Menu

I fought the law, and the law won

In other words, I got a speeding ticket. :tongue_smilie:

I was going 66 in a 50 zone. I had a speeding ticket 12 years ago and nothing since. I know in NC, you can get your license revoked for 30 days if you are going more than 15 over the speed limit. I think I need a lawyer. Any ideas? I am a bit of a Nervous Nelly right now.

usually within days of getting a speeding ticket you will start getting letters from attorneys offering to represent you. I have to be honest. I AM an attorney and so is my DH, and we still have hired someone to handle tickets. It's not particularly expensive, and they tend to know the ropes.

In different NC counties you will find different rules for handling speeding tickets. Don't go by what friends elsewhere tell you - you need to know how the DA's office in your town handles them. I used to live in a place that allowed drivers to do one "faulty equipment" plea every three years. That meant you had to pay court cost, but it wasn't a moving traffic violation, so there were no points on your insurance.

I would expect that an attorney can easily get you a plea to 59 in a 60 zone or whatever you need to reduce points and penalties. What until you get the letters and then start calling around - that's my advice! YOu will probably find someone who seems to know what he or she is doing. As I recall, you have very few real consequences for a first offense in three years IF no one else on your insurance has had a penalty during that period.

ETA that if you want to go in on your own and see if you can get the DA to agree to something suitable, it's worth a try if money is really tight. If they are unwilling to plea it down, you can always ask the judge for a continuance so that you can hire someone. These are the kinds of things that SHOULD be doable without an attorney. Unfortunately, traffic court tends to be very crowded and busy, and the DH doesn't have time to educate every single person on the law and their options, so often they are just much more willing to talk to an attorney before court actually starts. Once the judge starts calling cases, you can be there and ask for a continuance but it's often too late then to try to work out a deal with the DA.

Edited by Danestress

Okay, flame me, but honestly I don't see why you would seek a lawyer. You just need to accept the penalty for the crime.

Added: Oh, I just read Danestress's post. It didn't occur to me that you could get a lawyer to bring your speeding down to some other figure. I guess I'm not really getting the whole poing of a speed limit and such.

Edited by nestof3

usually within days of getting a speeding ticket you will start getting letters from attorneys offering to represent you. I have to be honest. I AM an attorney and so is my DH, and we still have hired someone to handle tickets. It's not particularly expensive, and they tend to know the ropes.

In different NC counties you will find different rules for handling speeding tickets. Don't go by what friends elsewhere tell you - you need to know how the DA's office in your town handles them. I used to live in a place that allowed drivers to do one "faulty equipment" plea every three years. That meant you had to pay court cost, but it wasn't a moving traffic violation, so there were no points on your insurance.

I would expect that an attorney can easily get you a plea to 59 in a 60 zone or whatever you need to reduce points and penalties. What until you get the letters and then start calling around - that's my advice! YOu will probably find someone who seems to know what he or she is doing. As I recall, you have very few real consequences for a first offense in three years IF no one else on your insurance has had a penalty during that period.

ETA that if you want to go in on your own and see if you can get the DA to agree to something suitable, it's worth a try if money is really tight. If they are unwilling to plea it down, you can always ask the judge for a continuance so that you can hire someone. These are the kinds of things that SHOULD be doable without an attorney. Unfortunately, traffic court tends to be very crowded and busy, and the DH doesn't have time to educate every single person on the law and their options, so often they are just much more willing to talk to an attorney before court actually starts. Once the judge starts calling cases, you can be there and ask for a continuance but it's often too late then to try to work out a deal with the DA.

Really? Is this a NC thing? Because I have never, ever heard of lawyers jumping out of the woodwork when you get a ticket . . . and yes, I have personal experience :tongue_smilie:

Down here in the backwoods, we just show up in court and beg for mercy. I honestly don't know anyone who has ever hired a lawyer for a speeding ticket. What does it cost?

I was going 66 in a 50 zone. I had a speeding ticket 12 years ago and nothing since. I know in NC, you can get your license revoked for 30 days if you are going more than 15 over the speed limit. I think I need a lawyer. Any ideas? I am a bit of a Nervous Nelly right now.

Here in TX, they can automatically take you to jail for 15 mph over, no questions asked. But that doesn't mean they will, unless there is some compelling reason to do so.

