Talk me through this. Please know that I am generally very frugal. I only buy chicken breasts on sale and I still wear the same two sports bras I have had for ten years.

Do you have a household budget? Because if you sit down and allocate a certain amount for various categories, then you can know what you have to work with for the entire year and then decide if you want 3 J. Crew outfits or not. And the best part is that if the money is budgeted, then you need not feel guilty when you spend it!

Being frugal doesn't mean giving up quality.

I feel your pain - it is VERY hard to find clothes that are high quality, do not try to mimic fads of teenagers, and fit correctly that are not expensive.

I say, if you have the money, go ahead and buy a few of these outfits. It sounds like these are not something you are going to be wearing a great deal of time, so will last you a while. Plus, if they are separates that you can mix up (ie., 1 blouse will work with 2 or 3 different pairs of pants or skirts), you will get a lot of mileage out of them.

Being frugal is a very good thing. Something I have been working hard at being better at. However, what is the point in having money if you are not able to get something you really want once in a while? And, your kids will notice what you wear as well. As they get older, they will realize that dressed down is good in certain places and occasions, but at times it is good to be a little better dressed.

I have worked from home for MOST of the past 5 years. So, my kids are used to seeing me in jeans all the time and tshirts, or sweat pants and shorts. I have been making more of an effort to wear my casual business attire from my last two jobs once in a while because I have noticed that a couple of the kids have become real slackers in that area as well. So now instead of just telling them "hey, wearing that faded tshirt to dinner with friends tonight isn't really classy" I am showing them as well.

I say, if your budget can handle it, go for it.

It doesn't sound like it's a matter of *having* the $--it's a matter of *justifying* it.

I can't speak to that, though. The older I get, the more I'm willing to spend on things, for the sake of quality, ethics, etc., but I still have trouble w/ the very question you're asking.

I'm obviously not in a place to afford *or* justify it, & I've noticed that when I do spend too much on things, I can tell by the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Iow, given your lifestyle, how likely is the purchase to be damaged or destroyed, & if it was, how much would that hurt?

For ex, dh & I tried to go to a nicer restaurant for our anniversary one yr. We had a pretty new baby who cried the whole time until finally I had to take her out. *I* cried the whole way home because, more than a disappointing night, the $ we wasted was $ I was sad to lose. I mean, no more than $30, you know, but...we were making little enough at the time that we *felt* it, kwim? Or maybe it was the hormones, lol.

Do I normally? No. I *COULD* easily spend a few hundred a year on clothes for myself. This last year, I think I spent more than normal just because I NEEDED clothes that fit.

I really LOVE Ann Taylor and Talbots - their clothes fit me like a glove! And the cuts are more classics, so they are not 'out of style' in one season.

What have I done? Bought a couple pieces from the above, and shopped also at Marshalls/TJMaxx. I think in the spring I spent maybe $300 max (a lot for me!)on spring/summer clothes for myself, but that was a couple great shirts from Ann Taylor (Loft maybe, don't remember), and a couple t's and shorts at Marshalls, oh, and I found a couple great tanks on sale at Penny's (2 for $20?). Lasted me the whole season, and I plan to wear them all again this year. I know I will need a couple more tops, as I think I wore out a couple of the more simple t's from last year. Knowing there were a few things I needed, I kept my eyes open for the sale fliers, and looked for things that would work with what I had. I don't go shopping regularly, so this took some effort.

I've also had great luck at certain consignment/resale shops. Check around to see if there is a designer one in your area. I bought a pair of RL jeans for $20 the other week at my local one. (Lovely!) And today I bought a pair of pants I admired a couple weeks ago, and today they were half price ($10 for Express).

Income? Well... it's been a bit crazy to say... I think income was over $4000 most of those months.

