Menu

I am going to post this as a guideline that one school uses- I think it is very informative

The BASIS high school curriculum is organized around the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Program.

The BASIS high school curriculum is extremely rigorous, yet accelerated enough to allow students to complete their minimum required college preparatory course work and go on to college following their third year. However, the vast majority of students choose to stay for a fourth year. The BASIS senior year curriculum offers a unique opportunity for students to fully utilize the fruits of their hard work and to put important finishing touches on their high school transcript. During the first half of their senior year, students complete rigorous “capstone†courses in traditional academic fields. During their second semester, students complete an independent research project consisting of either study aboard or an internship in Scottsdale, another U.S. location, or abroad. Students must plan and propose their projects, which must be closely tied to their future career or educational plans. While students are closely monitored and evaluated during the Senior Project, the level of independence, self motivation, and creativity required during this time finalizes the students’ preparation for their academic future, serving as a bridge between the high school and college experience.

ADVANCED PLACEMENT CURRICULUM

WHY AP COURSES?

Research findings indicate that students who take AP courses—regardless of whether they receive high scores on the AP exam—do better while in college and are much more likely to graduate from college than students who do not take AP courses. AP courses also allow students to gain enough knowledge about various disciplines to help them decide on a major to pursue in college. Students who receive sufficiently high scores on AP examinations can earn college credit.

AP courses provide students with the opportunity to pursue college-level studies while they are still in high school. BASIS high school students can literally begin their college education in small classes at a pace tailored to their intellectual level of development, rather than in crowded, frenetically paced survey courses that typify the college freshman experience.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT BASIS AP COURSES?

Many Scottsdale area high schools offer AP courses to selected students, and these are generally taken in the 11th and 12th Grades. At BASIS, all students are required to take a minimum of eight AP courses, beginning with two AP courses in the 9th Grade. Additionally, BASIS high school students are required to take the AP exam in six courses, and the exam results are factored into their grades for those courses. This approach is unique to BASIS and helps differentiate BASIS students in the college admissions process. BASIS School practices what the College Board preaches—we, too, believe that “AP is not a program for the elite but a program for the prepared.†The BASIS curriculum is designed to prepare students for the AP challenge, which, in turn, prepares students for college and university life.

COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND SEQUENCE

SCIENCE

In 9th Grade, BASIS students begin with one Honors science course in biology, chemistry, or physics. In 10th Grade, students continue with the chosen science as an AP course and select an additional Honors science course. Students in 11th Grade continue with the second selected science as an AP course and take the third and last required Honors science course. By 11th Grade all students are required to obtain 5 science credits: 3 in Honors courses and 2 in AP science courses. (Note: Students have the option of choosing AP Economics in place of a second AP science.) The science curriculum is completed with a Science Lab in 12th Grade. Students taking Calculus III in 12th Grade are not required to take this course.

MATH

The BASIS high school math sequence includes Pre-Calculus and Calculus, and either AP Calculus or Advanced Mathematics. Students who choose AP Calculus in 11th Grade can enroll in Calculus III in 12th Grade. All 12th Grade students complete their math course work with Applied Math. Applied Math includes Statistics and selected advanced math topics. BASIS no longer enrolls incoming high school students in Algebra courses. The lowest level of math taught to incoming high school students is Pre-Calculus. BASIS offers Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry courses during the summer, to help students transferring from other schools achieve success in the BASIS math curriculum.

ENGLISH

BASIS students are required to take 4 credits of English, beginning in 9th Grade with AP English Language and a Composition and Writing Lab. They continue with Honors Literature in 10th Grade, AP English Literature in 11th Grade, and a Capstone Humanities Seminar during the first semester of their senior year.

SOCIAL STUDIES

BASIS students are required to take 3 AP history courses, beginning in 9th Grade with AP World History. They continue with AP European History in 10th Grade and AP U.S. History in 11th Grade. Students also are offered AP Economics and AP U.S. Government courses, in which they may enroll in place of a second AP science or AP Calculus.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

Students may choose to take either Spanish, French, or Mandarin Chinese, and they are required to take their chosen language at each high school grade. Students who wish to pursue their foreign language study may take AP Spanish or AP French in 11th Grade. Students who take an AP foreign language in 11th Grade will continue their foreign language studies in 12th Grade in an independent study or TA (Teaching Assistant) activities for lower grades.

OTHER REQUIRED COURSES

Students must take a minimum of one fine art course (they may choose from Music, Art, or Drama) and one sports/athletic activity credit. The latter credit may be fulfilled by taking a sport elective at BASIS, or by participating on a BASIS team or other competitive team.

