Menu

What are the basics that need to be learned in a sewing class?

I teach a teen girls' art class, and the girls want to just focus on sewing next year. So far, we have covered (or it is in my plans to cover for next year)

Quilting: machine piecing, as well as hand piecing. (They are almost done with nine-patch quilts that we have been working on this winter, and we will be working on charm quilts that will be all hand-pieced.) They know how to plan a quilt pattern, deal with fabric choice, use the mat and cutter and iron safely, etc. We will tie the nine patch quilts, but I will teach them to do the quilting on the next quilt they do.

Learning to use a pattern (American Doll clothes for one girl, not sure what patterns the other two would do as they aren't into dolls. Thoughts on a simple pattern?).

What other basic sewing skills do I need to teach them? Two girls will be using what we do for high school credit- I just want to make sure I cover things. I have been amazed at how many of the basics can be taught with quilting, and that's mostly what they want to do, but if there is something else I am forgetting, let me know, ok?

LB

One of the first things I made as a teenager was a simple tunic top, sleeveless, and a pair of shorts. I actually think a top and skirt might be a better choice. Simple hemming is a valuable skill. I loved knowing I MADE what I was wearing.

Aprons are a good choice, also, and so very popular right now.

I What other basic sewing skills do I need to teach them?.. if there is something else I am forgetting, let me know, ok?

Ummmm...hello?!?! How about the all-important, "Have a mother and/or friend who sews and can do repairs for you?"

Duhhh!!!!

:D:D:D

Sigh. I'll never part with my Bernina. Because it serves so much purpose...sitting unused in a cupboard.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I did earn an "A" on my apron in 7th grade home ec...but I really wanted to be in woodworking class. Oh! And I do cross-stitch. Which is of course utterly useless, save for creating "stuff". But I'm glad of it, nonetheless, because I like to watch the look of surprise on people's faces when they hear I cross-stitch. LOL

Edited by Colleen

One of the first things I made as a teenager was a simple tunic top, sleeveless, and a pair of shorts. I actually think a top and skirt might be a better choice. Simple hemming is a valuable skill. I loved knowing I MADE what I was wearing.

Aprons are a good choice, also, and so very popular right now.

Thanks, Happy! I really like the apron idea, and that would give them a taste of hemming, too.

LB

Back in my home ec days (a requirement at my Jr High for both boys and girls) . . .

Sewing on a button

Using a sewing maching (threading and bobbin winding, along with the names of the parts and how to make simple adjustments, like tension).

We sewed a simple drawstring bag from a set of directions (no pattern as it was a rectangle). Included needing to make the tube, sheath for the drawstring and sewing two pieces together.

We also sewed a letter pillow from a pattern. They were balloon shaped letters so they all included needing to make cuts to allow you to turn the piece inside out. Stuffing and finishing a stuffed piece. [Note: we were taught to copy the pattern onto an old paper grocery bag or butcher paper. This made for a more durable pattern and allowed the class to use one pattern set instead of one per student.]

I taught myself to sew a lot doing American Girl sized dolls and doll clothes.

I wish that I'd learned how to hem. It would also be nice to learn how to make simple curtains (like nice toppers with a tube for the curtain rod). This is something that I actually have needed to make over the years.

Maybe a simple shoulder bag (I'd love to make one out of a recycled aloha shirt or two). I don't know that making clothes is generally practical once you consider the cost of the fabric. With the possible exception of special occasion dresses. I think that it can be hard to find just what you want in terms of color and style, without being willing to put some work in on it yourself. (I did once do a maternity jumper in really nice sparkly fabric that I wore over a silk shirt do go to a Christmas formal when I was very pregnant. There are things that I'd do differently, but I loved that dress.) I also love the idea of restructuring old clothes. There is a talented lady in Hawaii who takes old mu'u mu'u and makes lovely sundresses out of them.

