Menu

Latin--do you learn with or ahead of your kids?

HollyBee

My dd10 is doing Latin for Children, Primer A. I have been letting her do it on her own for the most part. I know, lame on my part. In my defense, it has been review for her because she did this curriculum a few years ago in her private school (it was long enough ago that I felt she should start back at the beginning).

Anyhow, my question is: Is it okay to learn along with the children? I was thinking of getting myself one of the student books to work along with her. Or, would it be better to use a course that is designed for an older learner and do it more on my own so that I'm a little ahead of her? I did have 2 years of high school Latin, but it was a loooooong time ago!

ETA: If you think it's better to learn ahead with a different curriculum, what curriculum do you recommend?

Thanks!

Holly

My mom did LCI and II with my girls, my mom's friend...and the friend's daughter. She stayed really up with where the class was. (They used the DVDs) and now with Henle....she is really diligent about staying up...and then a few lessons ahead. She spends about an hour or more each day on Latin. She's a good teacher:-)

Carrie:-)

My dd10 is doing Latin for Children, Primer A. I have been letting her do it on her own for the most part. I know, lame on my part. In my defense, it has been review for her because she did this curriculum a few years ago in her private school (it was long enough ago that I felt she should start back at the beginning).

Anyhow, my question is: Is it okay to learn along with the children? I was thinking of getting myself one of the student books to work along with her. Or, would it be better to use a course that is designed for an older learner and do it more on my own so that I'm a little ahead of her? I did have 2 years of high school Latin, but it was a loooooong time ago!

ETA: If you think it's better to learn ahead with a different curriculum, what curriculum do you recommend?

Thanks!

Holly

I just ordered Getting Started With Latin for myself. I thought I'd learn along with the boys (they're finishing up LfCA), but now they ask me questions and I'm unsure of the answer, so I figured I'd better get cracking and really learn Latin so I can really teach it.

Ds did Prima Latina, LC I, and LC II. I realized by the end of LC II that I was going to have to start doing it with him or he wasn't going to pay enough attention to all the details. We do Latin in the Christian Trivium together. His memory is far better than mine, so he often has to help me. However, b/c of maturity I do tend to pay more attention to the minutia of what is going on. So, I feel like we help each other. It is one of my favorite parts of our school day. My son is better at it than I am though.

We did all of LitCT Volume I last year and will get through half of LitCT Volume II this year. We have slowed the pace b/c we are also throwing in some Spanish now, too.

Thanks!

Holly

If you aren't getting stuck, and you're not impatient to learn more, I think learning with dc is fine. I often tell myself I'm going to work through Wheelock's or something before dd gets to that level, but I never get around to it! We are working through LP 2 now. I had a year of high school Latin, and worked through part of Henle for a year with older ds. Sometimes, I wish we could move a little faster, but I don't really have the time to invest in working on my own right now. Now that I think about it, I've really dumped a lot of prep in favor of just working/learning along with dd.

Mary

I'm learning it with my dd and so far this is working fine for us (we're using Latin Prep). She loves the fact that I am a student too, and I have to do the "homework" too. I guess it's a nice change for her from me being the teacher and her feeling like she's doing all the work. But if it becomes apparent that I need to start working ahead of her, I will. So far, I haven't felt that need.

Learning WITH my kids revolutionized Latin in our house. When I started doing the assignments with my son, it totally changed his whole attitude towards it. He loves to help me at times and we correct our work together, and I model how I make corrections when I miss one. We have really enjoyed doing it together.

I just ordered Getting Started With Latin for myself. I thought I'd learn along with the boys (they're finishing up LfCA), but now they ask me questions and I'm unsure of the answer, so I figured I'd better get cracking and really learn Latin so I can really teach it.

I am working through this book and finding it a very easy introduction to Latin. The lessons are small but build on each other nicely.

Learning WITH my kids revolutionized Latin in our house. When I started doing the assignments with my son, it totally changed his whole attitude towards it. He loves to help me at times and we correct our work together, and I model how I make corrections when I miss one. We have really enjoyed doing it together.

I think this has got to be a very individual thing, and probably very dependent on learning styles, as well.

I tried learning Greek alongside my kids, and it was a disaster. It really works better if I learn ahead, and guide them through the lesson. However, I work quickly until I hit a wall; my kids need a slower pace.

Thanks!

Holly

We started Latin this year with LFC A. I bought myself a workbook and do the work along with ds. I also like being able to see the same page as ds.

I also bought Getting Started with Latin and completed some before we started LFC. It ties in nicely and I will probably have ds work on that during the summer.

I recently bought Lingua Latina and started that for myself. I find it quite fun. I also recently bought Latin Alive to work through over the summer.

I will continue to buy my own workbooks for LFC simply because I do like doing the lessons with ds. My goal, however, is to move further ahead of him this summer.

Learn ahead, then go back and work through it with them.

Ding, ding! Just what I was going to say. I work ahead then do the assignments together with my son in my own copy of the workbook. (This is Greek.) I wish I'd done that with my oldest, but it's too late to kick myself now!

I'll be honest -- I learn behind my son. (I'd like it to be ahead -- I have a very nice library of HS- and college-level Latin reference and learning materials -- but it just hasn't worked out that way.) He's using LLI and he's way ahead of me. I have to refer to a cheat sheet for endings and to the dictionary for meanings, most of which he has already memorized. Still, even with my "open book" approach, I am able to help him when he has a question.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's interesting to see the different approaches used for this. I do like the idea of working ahead, then working through the lessons with them. I think I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

Holly