SENIOR PROJECT

In 12th Grade, students spend the second semester either in an intern position at a public or private sector institution or enrolled in an external study program. The internship or the external study program may be located either in the U.S. or abroad and should be related to the course of study that the student intends to pursue after graduating from BASIS. While local internships are possible, we encourage parents to consider having their child intern outside of Scottsdale and, if possible, outside of the U.S. The Senior Project is the capstone to a rigorous three-and-a-half-year academic program, and it is intended to give students the perspective and real-world skills they will need to succeed in college.

I found the BASIS school curriculum very inspirational. But I find myself conflicted on the best approach. My thoughts go back to the debate on what to do with a gifted child. Do you have them dig deeper into the material? Or do you have them skip grades?

I always wanted my dd to have her AA degree when she graduated from high school. I think AP and dual enrollment approach education from that same mindset. But then I found TWTM and a Great Books type school and realized that there is a highschool education available to some that is an order of magnitude higher than what I had experienced. And I decided that if I could give my daughter the very best high school education she would end up better educated than most college educated people in this country.

Now if dd did not require a college degree , then I would ignore the dual enrollment and AP options and just dig deeper into each subject. But reality for us means choosing from the best of the options available where we are today. She will end up graduating with neither an AA degree or a WTM education. But we are pursuing the best path available to us. She will be better educated then me, but not as well educated as I would have liked.

Here is the link to my favorite public school. If I could have sent my daughter here I would have. You might find their curriculum interesting. If you lived in Arizona you would have to choose between BASIS, Great Hearts, and TWTM.

http://www.greatheartsaz.org/

I hope this doesn't sound like an attack - it's not meant to be. But, wasn't it you that had the rant about standardized testing? I am personally struggling through these questions myself as I try to map out 9th grade and beyond.

I have a very average kid, whose talents really lie in being a "people person". I guess that means one day he might excell in psychology??? But, it doesn't really help in high school or the typical AP's or even the SAT.

Even so, I agree with outtamyshell that there is something alluring about not worrying about "proving" ourselves with numerous AP's or SAT-2's and simply having a rich, student-led high school experience. Yes, he will take the SAT and any required SAT-2's, but as the day approaches when a decision MUST be made, I am leaning more and more to not worrying about jumping through other people's hoops. We will prepare, but not be obsessive about it, if that makes sense.

I am leaning more and more to not worrying about jumping through other people's hoops. We will prepare, but not be obsessive about it, if that makes sense.

This is something I keep going back to -- not jumping through other people's hoops. If I wanted my kids to go through those hoops, through the testing and admissions circus, they would be in a brick and mortar school.

I sometimes forget my initial passion for blazing my own unique homeschooling path, my fundamental belief that a solid, even excellent, education can be had without conforming to the norm. I panic when reading this forum, sometimes, that I'm not doing enough. But in the end, I'd rather have independent thinkers, rather have kids who are passionate about their own studies, than have a teen who spends his life studying for the next AP exam. Yes, my kids will have to prove to colleges that they are prepared for college-level courses, but there are many ways to go about that. And yes, there are many fine and legitimate reasons to take AP exams, but APs are not the holy grail of an excellent education.

My opinion of that school is that it is marketing itself to a certain demographic -- the upwardly mobile, success driven types, rather than focusing on truly educating their students. If you want a prototype to follow for an excellent education, re-read The Well Trained Mind. ;)

Stepping off my soapbox....

Edited by JennW in SoCal

Ok Rhondabee,

Here is the scoop- Let me give you a little more info-

I am totally against standardized testing, infact that is why I wrote my post about it. I hate what it does to education- but it is what it is and it is not changing anytime to soon. I think it only benefits a small population, including the wealthy. I think right brain spatial learners etc. don't have near the chance as a left brain-sequential learner does.

I am an ex college prof. I saw first hand what testing did for people. I saw the 32's on the ACT with no personality in my classroom. I saw the 24's who had the people skills and the media presentations down pat. The lower group did much better than their counterpart. However, I know several highly successful testers such as my own siblings who are doctors and lawyers now.

I myself, flunked out on my own testing, and slid through to graduate school on recommendations. I had a solid 4.0 the whole way through graduate school. I have had a highly successful life.

In college, When I interned for a position to study in Washington DC with a Senator, the professors (from the poli sci department) told me I didn't have a chance of landing a position with any Senator, since "I didn't have the test scores or the backgrounds of my competition. I would be lucky to find anything" I was told. I landed every position that I interviewed for and had my pick of the entire crop. The department head was floored, when one Senators office, said I was the best that they had seen on campus. I scored the top internship of any student that year. Cream rises to the top :)

I graduated, taught at a university and a college. Now I have come full circle and although I dread testing, things are not changing to quick in the college world. Sure you can get by without it. My daughter could choose a college who doesn't require it, or she could go the music route or the likes and not need it one bit. That is a route for sure to consider.

I have spent the last 2 months reading everything I can get my hands on, investigating schools, reading reports etc. to figure out what direction I am going with this. I have spoke with college consultants for the Ivy Leagues etc.

