Menu

I need advice on the best probiotic for a sick 3 year old

Quick version of the story:

Ds3 has the flu. Went to the ped. yesterday, got zithromax. Now he's got diarrhea :ack2: on top of everything else. Called the doc, talked to the (very nice and reassuring) nurse, who said give him culturelle. I looked it up online, and WOW it's pricey.

He's not got much of an appetite, but he will eat yogurt. But not yogurt with bits of fruit in it. He'll either eat fruit OR yogurt, but doesn't like them together. :glare: Is there a yogurt that has good probiotics in it that is 'smooth', or does all yogurt have probiotics? I'm new to all of this, but I really think it would help him feel better faster.

Any other recommendations on probiotic brands that I can mix into things? The nurse said that Culturelle is tasteless and that I could put it in anything. I've got a few hours to run to the store to get something before I have to leave ds with my husband so I can go visit my sister who just had a kidney transplant yesterday, so there's a lot going on here in my brain! Any good, quick advice is welcome.

ETA: He's taking zithromax because he has an ear infection. I'm not a 'fan' of antibiotics, but he was clearly not going to be able to kick this one on his own.

Edited by bethanyniez

I don't worry about brand so much, but I do make sure I get probiotics from the refrigerated sections.

I've been giving my 1 yr old and 4 yr old powdered probiotics w/apple juice in a shot glass. With just a little juice, I can be sure they get it all. I'll update with what brand I have in a bit (I can't remember lol).

Nature's Way - http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8198192788212070220&at=0 (didn't buy it here though, I got it at our local health food store)

Edited by jojomojo

Nature's Way is the best brand that I've found for probiotics.

Our Kroger carries NW, but not the children's variety.

If he can't swallow, you could sprinkle it over something that he's eating.

I would wait until the antibiotic dose is over to take it, though.

It could cancel out the antibiotics effects if taken at the same time........

You can get him some vanilla yogurt; it's sweet without the fruit~

Nature's Way is the best brand that I've found for probiotics.

Our Kroger carries NW, but not the children's variety.

If he can't swallow, you could sprinkle it over something that he's eating.

I would wait until the antibiotic dose is over to take it, though.

It could cancel out the antibiotics effects if taken at the same time........

You can get him some vanilla yogurt; it's sweet without the fruit~

The probiotic should still help if taken at least 2 hours after every antibiotic dose. Or, I guess halfway between each dose would work too. He may not get the full benefit, but it should still help :)

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Yes, there is yogurt without fruit. Usually vanilla or plain flavored. Trader Joe's also has a vanilla/banana. All milk based yogurt I have ever seen has acidophilus as a probiotic and sometimes they also have added one too. There are refrigerated chocolate bars by the yogurt that also are a probiotic source.

We have Baby Jarro-dophilus that I buy at Whole Foods and/or New Seasons. It isn't cheap though...usually in the $15 range. It is a powdered form and mixes easily with water or anything else.

I like the Jarro brand products and have had good luck with them.

I do agree that for what you need, just about any brand of Pro-biotic will probably help. Don't let the price keep you from buying it, thinking that the cheaper ones won't work.

The probiotic should still help if taken at least 2 hours after every antibiotic dose. Or, I guess halfway between each dose would work too. He may not get the full benefit, but it should still help :)

Hope he's feeling better soon!

I hate to keep posting to this, but my degree is in holistic nutrition, and it is just a waste of money to take probiotics and antibiotics at the same time. You can't take one product to kill bacteria and and another to add bacteria and get a satisfactory result from either. It's just not possible. The best time to replenish your good bacteria is right after your antibiotic prescription is finished. A probiotic used too soon will not give the antibiotic a chance to work, thus ensuring that your body may build up a resistance to antibiotics, in general. Now, you can take a natural antibiotic (colloidal silver, echinacea, etc.) and probiotics at the same time, as the chemical makeup is different. But not a prescription one.

