Menu

Chalkdust Math and less $$$

Pongo

I have had several requests for the ISBN's, I just wanted to post the Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 link here

I picked up the CD Basic Math Teachers Guide/Text & DVD's for $65 with shipping. I will post those ISBN's as soon as I get the the last book:), just to make sure.

I am waiting for the Alg. 2 set. I do have the Prealgebra, Algebra and Geometry and those are correct.

:D

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Algebra 1 would be great! I am looking at CD for my son. He has been doing VT but I just don't think it is a great fit. But $300 for CD is just a bit too steep.

Thanks!!!

Here are the Algebra ISBN's from an earlier post I wrote. I have received them and they correct.

Here are the Algebra ISBN's from an earlier post I wrote. I have received them and they correct.

Thank you for sharing this information. I see the isbn for the text, solution manual and dvd's. Do you happen to also have the isbn for teachers edition? I tried searching without success.

Thanks again. I am using the pre-algebra program now and it is working beautifully!

Grace

So, just to summarize and put the Algebra 1 info in this thread:

Elementary Algebra the same as Algebra 1

Student textbook put out by Chalkdust ISBN-13: 978-0618107742

Student textbook for less… ISBN 9780618753536 (doesn’t say Chalkdust)

Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773

Solution Guide not by CD (cheaper) ISBN: 9780618388196

Videos ISBN-13: 9780618388233 (Make sure you get 6 videos).

Correct?

So, just to summarize and put the Algebra 1 info in this thread:

Elementary Algebra the same as Algebra 1

Student textbook put out by Chalkdust ISBN-13: 978-0618107742

Student textbook for less… ISBN 9780618753536 (doesn’t say Chalkdust)

Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773

Solution Guide not by CD (cheaper) ISBN: 9780618388196

Videos ISBN-13: 9780618388233 (Make sure you get 6 videos).

Correct?

lol.....that made it easier:D

I'll just add that the CD Solutions Guide had ALL the solutions (odd & even) the other not by CD only had odd.

Do you want it for the non-chalkdust books? The one for Chalkdust as called a complete solution guide, it's basically the TM with a sheet of blank paper then the solutions guide to odd only. From what I found and read, Chalkdust would of had to pay to much to have them put them together so instead they bound the two books together, separating them with a blank sheet of paper...clear as mud?

Do you want it for the non-chalkdust books? The one for Chalkdust as called a complete solution guide, it's basically the TM with a sheet of blank paper then the solutions guide to odd only. From what I found and read, Chalkdust would of had to pay to much to have them put them together so instead they bound the two books together, separating them with a blank sheet of paper...clear as mud?

My question about the Teacher's Edition was meant for the Chalkdust book. Thanks for answering. So if I want the answers to all the problems, I order the Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773.

Thanks again!

These are exactly the same things you would get if you ordered from Chalkdust? I'm looking at the pre-alg set. The DVDs have Dana Mosley, and the textbooks are the same? Are they different editions? It seems too good to be true.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Edited by scrapbabe

I can tell you I have the Pre-Algebra set, same edition they used to make Chalkdust (this information is on the website under textbooks), just a different cover(blue) and the CD's come in a cardboard pocket folder with little DVD holder slots, yes, it's Dana Moesly he introduced himself as I started to play the DVD set:).

I have the Geometry set, the text is the IDENTICAL looking one on the website cover and all. Instead of buying the solutions guide I went ahead and bought the TE to ALL the solutions, for a whopping $4.00 NEW. I bought the traditional set, I ordered both and my dd liked the color in the Larson one, the other one was a little drab. Again, Dana Mosely introduced himself to me when I popped in the DVD's.

I have the Algebra 1 set, the text and solutions guide is IDENTICAL looking to the one on the site, sporting the Chalkdust covers and logos. The DVD's are in the cardboard pocket thingies instead of the $250 dollar clamshell case I would have gotten from Chalkdust, and you guessed it, Dana introduced himself once again:)

If you REALLY want the Chalkdust books, then you can always get the Chalkdust books directly from them, paying more of course, and buy the DVD's online. It will probably run you about 1/2 or a little less than what Chalkdust is charging.

I know CD needs to make money but I got all these sets for under $75 one for $40 that's including DVD's, text. TM/Solutions, and usually in like new if not new condition. Houghton Miffilin is the name on ALL the DVD cardboard pocket covers. It's funny, but if they knew better they would advertise that they have the highly sought after Dana Moesly as the instructor in their DVD and homeschoolers would buy them all up;)

Sure, I will go look in the home library, I'll be back!

