Menu

What do you do with hs materials given to you?

I have been given a bunch of old books, workbooks, etc. Please know that I am very grateful to have them. I know some, if not all, of these are quality material. However, I don't need them right now. Some might have some good things for dd in the next few years and some things might be good for ds(1) when he's old enough to "do school" as a preschooler. I just can't decide whether to keep it all or pass some on. And if I decide not to keep it all, how do I decide what to keep? How have you handled this?

Laura in Va gave me some wonderful materials that I can really use, and some equally wonderful ones I can't. I will probably try to sell the ones I can't use, and send her the $.

If I didn't have contact with the person who gave me things, I'd probably just pass them on. Your one year old could turn out to need something totally different from what you have, or there might be something new on the market by then--unless it's classic literature or some "classic" text (like Rod and Staff or Saxon, for example), I'd bag it all up and send it on.

We're involved in an active home school group. We have a "free pile" where people drop materials (mostly curriculum, clothes, books, but sometimes household items, toys, games, etc) and others take them. It has been fantastic. It helps us clear out items we no longer need, or find treasures we otherwise might have spent money on.

If you have a home school group that meets regularly in any capacity, I strongly recommend starting a "free box" of some sort. (Anything not claimed gets dropped at Good Will.)

I am no help at all - I keep everything at this point - and have the boxes in the garage and full bookshelves in the house to prove it.

You might just choose to get rid of anything you just don't like - you probably will not like it any better in the future and if you don't like it you probably will not use it unless you are totally desperate.

I'd plan on waiting to get rid of the preschool stuff until you arre pastthat age in your family, because you never know what they will like and my experience is that you can never have too much preschool stuff if they have older siblings.

I have not read all replies but when people give me things I do the exact same thing when I'm done with them~give them away.

I send an email out to our homeschool group asking if anyone is interested in the items and go from there.

Or

You could donate them.