Menu

Jesus' Parable of the Talents: Interesting News Story (cc)

I heard a really interesting feature news story on NRP today that I think many of you may enjoy reading (or listing to) on the NPR site.

A minister in Michigan, whose partitioners are facing great needs in this economic crisis (at a time when offerings are down) was inspired by Jesus' Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25, and he gave out church-funds to the partitioners challenging them to multiply it.

It's a pretty inspiring story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101947625

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
A terrible typo that ruined the whole thing. "insipid" rather than "inspired". D'oh

WONDERFUL example of watching the private sector go to work with funds that were given voluntarily ;)

I guess what intrigues me goes beyond the fact that the money was given freely (in the first place) it's that the money was put back in the peoples hands with the message to creatively multiply those funds. And with a small amount of capital, and both an entrepreneurial spirit and a sense of mission, that people responded in imaginative ways to bring good to the world.

While the context if different, the micro-finance experiments that are taking place around the world (inspired by the success of the Grameen Bank) can similarly change the world, or at least the lives of those who've been given an opportunity to be small-time capitalists.

Sometimes all it takes is a little liquidity or available capital, combined with a lot of human energy and smart-thinking, to get an economic ball rolling than might never have if the seed money was missing from the equation.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I guess what intrigues me goes beyond the fact that the money was given freely (in the first place) it's that the money was put back in the peoples hands with the message to creatively multiply those funds. And with a small amount of capital, and both an entrepreneurial spirit and a sense of mission, that people responded in imaginative ways to bring good to the world.

While the context if different, the micro-finance experiments that are taking place around the world (inspired by the success of the Grameen Bank) can similarly change the world, or at least the lives of those who've been given an opportunity to be small-time capitalists.

Sometimes all it takes is a little liquidity or available capital, combined with a lot of human energy and smart-thinking, to get an economic ball rolling than might never have if the seed money was missing from the equation.

Bill

yes, but as you noted, the idea of individuals investing privately for the good of all is much older than the Grameen bank ;)

If just giving seed money was all it took, then those checks that went out under Bush and now Obama would have been returned in spades.

Apparently that didn't happen.

There must be other variables at work besides Just Doling Out Seed Money.

History is replete w/ instances of people working their way up from pennies in their pockets [seed money] to successful businesses that employ hundreds and establish foundations to help millions.

These particular instances of seed money were successful thru a non-profit entity that collected the money voluntarily and did not saddle the borrowers w/ a host of requirements [unlike the Grameen Bank]. I'd be interested to see the result of the other investments too :)

yes, but as you noted, the idea of individuals investing privately for the good of all is much older than the Grameen bank ;)

If just giving seed money was all it took, then those checks that went out under Bush and now Obama would have been returned in spades.

Apparently that didn't happen.

There must be other variables at work besides Just Doling Out Seed Money.

History is replete w/ instances of people working their way up from pennies in their pockets [seed money] to successful businesses that employ hundreds and establish foundations to help millions.

These particular instances of seed money were successful thru a non-profit entity that collected the money voluntarily and did not saddle the borrowers w/ a host of requirements [unlike the Grameen Bank]. I'd be interested to see the result of the other investments too :)

My purpose was not (is not) to make grander economic points, but rather to show how one faith community drew on the message of a parable of Jesus, and in so doing did some inspiring works. That is all.

I think it is a cool story.

Bill

My purpose was not (is not) to make grander economic points, but rather to show how one faith community drew on the message of a parable of Jesus, and in so doing did some inspiring works. That is all.

I think it is a cool story.

Bill

that's ok --

you post the cool story [which i agree-- it definitely IS!],

and leave the grander economic points to the rest of us. ;)

My mil's church did this. She took her 10 dollars (the minister gave out gold Sacajewea dollars to add a fun factor) and made seed packets, using flower seeds from her garden. She sold them to friends and family and I think made back the money plus about 20 bucks. Pretty cool, huh?

I haven't read the link yet, but our church does a "Great Generosity Experiment" each year. Our pastor will hand out to each person a twenty dollar bill and encourage them to make it grow over the next month. You could use the money to buy baking supplies and then have a bake sale, you could make other things to sell, offer a cleaning service, etc. The first week in January, we collect all the money. It is then used to fuel our community outreach projects throughout the year. It is amazing, the next week, to see how we multiplied our money!

Our former church did this as well with 10 or 20 participants. My dh was one of the volunteers. I can't remember if the profits were distributed through the church or the volunteers picked a charity.

It was a wonderful community time. Some people sold candy, some made items to sell. My dh used the money to buy materials for a job (he's a self-employed carpenter) and turned in the entire pay from the job. It was a fun and rewarding experience.

My church did this 25 years ago or so (the church I was attending). It got everybody's creative juices flowing. That's neat that it took place in Michigan, where the economy is particularly sour. My current pastor has urged that Christians need to give MORE during hard economic times.

BTW SpyCar, I think you mean "parishioners" - though I guess they could be consider partitioners ;)

Thanks for sharing! Very inspiring! I would love to see my church copy something like this. Our congregation and area has remained for the most part a little above the curve in this economic crisis. So it is humbling to see a congregation come together like this when they are financially struggling.