I'm back. There was no information in my Geometry DVD's. What I did was look in my Geometry book for publisher which is DC Heath, no longer in existence. Then I went back to the Cd site and found this "Most Chalk Dust Company video programs were produced to correlate directly with a specific textbook. The exceptions are Geometry and SAT* Math Review. Although the Geometry video program was produced to correspond with many texts, the recommended text is remarkably easy to correlate with the videos.

The other Chalk Dust video programs can also be used with many textbooks by cross-referencing topics labeled on the tapes with textbook topics. However, the texts directly related to the videotapes are the easiest to use. Each program corresponds chapter-by-chapter and section-by-section to a companion text written by Ron Larson, one the nation's leading math authors."

So I found the Geometry one from the other book, the one they list as the NEW geometry book by Alexander published in 2007. From what I can tell the only difference is they rearranged some of the topics. You can see this on the CD site under course outlines of the DVD'd. Here is that ISBN

One other thing, if you put Dana Mosely or Chalkdust Productions into you library database, you may also find them for FREE. When I looked up some of the ISBN's for library resources I saw the DVD's in libraries all over the country.

Edited by Pongo

Thank you so much for sharing all of this information with us! I would definitely be interested in the Basic Math set when you receive it. I am interested in having my son (soon to be 6th) use TT7 the rest of this year and through the summer, and then start him in basic math in the fall.

Did you end up buying your Algebra 1 from just Amazon or from various resources? For example, I found the DVD's on ecampus.com for $40; however, it doesn't say that it comes with 6 DVDs. It just lists them as a series. I just want to make sure I get the 6 DVDs.

Thanks!

I got my books from amazon and I think I got the DVD's from Holistic or Alibris. If it's not noted that there are less than I wouldn't worry. I found sometimes they would list that 1 or 2 were missing. I wanted people to make sure that it was not okay if they said "...4 DVD's" it needed to be the set of 6 in the quantity section.

I am waiting for the Alg. 2 set. I do have the Prealgebra, Algebra and Geometry and those are correct.

:D

Pongo, do you have the isbn numbers for the algebra II set? I am needing them for next year, and your post has given me hope that I won't have to spend the big bucks to get the books and dvds from Chalkdust.

Thanks,

Cathy

Pongo, do you have the isbn numbers for the algebra II set? I am needing them for next year, and your post has given me hope that I won't have to spend the big bucks to get the books and dvds from Chalkdust.

Thanks,

Cathy

Algebra 2 DVD-ISBN: 9780618306763

Text ISBN: 9780618218783

Student Solutions ISBN 978-0618218806

The other option is getting the DVD's using the ISBN above the books directly from Chalkdust, I think they come to around $100 for the books.

Edited by Pongo

Hi

I have been interested in the Chalkdust for less posts where you can purchase Chalkdust at Amazon for less money. When I went to the CD website yesterday, there is a warning against piracy and not purchasing what are supposedly illegal copies. Their "internet warning" says:

Internet Warning:

The Internet is full of pirates selling fake Chalk Dust DVDs. Beware of any entity or person who is selling multiple single Chalk Dust programs (i.e. like 6 copies of Algebra 1 DVDs), who has ripped off sreaming video and quotes content from the Chalk Dust Company website (including Dana's picture with his deceased dog). What else is this person pirating? Also, anyone claiming to represent Chalk Dust in a sales transaction whose phone is not 281-265-2495, 800-588-7564, 281-265-1785, 281-265-3197 (fax) is not telling you the truth. If anything is too good to be true, it is.

The legitimate reseller of a Chalk Dust program will often sell a single textbook, solutions guide, and DVDs (not multiple copies). They do not rip off extensive content from our website. And their price will usually (but not always) be at least half, or higher, than our standard retail prices. They will also identify themselves as a past Chalk Dust customer (not a company representative).

Please think about whether the transaction you are contemplating makes sense."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would the items being sold on Amazon fall under this category? I am not very experienced in this area and would not want to purchase something that might be illegal.

Thanks!

The copies from amazon, at least the ones I got are from Houghton Miffilin. They don't say Chalkdust on them, they say HM,Instructor Math Space, they are not copies. I guess it would apply to those that are saying they are Chalkdust CD's with the logo and all and they don't come in the CD case. These dealers at least the ones I bought from were not claiming they were CD reps? I wonder if they realized that people were finding a way to get them cheaper...seems like the timing is a little suspicious???

