Menu

Best online writing program for high school?

I have had good success with home2teach.com. However I dont guarantee she would start your kids off on essay writing- most have to start with Paragraph writing. It includes a lot of grammar and is in depth. I like that the classes are 6 weeks long, so I could "try" one without too much risk or committment. I cant say DD was absolutely thrilled- because they really pushed her- she was fine though, no rebellion. I was very happy and intend to have her do more (we did 2 so far).

• 2 weeks later...

because the teacher was in the middle of changing her business.

This past year my son took an online advanced composition course with Rebekah Wilhelm who was in association with Debra Bell's group. But now she has started her own business... Laurel Tree Tutorials

Although the year was shorter, ie it ends at the end of April, my son did learn a lot more than if I had been teaching this....and there is an online forum where they critique each other's writing, which is great for students who don't have much of that type of thing in their neighborhood.

I can't say it is the best because we haven't tried anything else. But we are happy with it.

Best,

Joan

My daughter did WriteGuide (in 8th?) and Write@Home (high school). We were happy with them. She really needed the guidance from WriteGuide. She found Write@Home very easy. This after struggling with writing for years.

With my ds, next year for 9th, we're going with WriteGuide. Writing is his weakest area and he needs the handholding. We may switch to Write@Home at 11th or.... In fact, I'm pretty sure we'll do it before he graduates so he has the experience of that sort of writing class. But I really think the WriteGuide is a better fit for him for awhile.

Of course, he may take to it like my daughter did and need less handholding and guidance after just a few months. We'll see I guess.