I've realized that I don't need a large wardrobe, just basics that I can mix and match a lot. (I don't leave my house EVERY day, and I need some clothes to get grubby in the dirt!) :D

I appreciate these thoughts. It is more "justifying" it and I don't want that pit of guilt in my stomach. but I can't decide whether once I have them I will actually feel great!

As to whether I would be wearing them all the time, I guess I would like to start dressing better ALL of the time, but not sure exactly what that would look like. I suppose these particular outfits would be for company and church and small group.

We don't have a budget but we don't spend more than we have. We save all our extra for retirement because DH does not get retirement through work so more can always go to that.

I just *hate* that I have to go to a wedding in May, that I have nothing suitable for a dressy affair that time of year, that I really have to buy something, that is can't be cheap looking or I will embarrass my mother, and that I can't find anything nice for under a couple hundred. I hate it. Hate. Hate. I could really buy some nice casual clothes with that money!

It definitely can take work!

Up until about 6 months ago, I could find decent biz casual clothes at Wal-Mart that was pretty decent - at least for the tops. (It seems that they only had anything decent for about 2 years). However, I am a big girl, so it is very hard to find anything decent anywhere - even LAME Bryant - which seems to try to fit fashions that look great on someone size 14 and below even on size 22/24 woman. I was able to find some really nice shirts there about a year ago that were on sale that were under $30, but it is very rare.

(I will admit - I bought the MOST comfortable pair of Veniza jeans there about 2 years ago. That brand is very good quality - and I have a few of their non jean pants as well.)

I found a Talbot's plus size store in a mall near here a few years ago - but they closed it down a month later. Ack.

As far as "justifying" it: if you can afford it, and you need it, why isn't it justified? It's not like you are going out and buying 10 pairs of stilettos that you are never going to wear, right?

I just *hate* that I have to go to a wedding in May, that I have nothing suitable for a dressy affair that time of year, that I really have to buy something, that is can't be cheap looking or I will embarrass my mother, and that I can't find anything nice for under a couple hundred. I hate it. Hate. Hate. I could really buy some nice casual clothes with that money!

I think for dresses, Marshalls and TJ Maxx have nice stuff. Or check the sale rack. I have to wear dresses to DH's work stuff and I never spend over $80 and sometimes much less. If you lived close I would leend you something!

There are some very nice clothes at consignment shops these days. Goodwill has nice stuff sometimes but I always see beautiful clothes in the higher end consignment stores. I would look there; you never know when you'll find just what you're looking for. :)

I encourage you to keep looking at sales at all those above mentioned stores. I have bought my daughter several (because I bought ahead!) *nice* winter coats for under $5 at Macy's. I have also found very stylish, very comfortable, very cheap shirts there for about the same price. There are certain days on their end-of-season sales, at my local store anyway, when they take 50% clearance in the mornings. I recently went to the outlet mall and got a big pile of $2 pants for my kids. So you can have a scandalously small clothing budget and get all manner of great finds, if you get a feel for a store and shop the big sales. Or save up and buy one (or more) of those expensive outfits, and nothing else for the year. You decide.

But you should be able to easily find decently priced bras at those stores. Shell out $10. It's time. I'm more worried about that than your pants! :)

There are some very nice clothes at consignment shops these days. Goodwill has nice stuff sometimes but I always see beautiful clothes in the higher end consignment stores. I would look there; you never know when you'll find just what you're looking for. :)

I was going to suggest consignment stores too. Shopping at Goodwill really bothers me. At the two stores closest to me their prices are too high and the quality is terrible. Clothes I would throw out. My favorite pair of jeans ever (I'm wearing them right now actually) are Old Navy brand and I bought them at a garage sale for 50 cents. They looked brand new when I bought them. I have a hard time spending money on clothes too!

ETA: Dh on the other hand will spend money for quality. I bought two swimming suits two summers ago and it cost over $200!! I would never have done it but dh insisted. I have a hard time finding good fitting suits because most suits are not made for someone of my proportions. :) They held up well at least!

