Menu

My daughter was assigned a book that I find inappropriate

My daugher's school only "differentiates" for AG reading. So far that has been a two week class on making wiki pages for non-fiction books in 1st quarter.

Now they finally get a "book club" pullout. However, the book assigned to them is Sahara Special. I read the book after she mentioned some inappropriate words being in it. It has at least ten curse words in it and it has a statement mentioning hookers. On top of that, it's character often speak with poor grammar that goes with urban culture. It has a decent underlying story but the misunderstood student and savior teacher theme is better written elsewhere.

Sigh, now I have to go in and talk to staff about why she did not do her homework this weekend (read 7 chapters and do a worksheet) and ask them to assign her a different book. I just hope it goes smoothly.

Good for you. It's hard to go against the tide, but when you don't...the school thinks that either no ones looking...or no one cares.

We are pulling our daughter from the 8th grade health class. We have no problem with her learning information about different choices, but we don't approve of the setting. We have a huge issue with mixed gender classes for health subjects.

I've had some problems with the books, too, but she's my step-daughter so I'm not as involved. (We have her half time.) Her mom is the exact opposite..so we have to be careful:-)

BUT, I'm very happy for you to keep the bar high for your daughter's reading material at school. You want your kids "eating meat" not "candy". (reading good material)

Carrie:-)

Yikes, in 4th grade? I can't believe that they would want children to read stuff with bad language at that age. There has to be something else that would be more appropriate. I know that on my teacher certification test, the "right" answer to a child wanting to read a book different from the class was to go ahead and let them. That went against my normal thinking(like if a kid was just bored with a book or whatever), but in this situation, I totally agree that you should be able to find another book. If it goes against your family's morals and it's not age appropriate, I'd request something new and I hope your dd is not penalized for not doing her assignment.

It is a Scholastic book and according to Scholastic site online, this book is for grades 3-6. On Amazon, teachers are recommending it as a great read aloud. Kids give it great reviews but I suspect it is kids who have little exposure to great literature and love the novelty of so many curse words. Most of the favorable adult review are teachers. I doubt many parents have read it. I will bet I am only parent in my child's AG pullout to have read it.

The writing is mediocre and the moral values is heavy handed. It rambles and the vocabulary is not stretching by any means. The storyline okay but nothing new. In our case, it was probably chosen because our school only assigns books with minority protagonists and particularly like books that capture the essence of urban life (It's a magnet school in a low income area of the city)

There are so many good books out there for children that it frustrates me that this is the best they can do for differentiated reading.

Edited by AuntPol

I would be aggravated with the cuss words in elementary school, but not with urban grammar. Unless you write unrealistically, characters would express thoughts in the way they do in life. I think that it is an important cultural experience for kids to develop an "ear" for other ways of speaking. It's not like it's going to rub off on your daughter. I wouldn't mention that part in your request to have her read another book.

I would be aggravated with the cuss words in elementary school, but not with urban grammar. Unless you write unrealistically, characters would express thoughts in the way they do in life. I think that it is an important cultural experience for kids to develop an "ear" for other ways of speaking. It's not like it's going to rub off on your daughter. I wouldn't mention that part in your request to have her read another book.

Poor grammar is only a minor irritation for me. The curse words are bigger issue. I can deal with an occasional word used in the other context, like jacka$$ for mule or ***** for a female dog (as in the Roman Mysteries) or maybe one sole curse word in an otherwise well written book (like Harry Potter). This book has at least ten words in it's 174 poorly written pages. The hooker reference is probably my biggest issue. Gosh, we are just at the age of explaining periods and just touching on sex and now I have to explain how some women have sex for money? I don't think so.

Poor grammar wouldn't bother me if it were one book and the majority of the other books had proper grammar and the book was just a small bit of exposure to other cultures. However, this is an inner city magnet school. The student population is 70% low income. My daughter spends the majority of her day in class with students AND TEACHERS who speak this way. MOST poetry and literature and reading assignments tend to reflect this way of speaking. My husband and I have spent the last five years fighting an uphill battle with her grammar. It's one of the many reasons we are homeschooling her next year.

Good for you. I would consider it totally inappropriate for a 4th grader too. It might be a good idea to take a couple of appropriate books with you when you talk to the school. Not only to show the difference, but so that the teacher has some other options right at her/his fingertips (literally) so it's not giving the teacher the added burden of researching another book to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a second. Your kids are 9 and 8 and your daughter was assigned a book with cuss words and a hooker in it??

I'm no prude -- I live in wacky California and all that -- but that's ridiculous.