The bottom line for me is, the AP route well help reduce the overall cost of college. Something I wasn't worried about 2 years ago, but now with a decreasing financial portfolio, and a desire to keep my daughter debt free, the AP route will not only increase her chances of acceptance, but reduce the amount of schooling she will need.

AP's will also strengthen her ability to compete on a college level. Getting in is one thing- excelling in a competitive environment is another. More competitive classes will help her overall.

More competitive classes will improve their chances as homeschoolers to get into a top notch college if that is what they desire.

Your 9th grade year is your most important year because you are building a foundation. That is where my own parents failed with my education.

College acceptance is a game, and the few, that know how to play it- end up doing well. Once they get in that is a different story-

So as much as I think it doesn't prove the individual, most colleges require it and many good schools demand more from a homeschooler in the testing department (strange bias).

Don't be surprised if you hear more rants and raves from me.

My kids haven't taken an exam in years (they came from PS)

I have decided to go the testing route and work preparation into our schedule. But I am not going to let that ruin my chances of enjoying my daughters highschool education or my time with her. We can still make it fun, as others have noted. We can still enjoy the journey together.

In the end, I wish that I personally would have done better on standardized testing myself. It is a long term struggle to hurdle over everything- My story says you can do it, but oh how much nicer it would have been if I had been more prepared and more educated on the testing process.

I don't think testing should be 100 percent of the focus, I think that learning in a solid environment should be the focus, that will help you excel on the exams. Learning to love to read, learning your math, thinking about things, reasoning etc. The test is just a mechanism to open a door.

Edited by Lux Et Veritas Academy

Here is the link to my favorite public school. If I could have sent my daughter here I would have. You might find their curriculum interesting. If you lived in Arizona you would have to choose between BASIS, Great Hearts, and TWTM.

http://www.greatheartsaz.org/

Seriously? Did you ever spend any time at any of these schools? Or with kids who go there? Tempe Prep, the original one, sounds FANTASTIC on paper, but is... Not really even close to... What they say they are. And, honestly, as far as I am concerned, the Prep schools are totally inappropriate for gifted kids.

That sounds horrible, I know, and I do not mean to be rude (especially to you, outtamyshell). I really thought it would be one of my favorite schools, also. Hm, yeah. Not so much. Talk about testing being 100% of the curriculum! However, in their defense, it must be ever so difficult to take in a large group of random kids and attempt to mold them into well-educated members of society.

I think we all have out own ideas about what it means to be well-educated. I know I have to play the game, but I would really like to pick out my own uniform.

I might be sticking a foot in my mouth here, and maybe my "two cents" will offend some, but that being said :), I'd like to pose a few questions, rhetorical mostly.

Why do you have to jump through hoops? - Isn't that why so many of us homeschool our children? I have a daughter in high school. I have researched the internet, and read up on the things she needs to study in order to get into college. I am giving her a solid, classical education, hoping to instill in her a moral backbone, and a love for history, books, and life.

I guess what I am trying to say is I have tried to look at my motivation for what I do concerning the education of my children. Why am I doing what I am doing and how am I doing it. What are my children becoming? Hopefully God loving, righteous, upstanding individuals with a sense of worth and a strong moral compass, who want to better themselves and their community.

That being said, and I am not implying any judgment upon individuals in this thread, I think that we are such individual and diverse beings that there is no set road map that applies to all. What my daughter envisions for her life may not be what I envision. But then, it's not my right to live vicariously through her. In the end we all do our best with what we are given and no matter what "success" our children may enjoy they will always be beloved children of a loving Heavenly Father who knows their strengths and their weaknesses and builds upon them.

There's my two cents. Most of it will sound redundant as the previous posts say much the same thing in many different ways!:001_smile:

Have a great weekend ladies, enjoy Spring!!

I don't know if this will be an encouragement or not.

We did not worry too much about high stakes testing. Sarah took the ACT in 10th grade once and then twice in 11th. Her score never changed so we just went with that score and hoped for the best.

She competed for one of only 15 spots in an honors program recently. She was invited to join the organization even though others competing had higher test scores, higher GPA's and lots of AP classes. The director of the honors program admitted to her that few homeschoolers get into this program and part of what helped her was the non-traditional course she followed for high school. In fact he and his wife are using WTM in their homeschooling and so he was very familiar with it. He also told her how excited he was too see in her the fruits of this sort of education, as his children are young still.

She had to prove in her interviews, small group discussions and timed essay that she was right for the program. They were looking for more than smart, they were looking for thinkers who could stand their ground.

So, there is more than one path to getting into college.

Oh, this honors program includes mentoring from professors, extra seminars, a huge senior project, tons of help getting into grad school/law school/med school and a full tuition scholarship. So she is on a pretty good track.

I tell you this not to brag but to encourage you to seek a unique path for your students. It's what makes homeschooling so great!!!