Menu

What to do about immunizations for my 6yo ds, being cautious?

Hi! I'm in a dither about what to do about immunizations. I do believe in immunizing my children. All of them have had their normal shots, at the perscribed times, except for my youngest two. (The more I read, the more I worried.) I've spaced those out a bit. Well, ds is going to go to public school (probably) in the fall, and will need his shots for registration. If I'm going to be as cautious as possible, and still get the shots, what would you recommend? He is already older than normal (is 6.5 years now). Is there anything to worry about about at this older age? Is all the worry over the infant shots? Thanks so much.

so that s/he can space them out over as long a period of time as possible.

I'm inclined to err on the safe of caution with vacs as well. If i were in your situation, my primary concern would be multiple vacs within a very short period of time in order to get them all in before the beginning of the school year.

I chose not to continue vaxing my kids (personal choice, no flames please) so when I enrolled my son they asked about him being late for his boosters and I told them we were no longer vaxing. They handed me a form to fill out and mail to the state and that was that. It was much easier than I expected it to be, whew! If I were you I'd just fill out the exemption form this year and continue your vax schedule as you planned.

Years ago, I began insisting to the dr/nurse to be present while needle was being prepared. (They used to like preparing it in the back room, etc; not sure how they do things nowadays.) I wanted to make sure it was NEW and sterile. They didn't much like this, but.... After hearing of the foolish practice of more than one nurse (this was years ago) reusing needles for unsuspecting patients, this became my choice.

Re: vaccinations if you're going to do them, I agree w/the first couple posters - space them out at your pace. You can be on your own timetable.

Check your library for a book by Stephanie Cave, something like What your doctor won't tell you about vaccinations or something similar. She makes suggestions regarding nutitional supplements to take to help the body best process the shots. Daily Vit. C and cod liver oil beforehand and afterward are all I remember, but there may be others. Oh, and it's best not to give tylenol, as the acetaminophen (sp?) depletes the body's glutathione, which is needed to detoxify the weird stuff in the vaccines. It's better to give ibuprofen for pain relief, if needed.

And do some research. If they only have to be done before school, you've got 5 months.

My 5 year old was a bit behind and was missing 4 shots. Out of those, there are 2 that I found that should NOT be done together. It was either Varicella or Polio (since those were the two we waited on) that conflicted with either MMR or DTP (since we got those 2.) What's funny, is that they wanted to do them together. Once I told them I was waiting, they told me to wait at least 6 weeks.:confused:

Vaccines are given more credit than the deserve. Many diseases have slowed due to better hygiene, better nutrition and better living conditions. A strong, clean body is much more resistant to "invaders" than a weak, exhausted, dirty one.

Another book to read.....

VACCINE ALTERNATIVES

How to Prevent & Treat Illness Using Natural Remedies

by Dr. Ervin Davis

Many vaccinations have more to do with kids being in large, crowded schools where they can share everything. But some vaccinations are really just for convenience. Some diseases provide better immunity than the shot & there is concern of epidemics in many of us as we get older.

Lots to ponder!

I would read "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears (the famed pediatrician's son). It was an excellent read and it helped me decide which ones to give to my 2yo, which ones to wait on, and which ones to skip altogether. He's on the autism spectrum, so I'm being extra careful.

I second the vaccine book by Dr Sears. It is neither pro-vaccine or against vaccines. It states the facts. I really like it and it is my go-to guide when my kids approach another round of vaccines. I used to fully vaccinate, but stopped when my youngest turned 18 months. So she does not have her 18 month shots, nor her two year shots. My four year old does not have her four year old shots either. I may still give a few of those shots, but not right now.

Years ago, I began insisting to the dr/nurse to be present while needle was being prepared. (They used to like preparing it in the back room, etc; not sure how they do things nowadays.) I wanted to make sure it was NEW and sterile. They didn't much like this, but.... After hearing of the foolish practice of more than one nurse (this was years ago) reusing needles for unsuspecting patients, this became my choice.

Thank you for saying this -- this always bothered me so I appreciate the encouragement to rethink tolerating this. I will definitely do this from now on.

Not all states have exemptions. In MS, there are exemptions only if you have medical reasons not to get the vaccine. For example, you have had previous reactions to vaccines. If you don't vaccinate, you must homeschool. It is even mandatory for university. If you go to college here, you must vaccinate. Sad but true.

You may want to consider filing an exemption form with the school. You can still choose to vaccinate when and how you like, but you just don't share that information with the school.

Sorry, but the state of Mississippi doesn't offer an exemption, and it looks like that's the state of the thread-starter. Our pediatrician's office spaces them all out and doesn't give the large shots that are actually packaged in one dose, they use separate serums and space them out. I would insist on this.