Hi

I have been interested in the Chalkdust for less posts where you can purchase Chalkdust at Amazon for less money. When I went to the CD website yesterday, there is a warning against piracy and not purchasing what are supposedly illegal copies. Their "internet warning" says:

Internet Warning:

The Internet is full of pirates selling fake Chalk Dust DVDs. Beware of any entity or person who is selling multiple single Chalk Dust programs (i.e. like 6 copies of Algebra 1 DVDs), who has ripped off sreaming video and quotes content from the Chalk Dust Company website (including Dana's picture with his deceased dog). What else is this person pirating? Also, anyone claiming to represent Chalk Dust in a sales transaction whose phone is not 281-265-2495, 800-588-7564, 281-265-1785, 281-265-3197 (fax) is not telling you the truth. If anything is too good to be true, it is.

The legitimate reseller of a Chalk Dust program will often sell a single textbook, solutions guide, and DVDs (not multiple copies). They do not rip off extensive content from our website. And their price will usually (but not always) be at least half, or higher, than our standard retail prices. They will also identify themselves as a past Chalk Dust customer (not a company representative).

Please think about whether the transaction you are contemplating makes sense."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would the items being sold on Amazon fall under this category? I am not very experienced in this area and would not want to purchase something that might be illegal.

Thanks!

The copies that I bought off of Amazon for Pre-Algebra don't say chalkdust.

They say Houghton Mifflin.

And brand new, the total was $83 including 4 separate shipping charges.

The authors on the books are the same authors as the chalkdust program.

The isbns are the same.

The covers are blue.

How different could the books be>

You know that they didn't get together, sit down and write two completely different pre-algebra programs......

It's all good to me.

I respect the homeschool company, but I'm not going to pay three times as much for a math program if I can buy it for less with a different cover.

It doesn't appear to be an illegal copy.

Do you know how expensive it is to print a 652+ glossy paged textbook????

:iagree:

The Pre Algebra materials I purchased do not say CD either, but do not in any way appear to be illegal copies. The DVDs are Dana Mosely and the books are Houghton as Fay mentioned. I am thrilled to have found a way to use this material more affordably.

Follow-up to my previous post. I'm really getting confused and frustrated with trying to find this great deal......which I really want to take advantage of. I looked on ecampus. and they call it a video-dvd, so I'm not sure if that is what I need. When I look at other sites searching with the Houghton Mifflin Math Instructional DVD series, it appears I'm getting what I need, but some say starring Ron Larson. I'm feeling frustrated hopeless. I would appreciate some specific on where I may find the Algebra I student book, solution guide, and instructional dvd's. Sorry, but I guess I need to be led to the water.....at least I know when to drink!

Thanks so much,

Laurie

Hi-

I found the Chalkdust DVDs for precalc on e-bay and bought them. Found the text used on Alibris. Now I need to find the solution manual for precalc. I don't want to buy it new as it's $60! Any help would be so appreciated! Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Myra

My real name is Queen Google...lol no really it all a matter or using the correct terminology. I was a research assistant for my college professor and there are some tricks.

~Book sellers use Instructors Annotated Edition instead of Teachers Manual

~Publisher names are easier to locate than Authors

~Instead of writing in Third(or whatever number) edition, type in 3e

~Look in Worldcat to see what smaller publishers carry (like Chalkdust), this will not only give you ISBN's but also libraries with the specific material you are looking for including local Community Colleges

~Look up the Full name of an Author including his middle initial if you know it

~Try to avoid vague or broad words, if you know the complete title put that in

~If there are several pages from your search go to around page 5 or 6 and work forward. Many times the obvious, especially if you have been trying for awhile doesn't work.

~ Lastly, it takes practice.

Sadly my motivation started in college, my parents would look at the booklist and send me a big fat check to go to the campus book store to buy my books. Because I wanted to keep the money:glare:(I know...that was pretty greedy)I would search and find the books for a 1/3 of the cost and then go shopping with the money I saved.

I told my mom in my third year and she thought that was pretty resourceful and the following year sent me the check for the full amount knowing I would find the books cheaper. She said they had committed to buying the books and that if I saved money by finding another way to purchase them then I should pocket it:D, I love my mom.

Pongo, thanks so much for your willingness to help locate this material. I'll wait to see your specific sites for the Algebra I material. How do you search these items? Do you use ISBN? By name? Seems you can find things quickly! What's the secret. I am admit I am not computer savy.

Thanks, Laurie

Check your pm's I sent it last night:)

Guest mominindianapolis

Just wanted to note here that the cd's that come with Chalkdust are all indeed done by Dana Mosely.

Also - one thing that you receive when you purchase your products thru Chalkdust is both the assurance that if you have any problems with the dvd's you will have that rectified by the company, and also the opportunity to receive help from Mr. Mosely via phone or e-mail for as long as you own the program. You may purchase this option thru Chalkdust for a fee if you purchase used materials.

We have had a long association with Chalkdust in our homeschooling journey and they are very kind and gracious people. I appreciate that they make their assistance available even to those who purchase used materials.