Menu

Questions for classical music lovers

What do you consider to be essential pieces of classical music? I want to introduce my DSs- almost 5 and 2 months to classical music. I was going to purchase baby einstein and then I thought why not just introduce them to the real deal. Anyways what composers/compositions should I purchase? I am going to buy from iTunes and I have only 20 dollars. I am going to purchase for myself Handel's Messiah and I already have Vivaldi Seasons. Also is there any music you like to listen to at Easter?

For little ones, even the ones as young as your age, I would start with the Classical Kids CD series. I bought the entire set, and we listened to them over and over again. These CD's usually select the most well-known works of classical music by each composer.

I just re-read your message, and noted that you want to buy from I-Tunes. I'm not that familiar with I-Tunes, but I would do a search for the Classical Kids series and buy from I-Tunes, if it's available. Start with Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach, and then move on to Handel, Tschaikovsky, and the others.

HTH!

I would get Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart - I remember being introduced to it in elementary school and I still enjoy it today.

Although he's not truley "classical", Gershwin (start with Rhaposdy in Blue maybe) was another composer that I enjoyed as a youngster.

And my kids love the first few tracks from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

HTH!

I'm a violinist and teach not only violin, but beginning music and theater classes, and the following are what I love and use because the music tells a story and is easy to connect with:

• Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf is the most obvious to start with as it has a narrator who tells the story
  • Tchaikovsky's ballet music was my personal favorite when I was a preschooler -- Nutcracker, Swan Lake & Cinderella. His 1812 Overture is big and dramatic, too, perfect for boys.
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice -- yes Disney made a cartoon of it in Fantasia, but it was originally a story by Goethe!!
  • All the other Fantasia music is wonderful to listen to as well -- there is a reason the animators chose it for experimenting with the marriage of music and animated art. The Rite of Spring music is perfect for playing with your collections of toy dinosaurs!
  • Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade (sp? I haven't had coffee yet!) tells her story through the violin and harp, then tells several of the stories from the 1001 Arabian Nights. There is no text, you get to make up the story by listening to what the music tells you.
  • Beethoven's Fifth Symphony was always fun to listen to, when I was a kid.
  • Mendlessohn's Italian symphony is a blast too -- I used to put it on when we'd have pizza for dinner and sing nonsense about pizza to the melody.

I always include movie soundtracks because some of the best symphonic music is written today for the movies, and the music is designed to advance the story. Each character has a musical theme, and there is underscoring to cue you to the mood of a scene. When my kids were toddlers, we'd listen in the car to the score from the Lion King movie and talk about what might be happening in the movie based on how the music sounds. It sounds like Simba is running, oh he must be back at Pride Rock. John Williams' scores for Star Wars and Harry Potter are great -- listen to the themes for the main characters and talk about if they are fast or slow, or sad or happy.

By the way, for you movie and music geeks out there, there is a moment of musical foreshadowing in Anakin's theme from the Star Wars: Phantom Menace. If you listen all the way through the lush and beautiful Anakin's theme, it resolves at the end of a phrase into the notes from the Darth Vader march.

Finally, there is a terrific set of story books that come with cds of complete musical works by Anna Harwell Celenza. And the Classics for Kids mentioned by Michelle are another easy introduction.

Listen in the car, dance to the music, draw to the music, make up stories as you listen to the music. Don't make it like eating vegetables -- music is about joy and passion, whether classical or pop, so make it a joyful part of your day.

My kids loved Handel. In addition to Messiah, you might look for Water Music and Music For The Royal Fireworks.

We also like Beethoven's Sonata NO. 14 (Moonlight Sonata).

And some of Mozart's piano concertos.

I also love Bach's unaccompanied cello suites.

Have you checked your public library? I get lots of cd's from the library, so we can listen to many different works by various composers without having to purchase anything.

Also, the Themes to Remeber series by Marjorie Kiel Persons (by Classical Magic) are a great place to start. These book & cd combos introduce famous themes from important composers throughout history and help kids memorize them. Short biographies of each composer are included. We have used the first book in the series as a starting point. We read the bio, memorize the themes, and then check out cd's from the library which contain the complete works from which the themes are excerpted and other works by the composer. We also listen to the Classical Kids cd's. Many of them are available at our library, so you might check the library first before you buy. Good luck!

