Menu

a new theory about how ancient civilization formed?

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?

There was a brief mention of this article in Smithsonian back in November. I didn't see it then, but stumbled across it recently. For archaeology or history buffs, this is some fascinating stuff.

This site "is massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years."

It raises many interesting questions, including: "To Schmidt and others, these new findings suggest a novel theory of civilization. Scholars have long believed that only after people learned to farm and live in settled communities did they have the time, organization and resources to construct temples and support complicated social structures. But Schmidt argues it was the other way around: the extensive, coordinated effort to build the monoliths literally laid the groundwork for the development of complex societies."

Be sure to check out the photos too -- there are some beautiful carvings on these stones.

Stacia, along those same lines (and I WILL check out that link), you must read Fingerprints of the Gods, by Graham Hancock. I am a committed Christian, but the authors teasing out of ideas regarding the earliest parts of history are fascinating and really, dont clash with Christianity. Not in my book anyway - a wonderful read.

Thanks for the link!

I haven't read the link yet, but will.

I just wanted to say that the first thing I told dd when we started our study of the ancients (last week) was that everything is a theory. We don't really know because we weren't there and we can only interpret what we find BY WHAT WE KNOW OURSELVES. And so we are limited because we are already used to thinking a certain way. We are used to buying all our food from a store, we have grown up in a country that believes in one male god, we turn on a tap for our water, etc......

So many things are misinterpreted historically speaking.

For instance the word worship.

Were they worshiping or celebrating?

We've grown up in a world of fearing the diety we pray to.

Maybe they didn't fear their dieties and it was a celebration.

Stacia, along those same lines (and I WILL check out that link), you must read Fingerprints of the Gods, by Graham Hancock. I am a committed Christian, but the authors teasing out of ideas regarding the earliest parts of history are fascinating and really, dont clash with Christianity. Not in my book anyway - a wonderful read.

Thanks for the link!

If you are interested in this book, I can recommend several other like it. These books fall in my "alternative history" section of the bookshelves.

I have probably read them, but yeah, recommend away!!:)

Well, if you have done a lot of reading on this subject, then you are probably familiar with most of these but the big names are:

Graham Hancock

Robert Bauval

Temple (first name escapes me right now)

Christopher Knight

Zacharia Sitchen (little father out there than the rest)

Andrew Collins

And a book called: The Hidden History of the Human Race