Actually, I was letting my boys watch an episode of Little House on the Prairie and a lady of the night (as she was called) had a long enough scene with Charles (where he turned her down).

But the hooker was implying that Mary was his date for the evening even after he explained that Mary was his daughter.

I didn't remember Little House having stuff like that in it. The book series certainly doesn't.

My boys kept saying, "WHOSE THAT?!" I said, "oh, that lady just got the wrong hotel room." :001_huh:

Crazy. Good luck -- we're all with you.

Alicia

The book didn't have an actual hooker but it referenced hookers.

Here are some of the issues I have:

The main character's cousin gets lip gloss to wear on Sundays only. Her mom tells her that she isn't getting it because "the only reason a girl your age should wear make up is if she's a rock star or a hooker, and the minute you start showing promise in either of those areas we'll hop on down to Target and stock you up with everything you need."

Then when new teacher comes, she tells class that her name is Madame Poiter. She mentions that some kids just call her Madame. One kid says "My d--- what?" and she replies "Your d--- teacher".

Violent kid refers to his mother as a "bich" several times in his journal. Teacher tells him to write "bi t ch" ten times to learn the proper spelling and then never write it again.

Mother of violent kid interupts class and starts yelling at teacher, saying that teacher called her son a "jacka$$" in class. After the students explain that this was untrue, she walks up and hits her son and says "Maybe you are a jacka$$".

The character speak often in street language, calling each other fool and stupid, poor grammar, etc. I understand that this is reflective of the culture being written about. However, being that my child goes to school where the majority of the children are of that culture, she experiences it all day long, she doesn't need to read about it too.

We got her book changed to Penderwicks and she is doing that book with her regular teacher and will rejoin the book club next week. Many of the other kids are jealous that she got out of it because none of them seem to like the book. Really, I think the only kids who would like the book are teachers who like the teacher saves a minority student theme and lower end academic kids who are impressed with the idea of curse words and had no exposure to good literature.

BTW, this is Wake County Schoools. The same county that the judge is ordering those kids to public schools to get a more well rounded education.

BTW, this is Wake County Schoools. The same county that the judge is ordering those kids to public schools to get a more well rounded education.

I have read this whole thread, horrified that schools would dismiss quality literature for junk like this. I came to your last paragraph here and about spit my iced tea all over the 'puter!!!! (I live in Wake Co ) Thanks for a preview of what my kids are missing out on:tongue_smilie:

Bravo to you for standing up and getting her book switched. Wake Co is a great place to HS btw. TONS of opportunities/co-ops/b&m hs stores.....good library system.

Wake Co is a great place to HS btw. TONS of opportunities/co-ops/b&m hs stores.....good library system.

Yes it is!

I homeschool my other child who is in 3rd grade. He on the other hand has read Pilgrim's Progress, Robin Hood, Chronicles of Narnia, Phantom Tollbooth, Half Magic, Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Frindle, and is working on Lord of the Rings series.

The child in this thread will be homeschooled beginning in three weeks.

Personally, I would talk to other parents and let them know what's in the book. Maybe if the school gets several parents talking to them about it, they will see the importance of changing it for all the children. I can't imagine that you would be the only person who thinks this is inappropriate.

Yes it is!

I homeschool my other child who is in 3rd grade. He on the other hand has read Pilgrim's Progress, Robin Hood, Chronicles of Narnia, Phantom Tollbooth, Half Magic, Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Frindle, and is working on Lord of the Rings series.

The child in this thread will be homeschooled beginning in three weeks.

I'm glad you can pull her out!

:001_smile:

I’m also glad that you will be able to homeschool her. Having control of what children read is important. We need to teach our kids how to pick out good literature and how some books are a waste of time.

:iagree: Even having two doing online school and not in control of curriculum. If I dont know a book, I preread, and if content is way too mature, I contact teacher for options.

It was Sahara Special.

If you look on Amazon, it gets high ratings from teachers and kids. I have to wonder about that because all of M's friends complained about the book and found it boring. I found it a mediocre to poor book without the other issues. I am assuming that those that wouldn't like this book wouldn't even pick it up anyway though.

• 4 weeks later...
I have read this whole thread, horrified that schools would dismiss quality literature for junk like this. I came to your last paragraph here and about spit my iced tea all over the 'puter!!!! (I live in Wake Co ) Thanks for a preview of what my kids are missing out on:tongue_smilie:

Bravo to you for standing up and getting her book switched. Wake Co is a great place to HS btw. TONS of opportunities/co-ops/b&m hs stores.....good library system.

Me too!!! I live in Chatham Co. and all along I was thinking urban as in LA or NYC or something!:lol:

• 4 weeks later...