Menu

What can I do with a pound of stew beef besides...

Brown it, then add 1/4 c red wine, 1/2 c water, 1-2 beef boullion cubes, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme. Simmer until tender and serve with noodles.

Or cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Make a marinade with red wine, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, black pepper, and a little sesame seed oil if you have some. Marinade for at least an hour, then stir fry. You can add some water chestnuts, mushrooms, pea pods, or whatever you have on hand. Serve with rice.

Other than making beef stew what can I do with a pound of stew beef? I took this meat out yesterday and didn't want stew then. Now I have to use it, and still don't want stew. Any ideas?

We use stew beef for enchilladas. Just brown, then add a can of tomato sauce, water to cover, salt and pepper. Let cook for 2 hours. Take meat out, and shread. Use the liquid as a base for the sauce. I usualy use the spice packets, and just add it to the stock.. If I don't have one I will use this recipie. http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe.html Wrap meat up in flour tortillas, pour sauce \over(don't fry, or add any sauce to meat before wrapping) top with cheese. Cover cook at 350 for 20 minutes!

How do you make a meat pie or pasties?

I'd like to know how to make either one of those.

We use stew beef for enchilladas. Just brown, then add a can of tomato sauce, water to cover, salt and pepper. Let cook for 2 hours. Take meat out, and shread. Use the liquid as a base for the sauce. I usualy use the spice packets, and just add it to the stock.. If I don't have one I will use this recipie. http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe.html Wrap meat up in flour tortillas, pour sauce \over(don't fry, or add any sauce to meat before wrapping) top with cheese. Cover cook at 350 for 20 minutes!

Enchiladas! Sounds good. I think I'm going to try these.

I use stew beef for making beef and broccoli.

Then again I like the sound of that too.

Thanks everyone.

How do you make a meat pie or pasties?[/quote

Pasties are quite common in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. Their history is that they are an individual meat pie that Men would take to work in their lunch pail and put them on a piece of machinery that was hot and they would cook and be ready to eat by lunch time.

Basically is a mini pie. Make a pie crust dough and cut into circles.

On each circle I put meat (I prefer it cooked, but recipes do say to use raw meat ) potatoes and onions. Other fillings could be rutabaga (very traditional) and carrots. Fold the dough over the filling and bake. 20 mins is probably enough if the meat is cooked. I have no clue how long to bake if you use raw meat.

Serve it with ketchup or gravy.

Pasties are quite common in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan. Their history is that they are an individual meat pie that Men would take to work in their lunch pail and put them on a piece of machinery that was hot and they would cook and be ready to eat by lunch time.

On each circle I put meat (I prefer it cooked, but recipes do say to use raw meat ) potatoes and onions. Other fillings could be rutabaga (very traditional) and carrots. Fold the dough over the filling and bake. 20 mins is probably enough if the meat is cooked. I have no clue how long to bake if you use raw meat.

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds really good.

Thanks for the recipe.

Dh and his coworkers used to do something similar to the machinery cooking. They would heat up their meals by putting them (in an appropriate container) on the dash of the truck and letting the defroster warm them.