Menu

Your favorite Nintendo DS software for kids?

Mine have played quite a few games, both those we own and those friends own. They enjoy all of the Mario games, the Star Wars Legos games, Nintendogs - lots of different versions, Horsez (although the horses can get sick, unlike the healthy dogs in Nintendogs, and that got a little traumatic for awhile there), the Pokemon games (although less than the others), and Madden football. They have also played Brain Age and Brain Boost, which they think are okay, but not as much fun as the others. I've heard good things about Animal Crossing, but they haven't played it yet.

HTH!

Professor Layton's Curious Village (puzzles, etc.), Brain Age. Animal Genius.

Ds would say Club Penguin (you can get points easily and use them on your online account. I, however, don't recommend CP as it can be VERY addictive for kids. Also Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars- the Complete Saga.

I'd like to try My Spanish Coach, My Word Coach, My Spelling Coach, etc. There's Spanish for Everyone. Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

Has anyone tried those in the last paragraph? Are they worth the money?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, everyone! We bought a Nintendogs -- pretty silly, but I can't pull kids away from it. And Professor Layton -- thanks for that suggestion -- it is such a cut way of doing logic. We to are hoping to try the Spanish Coach program. But these games are all $$$$$$$. (We are used to GameCube games as low as $3.)

LNC

Just saw your question. The DS has a small screen -- the touch pen is easy to use, but requires some manual dexterity and pretty good eye/hand coordination, at least on the games we have. The actual DS unit is small - about the size of a checkbook, so you would want to make sure the child can keep track of it, or be prepared to do help him/her with that. I don't know enough about specific games to make any judgements on that score.

One series of programs (for computer) that I would highly recommend for special needs - and typical - kids is the Professor Fizzwizzle series by Grubby Games. There are 3 games in the series and you can download a demo.

http://grubbygames.com/

You might considering covers for the screens since the bottom one especially can get scratched from frequent play. Also if there's a GameStop near you, their return policy is great for used games. Used games for games systems (but not PC games) can be returned for either a refund or an exchange within about 7 days. For the past year, we've only bought used games from them because of the return policy. Some of the games appear fun from the package or advertising but are uninteresting.

Judy