My son really wants to learn to make Beanie Baby style stuffed animals. I found a book with nice simple patterns at Hobby Lobby when we were in the US.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I'd say machine repairs and body blocking. While we're on the topic of body blocking, I need to finish the cotehardie I started two years ago. My hot tip to your youngsters: Don't try making a cotehardie out of linen. Use wool. Wish someone had told me that... Oh, and applique! I'm sure there's a trick to that and I don't have it!!

Rosie-wishes she'd been taught the basics thoroughly and intends to take a class in two years time...

I'd say machine repairs and body blocking. While we're on the topic of body blocking, I need to finish the cotehardie I started two years ago. My hot tip to your youngsters: Don't try making a cotehardie out of linen. Use wool. Wish someone had told me that... Oh, and applique! I'm sure there's a trick to that and I don't have it!!

Rosie-wishes she'd been taught the basics thoroughly and intends to take a class in two years time...

What is body blocking? What is a cotehardie??? I am so stupid!

LB

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Some things I would suggest are:

Interfacing

zippers

Maybe something with an elastic waistband either pj pants or a skirt.

gathering

Ooohhh- zippers scare me- haven't sewn one of those since *I* was in home ec! But I like the idea of pj pants.

Thanks!

Ummmm...hello?!?! How about the all-important, "Have a mother and/or friend who sews and can do repairs for you?"

Duhhh!!!!

:D:D:D

Sigh. I'll never part with my Bernina. Because it serves so much purpose...sitting unused in a cupboard.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I did earn an "A" on my apron in 7th grade home ec...but I really wanted to be in woodworking class. Oh! And I do cross-stitch. Which is of course utterly useless, save for creating "stuff". But I'm glad of it, nonetheless, because I like to watch the look of surprise on people's faces when they hear I cross-stitch. LOL

That gave me a giggle. It's funny, cuz I am only teaching sewing because the girls want me to- I don't really enjoy it myself much at all! I enjoy teaching it far more than doing it. I would much rather have a canvas, brushes, and paints in my hands than a seam ripper and machine.

I remember being so pis*ed that girls couldn't do woodworking like the boys did, and we got stuck making soufles and stoopid skirts, lol.

oh- whatever you do, don't get rid of your Bernina (unless you give it to me, tee hee) because a good machine is worth its weight in gold. I think I would like sewing more if I had a good machine.

LB

Back in my home ec days (a requirement at my Jr High for both boys and girls) . . .

Sewing on a button

Using a sewing maching (threading and bobbin winding, along with the names of the parts and how to make simple adjustments, like tension).

We sewed a simple drawstring bag from a set of directions (no pattern as it was a rectangle). Included needing to make the tube, sheath for the drawstring and sewing two pieces together.

We also sewed a letter pillow from a pattern. They were balloon shaped letters so they all included needing to make cuts to allow you to turn the piece inside out. Stuffing and finishing a stuffed piece. [Note: we were taught to copy the pattern onto an old paper grocery bag or butcher paper. This made for a more durable pattern and allowed the class to use one pattern set instead of one per student.]

I taught myself to sew a lot doing American Girl sized dolls and doll clothes.

I wish that I'd learned how to hem. It would also be nice to learn how to make simple curtains (like nice toppers with a tube for the curtain rod). This is something that I actually have needed to make over the years.

Maybe a simple shoulder bag (I'd love to make one out of a recycled aloha shirt or two). I don't know that making clothes is generally practical once you consider the cost of the fabric. With the possible exception of special occasion dresses. I think that it can be hard to find just what you want in terms of color and style, without being willing to put some work in on it yourself. (I did once do a maternity jumper in really nice sparkly fabric that I wore over a silk shirt do go to a Christmas formal when I was very pregnant. There are things that I'd do differently, but I loved that dress.) I also love the idea of restructuring old clothes. There is a talented lady in Hawaii who takes old mu'u mu'u and makes lovely sundresses out of them.

