Menu

a weird thing happened to me at the library today....

This morning I took a long walk, and ended up at the library, where I had some books waiting on reserve. Since they weren't open yet, I sat on the cold bench and waited.

This guy about my age came up the steps with books for the drop box and smiled and looked at me in a sort of "what are you doing?" kinda way, so I said, sorta perkily, "Gosh, I didn't plan my walk very well. I got here too early."

He took out his phone and said, "Six minutes. Can you make it?"

I said, "Sure, it's a nice morning, I can wait."

Then he very quickly said, "Got your kids with you?" and I said, "No!" because, frankly, I was thankful to be away from the house.

Then right quickety-snip he said, "You married?" and that confused me, but I said, "Yup!" in the same way I'd said, "No!".

It was a rapid fire exchange and it took me aback. Afterwords I felt a little tricked, like he caught me off guard and extracted information out of me that really isn't any of his business. It made me feel icky. He went away, and I went into the library, thinking, what just happened? Then a while later, when I was checking my books out, he was behind me in line with his son. I felt like he was following me. Again, felt creepy.

I'm sure he's totally harmless, but really. What was that about?

:svengo:

I guess the thing that worries me is the idea that I might have been too friendly, like I have an "available" badge. I feel like we aught to be able to be civil and convivial without inviting, um, overtures (as my dad used to say).

But I'll take a deep breath and let it go.

Nah. You were out on a Sunday morning with no kids. That can go either way. But some guys just think they are god's gift to women, and who wouldn't want a piece of them? So that's their standard operating procedure! And for some guys, having kids with you, even wedding rings, doesn't always deter them.

On the other hand, he could have just been being friendly. Sometimes I think we forget people are like that anymore.

But yeah, take as a positive for your day and tell yourself "I've still got it!"

Ok, now, so, if you were an intelligent single guy, where would you rather pick up women? In a bar? In a supermarket? Or at a library where a pretty woman was waiting, having WALKED there?

You've been out of the game too long, darlin'! ;-D

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok, now, so, if you were an intelligent single guy, where would you rather pick up women? In a bar? In a supermarket? Or at a library where a pretty woman was waiting, having WALKED there?

Holy smokes, you're funny! So you're saying the dating scene has changed quite a bit then, since 1990?

I love the way your mind works! :lol: He saw an intelligent, patient, and sweet tempered woman. If he was single, then he was simply smart enough to know not to pass up a possible opportunity. (If he was married, well then I have not so nice things to say about him and "smart" wouldn't be one of them!)

Oh, probably not. Just that you're so rusty at it, you don't recognize when a man is angling for whether or not to ask you for your phone number! LOL

But we have so many more "portals" for rejection now than we did 20 years ago! I just saw the trailer for He's Just Not That Into You. Jeez, I'd hate to be dating now.