Menu

The Once and Future King by T.H. White....

Has anyone read this? I'm prereading it for a lit class I'll teach next yr. I'm only on p 100. So far, I would say the story is engaging and entertaining, but I wouldn't classify it as "beautiful" writing. It's listed on many top 100 books to read.

If you've read it, how did you like this book? What did you get out of it?

Is there a better, more beautiful King Arthur tale?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle in AL

I had to read this for my summer reading for my 9th grade honor's english class......I remember enjoying the book and so did others in my class....

I also had to read "Lost Horizon" and "Across Five Aprils" that summer....I can't believe I remember that....that was over 20 years ago!

The first book is quite different in style from the later books. I have given 'The Sword in the Stone' to Calvin to read, but I am waiting until he is very much older (adult?) before suggesting the rest of the books. The unicorn scene.... I've never been able to bring myself to reread it.

TH White wrote a very interesting account of his trying to train a goshawk by medieval methods. It's not an optimistic read, but the detail is fascinating.

Laura

I think it is a great retelling of the Arthur legend for children but I read it as an adult and loved it. Can't say I had a problem with anything in it but I have the type of memory that gently lays aside the bad.

I can also recommend the Mary Stewart Merlin trilogy for you to read but again I read this as an adult. It is a different take. My ds and I had lots of great discussions after he read both. He was probably 10th-11th grade.

DS read this one and is starting on The Crystal Cave next.

we're reading it *precisely* because it deals with political commentary on various systems of govt. He was especially interested in reading it when he saw the bad guy on X-men reading it in his plastic prison ;)

Watership Down is another political commentary on various forms of gvt. It's got some gory scenes tho. But so do various forms of gvt ;)

I prefer the Crystal Cave myself, but that is the book I was assigned in school, and it started a lifelong love of Arthurian things, so I am prejudiced. My kids are both reading Sword in the Stone at the moment and neither is hed over heels about it at all, although I think they are enjoying it ok. I read the first few chapters and was happy to stop.