My son really wants to learn to make Beanie Baby style stuffed animals. I found a book with nice simple patterns at Hobby Lobby when we were in the US.

Lots of great ideas here! Some we have already done, which pleases me, like the button sewing, and knowing the sewing machine. My dd has asked that we do drawstring bags, so we will add that too.

I agree that clothes making is not very practical these days, but I think we will focus on the doll clothes- that way if they want to make clothes later, they will have the pattern skills.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Here's my short list of beginners projects.

1. A lesson in using the machine and learning to controle fabric movement combine with a lesson on pressing and all the tools needed in that area. Send them home to practice on the family's ironing basket.

2. A book bag, apron, or pillow - simple pattern cutting, straight line sewing and pressing.

I often put a trip to the fabric store in here as a field trip. Your students need to be introduced to the kinds and places where the best beginner fabrics are hidden. They should know the difference between good quality and junk. The same section of fabrics in my JoAnn's can have alot of junk and just a few gems. They need to know that the most glamorous fancy fabrics will not give them the best results until they build their skill levels.....even at advanced skill levels alot of the fancy fabrics at JoAnn's are such junk that I won't touch them....I must go to a better quality independent fabric store for bridal, high quality dress weights, and wools. If your students are young, make sure the parent in charge of purchases attends this lesson. They need to know and reinforce the information given here. The wrong choice of pattern or material will doom a project before a single cut has been made.

3. PJ bottoms in flannel - fit isn't too important here and small mistakes aren't either

- layout and fabric pattern discussion, seam finishes, curved seams, elastic casings and simple hems.

4. an pencil or A-line shirt in a solid denim or twill - additional skills are handling interfacing and a waistband, zipper with waistband closure, more discussion about grainline, perhaps flat feld seams and invisible hemming

5. A camp shirt with a bust dart in cotton - this adds more fitting, simple sleeves, and collar and collar points without a collar stand and buttons and buttonholes.

6. Come back to the skirt pattern and do it again in wool or for your best students a wool plaid - here the lesson is dealing with a different fabric, the importance of proper pressing techniques, and lining a garment.

7. Come back to the camp shirt and extend the pattern to make a shirt dress in a cotton shirting - this project should introduce the idea of pattern modification as well as bring all the elements of the previous lessons together for a final project.

This list would be appropriate for a years worth of work for a highschooler with a once a week lesson, or a semesters work in college with two class periods per week.

Don't forget .....this is my pet peeve.... the most important skill in sewing is NOT machine operation but rather PRESSING. The most perfectly sewn seam will still look badly made if not properly pressed. Pressing rather than sewing it the difference between custom/couture and handmade/homemade. In fact they should be learning a whole group of skills from pattern choice to shopping for good qualilty fabrics, fabric prepartion, pattern layout and cutting, lining, interlining, and interfacing, seams and seam finishes, proper pressing techniques, garment closures and garment finishing. Emphasize that your students are learning custom clothing construction rather than sewing.

And that student who's making doll clothes......I'm sorry but rip that right out of that child's hands. She needs to be working on full sized items. Human sized clothing is infinately easier for a beginner, especially a young person. Doll clothes are small and the room or error is shrunk as well. They have a completely different set of fitting and contruction techniques. They don't include the right set of skills to transfer to human sized clothing. She needs to be making clothing for herself. If she only wants to make doll clothes, then she needs a doll clothes class. If her mother doesn't want to spend the money for real clothing, then the mother needs a word in her ear and they need to make a different decision.

Edited by Anne Rittenhouse

Peeking in to say hi--I was just thinking you hadn't posted in a while and I went to TW to see if you were there--glad to know you are resurrecting your blog soon!

BTW, I think an nice apron, either in a "around the waist only" style or a bib-style, would be fun. I've also seen pretty notebook covers and cell phone covers that look easy and demand accuracy in the cutting (but you already do that with quilting, I suppose!). Anyway, nice to "see" you!