Menu

Favorite toys for age 6 months to 1 year?

Any particularly good toys you recommend? We're really not big on toys here and don't have a lot of them, but we NEED some things to keep my little wiggler occupied! He's started rolling, and now he's into EVERYTHING. We've been working on the floor together, so we could keep him company, but instead it's turned into him chewing our papers, finding pencils, etc. And I thought about some sort of play pen or cage (those walls you buy?), but I don't know what I'd put in there to entertain him. So far he pretty much has things that are straightforward, things that rattle or that you chew. Today we got out a bin of old toys from dd, and the one with the 5 pop-ups (crank, dial, twist, and pop they go), he could do immediately! Does that mean he's a genius? I don't know, lol, I just thought maybe something with some more intellectual stimulation might suit him.

Any thoughts on your ultimate favs? I'd even be open to making things, since of course free is the ultimate price point these days. I'm just not quite sure what I'm looking for.

ps. He chews and puts everything in his mouth.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I was able to pick up several items from Discovery Toys (a DT shower) and then at garage sales. The toys are designed for certain ages and are really made for little ones. Look at their website and then start looking for them at garage sales. This is the time of the year for consignment sales around here.

pots and pans and a wooden spoon? as long as you don't mind the noise. plastic measuring cups..most do stack. tupperware/rubbermaid containers that stack.nest...with or without lids. we just usually found stuff around the house to keep them busy..it was always odd things, sometimes colorful or shiny...always with no small parts, but just regular household stuff. Even jello molds and different shaped cake pans would be played with. Nothing we had would ever work for too long though...1/2 an hour would be great!

As soon as mine could sit up, I sat them in a Boppy pillow with 2-3 toys within arms' reach.

Can you put baby in the highchair with a sippy cup of water and a toy that suctions to the tray? Then school at the table near-by.

Mine never liked the playpen type contraptions, but liked bouncer seats/swings especially if I could hang little toys to play with - AND change out the toys so they didn't get bored with them.