Menu

Does anyone skip spelling?

nandmsmom

If one of my 3 dds were an only child, I would never have bothered to start. However, her twin sister desperately needed spelling, so I started them both as to not make the other feel like a dummy.

Now she won't let me drop it with her, as it's her favorite thing to do (it's great when you get everything right every time). But I switched her to Spelling Wisdom this year.

For some children, spelling is unnecessary. My oldest is a natural speller. He did spelling workout B, C and D in first grade and then I decided this is a waste of his time. He sees a word once and he knows it.

My dd, on the other hand, is still plugging away at spelling. That's homeschooling--do what your dc need.

No harm done. My 8 yo dd gets pretested on the words in her spelling book before she even sees them. She almost always gets them all right. If she spells it wrong out loud I have her write it down. Then she sees the mistake and fixes it herself. We'll be skipping spelling next year. Sometimes her 5 yo brother spells them too. I don't think I'll even *start* a spelling program with him.

Darla

I am preparing for a return to HS next year. My child is presently in 5th grade. They have virtually dropped spelling at this grade in our school system. I'm not happy about it but try to help correct mistakes and especially work on the words that sound the same but are used differently. As HS we used SWR and always had a hard time fitting it in, although my child was fascinated to learn about word origins and especially why words didn't always have phonetic spellings.

I do think some students are better at spelling than others, especially strong readers that learn visually.

HTH,

Annette

But, we love spelling and vocabulary studies! We pre-test each lesson and "play" with the words a little before moving on to the next lesson. We use BJU Spelling grades 1 thru 6 then switch to A Beka Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry. The kids just move through the series at their own pace. We also work through Vocabulary from Classical Roots books. The kids are all terrific spellers.

Ds hasn't done spelling as a separate subject in years, and he just did quite well at the district level in the local spelling bee. I feel quite certain that *if* he had studied (more than in the car on the way to the bee! rolling my eyes), he could have made it to state. In fact, we've discussed whether we want to add spelling back in, so that he could have a chance of being competitive at state next year.

But other than the spelling bee? He just doesn't need it as a separate subject. If he misspells a word in his writing, I point it out and he corrects it and he rarely makes the same mistake again.

My *daughter*, on the other hand, still works on spelling daily. She's getting better, but she's got a long way to go. I wouldn't skip spelling with her because it isn't coming naturally (yet). For ds, there are just so many other, more productive ways to spend that 15 minutes a day!

My dd(12) is an excellent speller. Because of that, I had not been asking her to do any kind of spelling work. Then I noticed she started making spelling mistakes here and there. Her spelling is, to be honest, better than most adults I know. However, I figured if she can naturally spell that well, think how great a speller she'll be with a little work.

We started going through the spelling list from the Scott Foresman (sp?) site. I just run through a list or two on Monday and she gets whatever words she spells incorrectly for spelling words. Truthfully, this usually adds up to about five words out of fifty, but I'm getting an idea of what kinds of words she misspells.

Jeannie

My dd8 has never done spelling. She's a natural speller. If she makes a mistake (which rarely happens) I correct her and it's right forever.

My ds7 is going to begin a spelling program this week. He is not the natural speller.

We never did much spelling and finally just dropped it. In a recent writing exercise, my son figured out how to spell "polytheistic" from knowing roots and suffixes. He reads a lot, above his age level, and mostly spells words correctly. If this were not the case, I would probably look into using Phonetic Zoo.