Peter and the Wolf is a MUST for that age!!!! http://www.amazon.com/Sergei-Prokofievs-Peter-Wolf-Fully-Orchestrated/dp/0375824308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236089772&sr=1-1

This is another! http://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Animals-Classical-Music-Kids/dp/0805061800/ref=pd_sim_m_1

Other than that, get Mozart, Beethoven and Bach. When you put the music on say "Let's listen to some Mozart ......" That way your dc will naturally learn the characteristics of the composers.

What do you consider to be essential pieces of classical music? I want to introduce my DSs- almost 5 and 2 months to classical music. I was going to purchase baby einstein and then I thought why not just introduce them to the real deal. Anyways what composers/compositions should I purchase? I am going to buy from iTunes and I have only 20 dollars. I am going to purchase for myself Handel's Messiah and I already have Vivaldi Seasons. Also is there any music you like to listen to at Easter?

My favorite is Beethoven. Most any Beethoven. All Beethoven.

Read Classical Music for Dummies. It covers the basic familiar pieces that have been listed in this thread as well as others. The narrative is hilarious and makes classical music VERY approachable. Highly recommended!

It is a gentle introduction to classical music and has catchy words to many commonly heard classical music pieces. After listening to those, I would then have them listen to the *real* music. Themes is so engaging, I think it would spur their enthusiasm.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I had forgotten about Peter and the Wolf-my oldest will love that! DS1 takes after his father and has musical abilities- unfortunately I really don't have an affinity for music. DS2 loves it when I dance with him to music. Thankfully he is not a critic of my dancing ability.:)

• Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf is the most obvious to start with as it has a narrator who tells the story

• Tchaikovsky's ballet music was my personal favorite when I was a preschooler -- Nutcracker, Swan Lake & Cinderella. His 1812 Overture is big and dramatic, too, perfect for boys.

• Sorcerer's Apprentice -- yes Disney made a cartoon of it in Fantasia, but it was originally a story by Goethe!!

• All the other Fantasia music is wonderful to listen to as well -- there is a reason the animators chose it for experimenting with the marriage of music and animated art. The Rite of Spring music is perfect for playing with your collections of toy dinosaurs!

• Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade (sp? I haven't had coffee yet!) tells her story through the violin and harp, then tells several of the stories from the 1001 Arabian Nights. There is no text, you get to make up the story by listening to what the music tells you.

• Beethoven's Fifth Symphony was always fun to listen to, when I was a kid.

• Mendlessohn's Italian symphony is a blast too -- I used to put it on when we'd have pizza for dinner and sing nonsense about pizza to the melody.

I always include movie soundtracks because some of the best symphonic music is written today for the movies, and the music is designed to advance the story. Each character has a musical theme, and there is underscoring to cue you to the mood of a scene. When my kids were toddlers, we'd listen in the car to the score from the Lion King movie and talk about what might be happening in the movie based on how the music sounds. It sounds like Simba is running, oh he must be back at Pride Rock. John Williams' scores for Star Wars and Harry Potter are great -- listen to the themes for the main characters and talk about if they are fast or slow, or sad or happy.

By the way, for you movie and music geeks out there, there is a moment of musical foreshadowing in Anakin's theme from the Star Wars: Phantom Menace. If you listen all the way through the lush and beautiful Anakin's theme, it resolves at the end of a phrase into the notes from the Darth Vader march.

Think Williams studied his Wagner??;) I'm one of those music nerds who actually enjoyed watching every hour of the Met's production of Wagner's Der Ring des Niebelungen. One of my favorite classes from university was an in-depth study of both the Nordic/Germanic myths which made up the Ring and the Ring cycle itself.

And to answer the OP's question -- the above is a great start!! Really any of the Beethoven, Mozart, or Haydn symphonies, Bach's Brandenburg concerti, any of the famous composers of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries would be a great place to start. You mentioned Handel's Messiah -- Bach has wonderful cantatas, his two magnificent Passions (I'm a St. John Passion person myself -- and, hey, it's Lent; perfect for a Passion), Vivaldi's Gloria, Mozart's masses (he composed several), etc, etc, etc.

I'm a vocalist; obviously I prefer the great choral pieces. :)

Have fun choosing music!

Also is there any music you like to listen to at Easter?

Is it Rimsy-Korsykov(wow, I really cannot spell sorry :tongue_smilie:) who did Russian Easter Overture. I really really love that piece. We are doing Classical Music for Dummies in our Classical Conversations group and the children are enjoying it very much. Just don't let them read the text. It is a bit PG-13. KWIM? :D Also, I found a great, and I mean bring you to tears great performance by the Berlin Orchestra of the 1812 Oveture. My kids 10-3 were glued to their seats watching it. HTH.