Menu

Anyone use WWE without the workbooks?

langfam

I bought the text without the workbooks because DD10 is too old for the ones that are available. We worked quickly through level 3 and are now about half way through level 4. It's working great and I'm really noticing that DD is getting better and better at dictations and narrations. At the beginning of the year I wasn't sure if she'd be ready for logic stage work, but now I know she will be.

BTW, I will purchase the workbooks for DD2 when she is ready, because I find it's always nice to have all the work of sourcing out narrations and dictations done for me.

HTH, Lana.

I am not using the workbook. I find it incredibly easy to find the copywork and narration passages on my own, and I am not one of those super-experienced, super-organized, super homeschooling moms. I never even looked at the workbooks because after reading the text I felt like I had a good handle on what I needed to do, so to me, the workbooks wouldn't be worth the money spent.

It took me three hours to plan the first month. Now I plan weekly and it takes me <15 minutes, and that includes both writing out the copywork for dd to copy AND finding the passages for her to narrate from. In fact, I forgot to find a narration passage for today, so I just flipped open a history book we're reading and selected a passage. It worked great.

Tara

I'm using the workbook with my youngest because it's available. My oldest is working in Level 4, thus no workbook. I actually think a workbook for him would be a bad idea because he doesn't like the types of passages that Susan assigns. He really dislikes fantasy, so I have to be careful about overloading him with that. I'm choosing passages for him from the history books he is using, Aesop's Fables, and Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin. My youngest son is not so sensitive and I think he'll be fine with the workbooks. I really like the convenience of the workbook but my older needed me to choose his passages, so it's working out fine.

My ds is in Level 1 using the workbook, and my dd is in Level 3 without the workbook. I find that for me personally, the workbook ensures that it gets done, because it's just open and go. If I'm having a day where something is going to get dropped, it's the Level 3 because I have to find my own material.

Of course, if I had a large chunk of time to pull together all the selections for all the weeks in Level 3, that would make it open and go. I just haven't had that time (we started in Jan.).

So for me, yes, the workbook is well worth the cost. I would definitely buy one for Level 3 if it was available now!

Holly

My ds is in Level 1 using the workbook, and my dd is in Level 3 without the workbook. I find that for me personally, the workbook ensures that it gets done, because it's just open and go. If I'm having a day where something is going to get dropped, it's the Level 3 because I have to find my own material.

Of course, if I had a large chunk of time to pull together all the selections for all the weeks in Level 3, that would make it open and go. I just haven't had that time (we started in Jan.).

So for me, yes, the workbook is well worth the cost. I would definitely buy one for Level 3 if it was available now!

Holly

Doesn't Amazon have it? :001_unsure: I know: it's not PHP.

Are the workbooks worth the price, if you're using them?

TIA:)

To me they are totally worth it.

I had to try and find the selections while we were waiting for level 2 workbook to come out last fall and it made me crazy! It took me a long time to try and find things that met the requirements. I have already bought Workbook one for next year and will be buying #3 as soon as it comes out.

I'm not using the workbooks and I'm glad because, having worked through the sample lesson in the book with the kids, I'm finding that I am now doing those same things after reading our other literature etc. Then we do the copywork/dictation/narration exercises based on what we were already reading. I'm finding that the writing then becomes an extension of our reading rather than a separate 'activity'.

I did read ahead a fair bit in WWE before we started with it and I think it helped me be aware of what skills we were targeting at the different levels.

I am not using the workbook. I find it incredibly easy to find the copywork and narration passages on my own, and I am not one of those super-experienced, super-organized, super homeschooling moms.

I am the poster child for disorganized homeschoolers, and WWE is so easy to do without the workbook. This week I'm using our history reading (whoot -- 2 subjects done at once!). It took me less than 5 minutes to organize the entire thing for the week. Other weeks I use our read alouds. I haven't used our science yet because I'm not that impressed with the writing level in any of the science books we're using, but dd wants to.

. I find that for me personally, the workbook ensures that it gets done, because it's just open and go.

Whereas for me, if I had to use the workbook I'd be more likely to drop it, because I'd need to tweak something, or dd would want to read the ENTIRE BOOK the passage came from (wow, how many hours would that add to each week? -- frightening to think about!) and it would just take waaaaay more time than I'd want spend.

As a matter of fact, WWE has given me insight on how to use Classical Writing with my older dd -- I don't think I'd understand the 2 programs so well if I'd just followed along with the workbooks.