I've gotten tickets before. I've never had lawyers send me letters; apparently it isn't done in this area. However, I did call a lawyer's office once to get information. They were very helpful in helping me understand what my options were when the info on the ticket was not clear. You may be able to get similar help at no cost, so you understand your options.

hth

I think the last time I had a ticket, I paid an attorney $125 to make an appearance for me. A moving vehicle violation that affects your insurance points can cost a lot of money over the course of three years (which is how long I believe it affects my insurance rates) so that was worth it to me.

Most attorneys who do traffic court do a LOT of it. It's not worth it to just take the occasional case - they go into court with a stack of cases and go through them with the DA. So if attorneys do that kind of work (here, anyway) they will have someone go the court house, compile information on who has been ticketed, and send out letters.

I do think it would be better if people could handle these things on their own - and they can of course, but with mixed results depending on where they are. For me, it was worth it not to have to spend a day dealing with it. But it's entirely possible that I could have gotten the same result myself. I probably could sometimes fix my car engine myself, but I choose not to. It would take me a long time to learn HOW to fix and what to look for, and the mechanic already knows. Likewise, I could spend the time researching the law and trying to decide what the best course of action is, not knowing that the normal procedure is in my courthouse, but the attorney already knows that. I would spend six hours on something he probably spent half an hour on.

When my dh was at traffic court in McDowell County, some lawyers took pity on him and told him to plea "prayer for judgement". It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly it means that the ticket was put on hold for three years. If he got a ticket during that three year period, then both tickets would be activated. So, he didn't get a lawyer, but he definitely benefited from one.

When I lived in NC I got a ticket, and got tons of letters from lawyers. I hired one and they took care of it. The lawyer even went to court for me so I didn't need to.

Sigh...A year later I got another speeding ticket (again in NC). I decided to go to court myself and see what the difference was. Neither of my speeding tickets were enough to do much damage. However, I had to go to court for the second ticket, and I didn't get the charges lowered. I'd recommend getting a lawyer even if it just saved you the trip to court.

When my dh was at traffic court in McDowell County, some lawyers took pity on him and told him to plea "prayer for judgement". It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly it means that the ticket was put on hold for three years. If he got a ticket during that three year period, then both tickets would be activated. So, he didn't get a lawyer, but he definitely benefited from one.

I have heard of the prayer for judgement. I'm just not sure they would consider that since it is over 15 above the speed limit.

When I lived in NC I got a ticket, and got tons of letters from lawyers. I hired one and they took care of it. The lawyer even went to court for me so I didn't need to.

Sigh...A year later I got another speeding ticket (again in NC). I decided to go to court myself and see what the difference was. Neither of my speeding tickets were enough to do much damage. However, I had to go to court for the second ticket, and I didn't get the charges lowered. I'd recommend getting a lawyer even if it just saved you the trip to court.

Do you happen to remember the lawyer's name?

I just talked to an attorney. It will cost me $261.00 and that covers pulling my record, the attorney fees, and the court costs. They will get me a prayer for judgement or have the ticket reduced. It's up to me which one. They actually recommend the reduction. I think it will $261 well spent!!

ok....I got a speeding ticket three weeks ago. My court date is set for tomorrow afternoon. I was going 31 in a 15....(I had no idea the speed limit was 15 ...our neighborhood is two blocks over and its not 15) - anyway....I really haven't given this much of a thought until now. I figured I'd just show up, beg for mercy, ask for community service, ask for reduction, whatever they're willing to give me because basically we don't have the money to pay this ticket. DH has been out of work since last May. I did get one letter from an attorney and laughed because I couldn't believe he was soliciting work over a speeding ticket. That's how long it's been since I've gotten any ticket. How bad can it be? I mean, I did the crime....we have no money - I couldn't even hire a lawyer if I wanted to. sheeeesh.

ok....I got a speeding ticket three weeks ago. My court date is set for tomorrow afternoon. I was going 31 in a 15....(I had no idea the speed limit was 15 ...our neighborhood is two blocks over and its not 15) - anyway....I really haven't given this much of a thought until now. I figured I'd just show up, beg for mercy, ask for community service, ask for reduction, whatever they're willing to give me because basically we don't have the money to pay this ticket. DH has been out of work since last May. I did get one letter from an attorney and laughed because I couldn't believe he was soliciting work over a speeding ticket. That's how long it's been since I've gotten any ticket. How bad can it be? I mean, I did the crime....we have no money - I couldn't even hire a lawyer if I wanted to. sheeeesh.

