Menu

What topics would you include in a frugal living blog..

I've volunteered to start a frugal living blog at our church. We live in an area that is dependent on real estate and tourism. Many families that have always lived extravagantly are now faced with not being able to provide for their family. Here's topics I've come up with so far:

Budgeting 101 and how to make a debt snowball

Angel food ministries and other food ministries in our area

Feeding your family for less

Recipes for Angel Food ministries

How to obtain healthcare when you have no insurance

Finding family togetherness and creating fun in times of trouble

Encouraging church fellowship in times of trouble

Refocusing our priorities.

Anything I'm missing?

Any good links I can use for frugal living?

Any book recommendations?

how to do everyday things in such a way that they end up costing you less --maybe a "little habits that pack a financial punch" type of thing. Tips.

car tips:

using distilled water in your radiator, proper tire inflation, oil changes, etc = costing less in repairs down the road and increase fuel efficiency

home maintenance tips: adjusting thermostats, timers, investing in tankless water heater and/or energy efficient appliances

consumer tips: shopping around for comparisons and buying car/ life/ other insurance a full year at a time instead of monthly.

local resources --like here in the DFW area... thrift stores, farmer's markets, library sales, pilgrim's pride =cheap chicken, etc.

books: The Tightad Gazette.

sites: hillbilly housewife, dollar stretcher newsletter.

I do weekly frugal living/bugeting topics on my blog. The ones I do are:

Monday deals (CVS extra care bucks, K-mart double coupons, Walgreens, Target)--sometimes, I have pictures of what we actually buy and I show how much it costs us and what kind of coupons we used.

Tuesday Organization or Time Management tips

Wednesday Reviews (I review a book, website or something else that helps us in homeschool, organization, time or money management or even makes us a little money)

Thursday Grocery Deals (I go through my Kroger and Marsh ads and match up coupons to find the best deals that week)

You can click on the link to my blog and see what I have been doing. I also have posts about sites that will help you in coupon useage and places to print coupons.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

It floors me (when I think about it) how few intelligent, educated adults use their library system.

And, as hs know, it's packed with so many life enhancing things: books, CD's, DVD's, mags etc. etc. ETC.

I honestly think you should have a part on Getting to Your Library 101. :)

Alicia

Maybe a weekly/monthly challenge to help people break bad financial habits?

My husband and I put a moratorium on discretionary spending for the month of February - no spending except bills, pre-planned groceries and fuel - and it has made us much more mindful of where we are tempted to needlessly spend. As part of this, we have also committed to cooking out of the pantry/freezer all month - no eating out, running out for an ingredient, etc.

It has been enlightening, and we have become much more mindful of our spending.

It floors me (when I think about it) how few intelligent, educated adults use their library system.

And, as hs know, it's packed with so many life enhancing things: books, CD's, DVD's, mags etc. etc. ETC.

I honestly think you should have a part on Getting to Your Library 101. :)

Alicia

oh, I know what's in there!

...cuz I've paid a MINT in late fees on those items exactly, LOL!

so for some of us, the library is not a very budget-conscious option.

{{says the gal who is VP of our Library Board....ack!}}

How to have FUN on a budget! There are a lot of families who would appreciate knowing how to go on a day trip or spend the weekend doing very low-cost or free things. Tours, free places to have fun, frugal and creative activity ideas, etc. Too much of the saving money process is just NOT enjoyable, IMO, and can seem like another chore. (Yes, I realize some people do think coupons and such are fun.) Frugal families--by choice or by circumstance--deserve to have fun, too, but just aren't sure how. :)

:iagree:I agree. I always get a library card in the first month of moving somewhere new. I am always shocked to find out my family or friends have lived in an are for years and have never even gotten a library card.:blink:

Also to answer the OP I think a place for recipes would be good. Eating in is way cheaper than eating out. Also you could have recipes for homemade things that are cheaper to make than to buy, like bread, yogurt, cookies, soups. Cleaning products are another thing that are very cheap to make and work great. Using vinager to clean, baking soda to scrub greasy items or sopa scum and even homemade laundry detergent.

Good luck!