Menu

Do you dream of starting a cottage school?

When I say cottage school I'm thinking a UMS. 2-3 days a week at school and the other days at home.

Drew Campbell helped start one in NY and it just looks fabulous. It has been my dream for a couple of years and a UMS is starting an hour away. They need an admin and would be happy to offer the position to me and are open to classical but I just think about all of that drive time, with 3 kids still at home-ack! And they want to start "small" -k-3rd, which would leave my 2 boys out.

But, it's like I'm obssessed thinking about it and rsearching it.

No, but I dream of starting a tutoring business for high-schoolers in English and writing. I've tutored a few students over the years, and now I've acquired a student after a loooong break. I am really enjoying this! I think after homeschooling that tutoring is a logical step, even more logical than a cottage school, in some ways.

• 15 years later...
37 minutes ago, Michelle My Bell said:

This is such an old post. I wonder if anyone ever started a cottage school? A term I see now is Microschool which I think is the same thing. 

I don't think any of these posters are still on the boards. Their kids probably have kids of their own now!

My kids are all grown now also... my youngest is just about to turn 18 and my oldest is about to have her 3rd baby! lol.  I am thinking of starting a cottage school in the next year or so. Since 2020, it seems that so many more people are open to alternative methods of schooling for their kids but not everyone is willing or able to homeschool. I had such a passion for homeschooling, I feel like I would absolutely love having my own mini-school.

I am currently working as an RN which is not my passion. But my wages are high enough that I could fund the opening of this school in 2025. I would be so happy to walk away from nursing and get back to my true passion. 

• Like 3

Microschools usually meet 5 days per week, while cottage schools generally met 2-3 days per week.

We have a classical microschool at our church and it covers grades 1-8, with 2 1/2 teachers.

Cottage schools that I have seen usually were homeschool hybrids with 1 or 2 teachers covering all subjects in two days per week with assigned homework and homeschooling for the other days.  They tended to be focussed around either science or history IME.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1