Well, from what I understand you will have to pay court costs either way. Since you've never had a ticket, I think you can probably get some mercy. I don't know though. I've never done this either. Here, the basic court cost is $120 plus $25 for every 5 miles over the speed limit that you were going. So I am looking at about $200. I figure it is worth the extra $61 to make sure it gets dropped. Maybe if you call a lawyer, they can work out a payment plan with you or something. I don't know how much sympathy a judge will have if you can't pay the court costs.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

I just reread that your court date is tomorrow. Maybe you can go to court and ask for a continuance so that you can find a lawyer or work out the payment.

Nakia (and others),

I'm wondering about the consequences of speeding and its ability to deter it. My question is, will you continue to drive 66 in a 50 mph zone, or were you not aware of the speed limit? You haven't gotten a ticket in 12 years, is that because you rarely speed or because you haven't been picked up on radar?

If you had had your license taken away for 30 days, would that make you more prone to not speed, or would it make no difference?

Honestly, the main reason I try to keep my speed down is for fear of speeding tickets, not because I think I am unsafe driving 10 or 15 miles above the speed limit. The punishment for breaking the law actually keeps me in check, whereas, for issues such as murder and theft, I just don't do them because they are immoral and I have no desire to. I wouldn't stop wearing a seatbealt, for example, if the law changed.

So, do you think being able to reduce consequences for things like speeding keeps speeding more prevalent, or do you think there is no relationship?

Nakia (and others),

I'm wondering about the consequences of speeding and its ability to deter it. My question is, will you continue to drive 66 in a 50 mph zone, or were you not aware of the speed limit? You haven't gotten a ticket in 12 years, is that because you rarely speed or because you haven't been picked up on radar?

If you had had your license taken away for 30 days, would that make you more prone to not speed, or would it make no difference?

Honestly, the main reason I try to keep my speed down is for fear of speeding tickets, not because I think I am unsafe driving 10 or 15 miles above the speed limit. The punishment for breaking the law actually keeps me in check, whereas, for issues such as murder and theft, I just don't do them because they are immoral and I have no desire to. I wouldn't stop wearing a seatbealt, for example, if the law changed.

So, do you think being able to reduce consequences for things like speeding keeps speeding more prevalent, or do you think there is no relationship?

I am going to try and answer your questions without sounding rude. There a couple of reasons I was speeding, and not one of them is because I think I am above the law or the consequences of breaking the law. I know you didn't say that exactly in your post, but it sounds like that may be what you are getting at. I was driving in an unfamiliar area on a four lane highway so I didn't think the speed limit was that low. And I wasn't really paying attention to my speed because I had a sick crying child in the back that I was trying to calm, and I just wanted to get home. Did I behave appropriately? No. Did I deserve a speeding ticket? Yes. There is no denying that.

I usually go about 5 miles over the speed limit, as I am sure most people do. But things happen and people make mistakes. I just can't afford to lose my license. I have to work. And I am home six days a week by myself. If there was a need to go to the doctor or whatever, there is no one but me to get it done. I NEED my license so I hired an attorney to go to bat for me. This is my first offense in 12 years!!! I don't think it is appropriate for me to lose my license. Now, if I continue to speed and get caught, then that's different. Am I going to be more careful?? ABSOLUTELY!!

Actually, Nakia, you really didn't answer the question I was posing. I wasn't implying at all that you were above the law or that you needed to justify why you were speeding. This was a question about the effectiveness of consequences when the law was broken. I already admitted that the only reason I don't go 15 miles over the speed limit is b/c of the whole ticket thing.

I really don't think you (and the question was also posed to others) understand what I am asking. My son and I discuss these things often as he is pursuing a criminology degree.

I understand that the purpose of going to court is to show that this is the first offense in a period of time, etc -- to show that you are not an abuser of speed limits, and so forth. It makes perfect sense to me. I never knew before that you could even go to court for these things. The question is about how laws and consequences impact speeding (and really other laws as well).

Edited by nestof3

Ok, Dawn, let me try again. :001_smile:

Here is one of your questions: "So, do you think being able to reduce consequences for things like speeding keeps speeding more prevalent, or do you think there is no relationship?"

I obviously cannot answer for everyone who has ever broken the law, but for me, being able to reduce the consequences will not cause me to speed more frequently. I won't be thinking "Oh, hey, I got by with it once, I can again." What I am thinking is "Oh, crap, I better slow down so I can keep my license!"

Another question you asked: "If you had had your license taken away for 30 days, would that make you more prone to not speed, or would it make no difference?"

And my answer is it would definitely make more less prone to speed, but it would also make me less prone to buy groceries since I couldn't drive to work.

I think I answered the questions in your first paragraph in my previous post.