Edited by 5Youngs
spelling

I hate to keep posting to this, but my degree is in holistic nutrition, and it is just a waste of money to take probiotics and antibiotics at the same time. You can't take one product to kill bacteria and and another to add bacteria and get a satisfactory result from either. It's just not possible. The best time to replenish your good bacteria is right after your antibiotic prescription is finished. A probiotic used too soon will not give the antibiotic a chance to work, thus ensuring that your body may build up a resistance to antibiotics, in general. Now, you can take a natural antibiotic (colloidal silver, echinacea, etc.) and probiotics at the same time, as the chemical makeup is different. But not a prescription one.

Interesting...so why then do pharmacists suggest a patient take a probiotic along with antibiotics all the time? I don't mean this as a challenge...but a sincere question. I can understand that an antibiotic will kill a significant amount of the probiotic, but I have never heard that the pro-biotic will negatively effect the antibiotic if taken hours apart.

Do you have links to research to show this? I would like to discuss it with the pharmacists I work with and see what their take is on it. I hate to think that we are recommending something that is truly counter-effective. Even the holistic-trained, licenced pharmacist I know recommends this therapy, so it would be interesting to see what studies out there are showing in this field.

Interesting...so why then do pharmacists suggest a patient take a probiotic along with antibiotics all the time? I don't mean this as a challenge...but a sincere question. I can understand that an antibiotic will kill a significant amount of the probiotic, but I have never heard that the pro-biotic will negatively effect the antibiotic if taken hours apart.

Do you have links to research to show this? I would like to discuss it with the pharmacists I work with and see what their take is on it. I hate to think that we are recommending something that is truly counter-effective. Even the holistic-trained, licenced pharmacist I know recommends this therapy, so it would be interesting to see what studies out there are showing in this field.

Ok, this is EXACTLY what I was gonna ask. The nurse at my pediatrician suggested that I give him probiotics, knowing, 'cuz I just told her, that he is on an antibiotic. But in the back of my head, I was thinking, well, how does that not cancel each other out, so to speak?

I got some yogurt with extra probiotics in it, but I think I'll wait a few more days until his antibiotic is done to give it to him. Provided that the diarrhea doesn't get worse.

Antibiotics are categorized into different drug classes including aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, macrolides, penicillins, quinolones, and tetracyclins. Each drug class destroys bacteria in a different way. For instance, some drugs kill bacteria by interrupting a stage of the bacteria's life cycle. Other drugs may slow down or stop bacteria from multiplying, which then allows the body's immune system to kill the bacteria.

Pharmacists, doctors, and everyone else on the planet are less than 100% accurate in their information. There HAVE been new studies that have 'suggested' that probiotics and antibiotics are not contraindicated. That is NOT the same as saying that they are effective when taken together. Prescriptions that are taken together usually have to kill or injure someone before pharmacists and doctors tell their patients not to take them together. There are insane amounts of information on the internet on natural health.

I prefer books by learned experts. This is not new information, it's been around for hundreds, some of it for thousands of years. Doctors and pharmacists are not taught years of in depth classes on this subject, so they would not be experts on natural health, in my humble opinion.

I'm just using my right to reply to a thread that was started by someone else, and I'm not going to hijack it and have an endless debate.

Now, if someone wants to start another thread on this, I'm in~;)

• 4 months later...

Re: the wisdom of taking probiotic bacteria and antibacterials, it can depend a lot on the specific drug. For example, at least one of the antibacterials used to treat chronic UTIs in kids is notable for its minimal effect on gut bacteria. So taking probiotic bacteria with that antibacterial would be reasonable. However, with many others, taking probiotic bacteria during a course of antibacterials is just silly.

Some practitioners believe a probiotic yeast called Saccharomyces boulardii is a better choice during antibacterial therapy. It is non-colonizing (doesn't stick around long) and because it is a yeast, it is not affected by most antibacterials. Unfortunately, it is both expensive and much harder to find. A link to one article abstract can be found here.

We use a combo of Custom Probiotics and Klaire labs probiotics.

I agree with Jplain about using the Saccharomyces boulardii.

It's great to use with antibiotic therapy. And like 5youngs said, use the regular probiotics after treatment.

Instead, just load up on yogurt or even better would be kefir. These are more hardy in your gut so is less likely to be disturbed by the antibiotics.