Menu

Are you wireless?

I am a bit behind the times, but hey -- I'm sure I'm not the only one. What's the most economical way to go wireless? I have an amazing Mac laptop and would love to access the Internet without all the cords. I'd really love to take it anywhere and have Internet access, but I know that would be pretty expensive. What equipment do you use and roughly what was the cost?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am a bit behind the times, but hey -- I'm sure I'm not the only one. What's the most economical way to go wireless? I have an amazing Mac laptop and would love to access the Internet without all the cords. I'd really love to take it anywhere and have Internet access, but I know that would be pretty expensive. What equipment do you use and roughly what was the cost?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have a brand new iMac and it should be wireless. Unfortunately, there's a flaw in some part of the Mac software (it can affect the desktops and laptops) that makes it impossible for me to stay connected to the internet. Grrrr. Reading Mac forums had opened my eyes...I'm not alone. So, my lovely Mac is plugged in (not a big deal since it's a desktop, but still).

Anyway, you'll need a wireless router. Your Mac should have the software needed to connect...as long as it doesn't have the bug. No way to tell until your Mac gets weird...

ETA: the problem I'm referring to has to do with Airport, which is the wireless connect program in the Mac, I believe. Dh is the techy one, not I, lol.

Ria

Edited by Ria

It sounds like you are blending a few different technologies here. First off- wireless Internet access (in your home) requires broadband or DSL internet access ($30-50/month), a wireless router (not sure on the price) and a computer that is has a wireless card. Many desktops have the wireless card or the ability to add one. Laptops (unless they are old?) would also have this. Other than the initial equipment and the Internet access ( which you already pay for) there is no cost.

If you have a laptop, you can get Internet access anywhere that has Wifi. Many places are free, some are not. If you are not in a place with wifi, the only way to get access is through a cell phone company which can be quite expensive (I think somewhere around $50-75 a month on top of your cell bill).

I have a brand new iMac and it should be wireless. Unfortunately, there's a flaw in some part of the Mac software (it can affect the desktops and laptops) that makes it impossible for me to stay connected to the internet. Grrrr. Reading Mac forums had opened my eyes...I'm not alone. So, my lovely Mac is plugged in (not a big deal since it's a desktop, but still).

Anyway, you'll need a wireless router. Your Mac should have the software needed to connect...as long as it doesn't have the bug. No way to tell until your Mac gets weird...

Ria

That's a bummer Ria. We have an iMac and Macbook pro, both wireless. So are they not fixing this issue for you? I think I'd park myself in the Apple store till they fixed it. Or replaced it.

Mine is a brand new MacBook. Guess I should get out the user manual and take a look? :lol: I just assumed that I had to buy more stuff...but you say all I need to do is buy a router?

Lucinda

That's it! I'd either get the Apple Airport or a lynxis router. Nothing to do on your computer till you have the router. You will have to set up your network (make sure you put a password on it!) and after that, your MacBook will always be connected to your network.

That's a bummer Ria. We have an iMac and Macbook pro, both wireless. So are they not fixing this issue for you? I think I'd park myself in the Apple store till they fixed it. Or replaced it.

Well, from what I read on the Mac forums (on the Apple site, no less), Apple has yet to formally acknowledge the problem. It's real, and I expect they'll come up with a patch for the problem at some point. For now it's not an issue for me, but I felt really sorry for some of the posters...one guy said he had 2 or 3 MacBooks and had to use his pc if he wanted to get on the internet. Poor guy.

Ria

Well, from what I read on the Mac forums (on the Apple site, no less), Apple has yet to formally acknowledge the problem. It's real, and I expect they'll come up with a patch for the problem at some point. For now it's not an issue for me, but I felt really sorry for some of the posters...one guy said he had 2 or 3 MacBooks and had to use his pc if he wanted to get on the internet. Poor guy.

Ria

I'd contact Apple directly and tell them about it. That's not acceptable and they need to fix it. I've never had an issue with Apple tech support before; I hope their customer service isn't souring. Nothing worse than a sour apple. :lol: (Sorry, couldn't help myself).

That is a total bummer Ria. We (my Dad and I) had issues when we first got our macs - but that weekend we went thru 4 wireless routers and finally ended up with the Airport Extreme that worked. Oh that was a horrid weekend...... (and it wasn't just the Mac's having issues... and the Belkin probably would have been recoverable, but the level 2 tech people work M-F 9-5, and it was friday at 7..... no help for us)

10.5.7 should be really close with the new Macs that got released on Tuesday, hopefully that has the fix.

To the OP - my Airport Extreme routers are pretty darn easy to set up and use. After having tried 3 brands in the same weekend.... i'm sticking with the Apple one! LOL!!! (I have the Extreme and a 500gb Time Capsule which just ROCKS, i love it!!!)

Ria: Make sure you have applied this stuff - maybe it has the fix!

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/03/apple-issues-airport-admin-utility-and-client-software-updates/

Edited by TraceyS/FL

That's it! I'd either get the Apple Airport or a lynxis router. Nothing to do on your computer till you have the router. You will have to set up your network (make sure you put a password on it!) and after that, your MacBook will always be connected to your network.

This is all very confusing...we currently have a cable modem for our Internet (Comcast) and we have a network router in place for our family computers. So how can I hook into my existing network and still go wireless? And where does the Airport fit into all this? Can I use the Airport in conjunction to what is already set up for our network?

:lol: Lucinda

This is all very confusing...we currently have a cable modem for our Internet (Comcast) and we have a network router in place for our family computers. So how can I hook into my existing network and still go wireless? And where does the Airport fit into all this? Can I use the Airport in conjunction to what is already set up for our network?

You can take and plug the wireless router (Airport Extreme or Express - or Brand X) into the router and set it up that way. OR, you can replace your current router with the wireless one. The wireless devices all have wired ports also.

ONe of my most used fav features of the Apple is the fact that you can plug a USB printer in and use it on the network that way! You can also on the Extreme plug in a USB hard drive and have it for network file storage.

The Express device is nice if you travel - you can easily take it and give yourself wireless in a hotel room!

It was a bit of a challenge setting it up at first but now it works great. Our windows desktop is directly connected to the router. A few weeks later I got my Macbook which found the router all on its own and set up. I have had no problems. I have the router password protected but not the network. I haven't been able to figure it out yet. We also have a windows laptop that works fine with the router.

Internet modem to the router, router to the desktop, desktop downloads the firmware if you need it, key code comes up, set up network with network wizard. Turn on laptop, it should find the frequency on its own. Follow instructions to enter key code. Move on to next laptop.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...
It was a bit of a challenge setting it up at first but now it works great. Our windows desktop is directly connected to the router. A few weeks later I got my Macbook which found the router all on its own and set up. I have had no problems. I have the router password protected but not the network. I haven't been able to figure it out yet. We also have a windows laptop that works fine with the router.

Did you get a wireless router, or what was the Dlink called, we have to buy one. We have 2 Window Vista Pc and one Mac laptop.

It is a Dlink DIR-615. Wireless connections are a Windows XP laptop and my Macbook. We don't have any Vista operating systems but I would think it would be fine. Our Wii also connects to it. I do not have it locked so if you drive by my house you could connect to it but I do have the router itself password protected. If you have close neighbors or live in town, I would recommend locking it - that is where key codes and all that comes into play.