Menu

How to Grow Fresh Air - heard of this book?

I can't remember where I read about that, but I thought it was interesting.

My problem is that I have mold allergies and have been encouraged to not have *any* plants in the house because of the fact that mold almost always grows in the dirt of houseplants. If I didn't have that problem, I'd definitely be following through and would probably have quite a few houseplants. I can't remember which ones were suggested as especially efficient though.

I used to keep some plants to clean the air, but with an immune compromised son that is a no no. We do plan to get plants for the house again once his system is up to it again. My middle DS has mold allergies, but thankfully the mold in the dirt does not bother him or we kept the soil drained, not sure which.

The tags on plants at Lowe's mention that plants are natural 'air filters'. I never would have guessed that someone had written a whole book about the concept, LOL. I'd think there would be a website about it, or mentioning the 'cleanest plants'. Thanks for posting, I'd never heard of the book.

http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/air_cleaners.htm

We are very successful with are philodendrons. They don't require much light.

They are poisonous to people and animals, but my mom had one throughout our entire life at home, and I have cuttings from hers (it's actually about 50 years old). We have never had a person or animal mess with them. I guess it all depends on your children and pets.

Oh, I see spider plants are on the list. They're very easy to grow indoors as well. Maybe we'll buy one of these.

We also keep aloe and african violets indoors (on the kitchen windowsill).

Edited by nestof3

I have this book. It is an interesting read, but no, I don't keep any plants specifically for the air-purifying qualities. We have a LOT of houseplants, and I figure they all do something to help clean the air. My kids are still little, so our plants have to be kept out of reach, and I'm running out of places to put them!

The only plants I keep for a purpose are aloe vera.