Menu

Who has bought & used a home laminator?

We bought ours at Sam's club for around $70.00 and get the refill packs there as well a pack of 200 sheets are around $20.00. We use it ALL the time, for everything from homemade flashcards to VP cards to special art projects, to lapbook pcitures, you name it. We LOVE ours and I will keep ours going BUT I would try and decide if these are things that you use, need, or already make to keep or share and then decide.

Good luck.

I bought a fellowes one from wal-mart for $50 refills are $15 and I use it all the time. I make a lot of homemade games and activities for the kids so the laminator is awesome for protecting all the peices. I was already doing "laminating" with clear mac tac or packing tape, so I knew I would use a laminator. If you only occasionally take items somewhere to be laminated or rarely use mactac etc as a protector,then you will likely find it to be a waste of space and money.

Mine is a cold laminator, sort of like pressing two sheets of clear Contact paper together. It produces a protective cover over paper that is less stiff than a hot laminator. Whether that's a plus or a minus is for you to say.

I don't use mine a lot, but it was good for early elementary use in making game pieces, and the RightStart card games and protecting our large collection of Dover Publishing paper dolls. Now I mainly use it to laminate bookmarks from bookstores -- I collect them. My last use was for covering emergency information tags to put in the cars' glove compartments. I chose it because it was much cheaper than a hot laminator and safer to have with little children around.

I haven't bought a single refill yet. I have no idea what they cost!

Mine is a cold laminator, sort of like pressing two sheets of clear Contact paper together. It produces a protective cover over paper that is less stiff than a hot laminator. Whether that's a plus or a minus is for you to say.

I don't use mine a lot, but it was good for early elementary use in making game pieces, and the RightStart card games and protecting our large collection of Dover Publishing paper dolls. Now I mainly use it to laminate bookmarks from bookstores -- I collect them. My last use was for covering emergency information tags to put in the cars' glove compartments. I chose it because it was much cheaper than a hot laminator and safer to have with little children around.

I haven't bought a single refill yet. I have no idea what they cost!

I had a Xyron cold laminator and hated it because the refills were so expensive. I sold it, the heated laminator is SO much cheaper to use, plus it was cheaper to start with.

We have the Duck laminator from Wal-mart and usually, because I procrastinate and need them right now, end up buying the laminating sheets there also. I have seen places on-line that sell them in large packs for much cheaper. I also have a Xyron cold laminator that I use for stuff that would be ruined by heat or that I want to laminate in odd sizes because it uses a continuous roll instead of pouches. It is a pain and expensive to replace the cartridges. The hot laminator was cheap, and we have used it regulary for about 5 years and it is still working fine.

I have a $20 one from Aldi (no-name brand), and I love it. We don't use it a ton, but I know the amount we use it will increase as the kids age. It came with a good-sized pack of pouches, and we still haven't used them all. I think it was a good deal, and I still it see it come up in their flier from time to time. I would buy the one you're considering, especially if it's cheap. I've never seen one less than $20.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Scotch one from Target yesterday for $27 and a box of 50 refills for $15 (alas, I don't have a Sam's Club membership - I want the box of 200 for $20!). I used it for over an hour, laminating LOTS of cards and labels for our workbox system. It went without a hitch, and was surprisingly speedy!

I think it was worth the cost, compared to what I would have paid to laminate all the stuff I had to do - and now I have it for future use! I can see all kinds of uses for it - homemade games, bookmarks, mats, labels - I'm thrilled to have it!

• 5 months later...