Edited by Cricket

I am generally very frugal, but if I could find comfortable clothes that look good and fit well, I would buy them. It is so hard. I haven't bought clothes in a long time. I don't want to waste the time looking and trying things on. It always turns into an extremely frustrating experience. You will feel better wearing them too.

Guest janainaz

I don't spend that much money on clothes and always look for sales. I have always had to think about money and have never had the opportunity to just buy what I *want*. I've always found good stuff for good prices.

However, I think it's ok if you find staple items that you might have for a LONG time and spend more on them. I'm not so sure about spending $150/$200 on AN outfit. To me, that is way too much. But, that is just me. I would have to have some major special occasion to buy something that expensive. I'd say you're paying for the label at that point and not necesarrily paying for quality. It's just your own personal conviction. I think I'd rather have a lot of stuff for the same amount of money!:)

I appreciate these thoughts. It is more "justifying" it and I don't want that pit of guilt in my stomach. but I can't decide whether once I have them I will actually feel great!

As to whether I would be wearing them all the time, I guess I would like to start dressing better ALL of the time, but not sure exactly what that would look like. I suppose these particular outfits would be for company and church and small group.

We don't have a budget but we don't spend more than we have. We save all our extra for retirement because DH does not get retirement through work so more can always go to that.

What if you buy one & see how it/you does/do? If it turns out it's worth it, you can slowly build up your wardrobe/ask for giftcards/etc.

I absolutely hate shopping. I hate parking, I hate looking, I hate standing in line, I hate trying clothes on (in my head, as I write this, I hear my husband calling me "Hateful Smurf" lol).

So I want to go in a store and KNOW they will have something. I went to Marshall's and their dresses were awful - either not formal enough for an evening wedding, or too prom looking. I just hate investing time in looking.

I would be happy to shop at Goodwill if I could know they have a good selection, but ever time I go into a consignment store or Goodwill, I find myself overwhelmed by the volume, and I never see anything I want.

Thrift stores are usually filled with good dressy skirts and dresses.

It's hit or miss with other stuff for me, but I've always had good luck with larger thrift stores for nice dresses.

Edit: you could also try e-bay. I became allergic to polyester last summer, and could not find any formal dress in the area for less than $500 that was non polyester. I found a really nice rayon one on e-bay, new, for $30 or $40 plus I think $12 shipping.

2nd Edit: Do you have any military friends about your size? They generally have to attend formal type events occasionally, that's why I have some. If you do, I'm sure they would be happy to loan you some. They could also look at a base thrift store for you, there are always formal dresses for sale at base thrift shops.

Edited by ElizabethB

The next time that you are in Chicago visiting your sister, go to the Water Tower and visit the Lucy store (check out lucy.com ahead of time). Great "mom clothes" without looking frumpy. And make a beeline to the back of the store for the sale racks. I usually score really well there -- I never pay retail. I have a closet full of this stuff and love it!

hth!

I absolutely hate shopping. I hate parking, I hate looking, I hate standing in line, I hate trying clothes on (in my head, as I write this, I hear my husband calling me "Hateful Smurf" lol).

So I want to go in a store and KNOW they will have something. I went to Marshall's and their dresses were awful - either not formal enough for an evening wedding, or too prom looking. I just hate investing time in looking.

I would be happy to shop at Goodwill if I could know they have a good selection, but ever time I go into a consignment store or Goodwill, I find myself overwhelmed by the volume, and I never see anything I want.

2 thoughts on this....no wait, 3.

1) "Hateful Smurf" :lol: That's a good one!

2) What time in May is the wedding? If it's late May, you will probably find plenty of choices at consignment/thrift stores, since most of the "Spring Formal" dances will have been held by then, and folks will be looking to get rid of dresses.

3) What about a "little black dress" and a bright colorful scarf, or colorful jewelry? That's something that you would probably get plenty of wear out of, so you wouldn't feel so badly about spending $$ on it.

-Robin